Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Nappies

Learn More

Rolling Rss

My daughter is just 5 months old and isn't rolling yet. My maternal and child health nurse said that they should at least be rolling from front to back by now. My daughter can do all the other things a 5 month old should be doing, she just doesn't seem to want to roll. I'm worry that this could be the start of gross motor problems - am i just being an over anxious mother?

Alison, Vic, Abby 2.5 yrs, Poppy 5 mths

Hi Alison,

My little boy wasn't rolling at 5 months either (I was worried too), I spoke to a physio who told me to not let anyone tell my what my baby should be doing - babies develop at their own pace.

The physio told me to encourage him by continuing with lots of tummy time, putting toys all around for him to reach out to, and to play games with him rolling him onto his side and back.

He's since rolled (it was an accident at first!) from front to back and has done it a few times now. He now also goes from his back to his side (he can't quite kick his leg over to go onto his tummy though) while playing with toys.

Weirdly enough, a baby from my Mothers Group is 6 months and can roll from back to tummy but not the other way around! So all babies are definitely different!

Good luck with your little girl!
alarron

that is terrible that your health nurse said that about your baby she should know better than anyone that babies develop differently and 5 months certainly isn't late for them to be rolling.

bennett is 5 mths tomorrow and he has rolled once and that was only a couple of days ago.

Don't stress - she will roll when she is good and ready!!!

Steph VIC Mummy to one gorgeous boy

This post has been edited by the moderator.
Hi Alison
My daughter is 8 months old and hardlly ever rolls over. I probably only see her do it once a week! She is just not interested in rolling. Dont stress out about it, because she will probably be rolling all over the place before you know it
My son is just 5 months and has been rolling for a month or so. He has now progressed to multiple rolls and it's driving me nuts!! Nowhere is safe all of a sudden. Count your blessings while you still know where they are! Just kidding..My kids have all developed at very different paces and have been on both sides of the developmental scale. Try not to worry, like the others said, your baby will do it in time. I feel obligated to mention, though, that those milestone recommendations are in place to give indications to parents and professionals that there could be potential problems. While those markers are only a generalisation, they are worth watching. The real problem is the lack of unity in the advice and opinions of health professionals! One doctor will say one thing and one will say something else. Follow your instincts and baby will be fine.

Domestic Goddess Mum of Four!

Hi

My daughter is nearly 11 months old and she only started to roll from front to back at about 6 months. A month or so later she was rolling both ways but I was not concerned about when this happened.
She then started to crawl at about 8 1/2 months and is rolling, flopping and crawling all over the place - she won't sit still.
I think sometimes child health nurses stick by the book too much and don't take the individual baby into account. I tend to take what my health nurse says with a grain of salt.
I say don't worry yet, wait for a couple more months and see how she goes.

Kristi

4 lovely munchkins DD 10/03, DD 03/05, DS 10/06 &

My daughter rolled from front to back at 5 months and back to front just recently, she is almost 7 months.... However she totally hates rolling and only do it if really need to.

?Anni? QLD, Mummy 2 Courtney & Madisyn040.05)

UPDATE smile

Benntt rolled from front to back last night so now he has gone each way once smile

Steph

Steph VIC Mummy to one gorgeous boy

Hooray! Well done Bennett!!

Domestic Goddess Mum of Four!

Hi alarron,
My daughter has been rolling belly to back for about 6 weeks. We just had lots of tummy time, and made a big fuss over her anytime she tried to roll.It became a big game for her and she was doing it before we knew it. But she cant yet roll back to tummy, only to her side so far!

Jordan 7/3/01 & Ashleigh 5/4/04

They are all indeed very different. My son is almost 8 months old. Has been rolling from back to tummy for over 3 months but still has not worked out how to move that bloody arm that stops him from going from tummy to back. Concerned? not at all, he will get the idea one day!
But he is almost crawling and can walk holding onto my hands already!!

Jodie, Qld. Madison (09/09/00), Ashton (22/01/04)

Sign in to follow this topic