Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Nappies

Learn More

Hates Tummy Time Lock Rss

Hi,

I figure Olivia will either eventually crawl and then eventually walk or she'll crawl and then start walking pretty quickly or she'll just walk and skip crawling altogether. Whatever she does doesn't matter, she'll do it her way in her own time. All I can do is encourage her along the way.

I will continue to give her tummy time whenever she is happy to do it.

Will update on any progress!

Thanks

I don't know if it's just my imagination but Olivia seems to be tolerating tummy time a bit better the last few days. She's staying there for a bit longer, maybe 5 minutes at a time which is a great improvment for her. She's also using her arms a bit more while she's on her tummy rather than just flapping them about.

Hopefully she'll keep this up and her arms will get stronger.

I don't think she'll be anywhere near crawling or walking for a few months yet but then she is still only 8 months old.

The upside is that I can still put her down and know she won't go too far and get into mischief. (o:

That's great to hear! Glad all is going well.

Jordan is actually starting to try and move abit when on his tummy which he now rolls over onto everytime I put him on his back!

Hope everything goes well and she gets closer and closer to crawling.

I wouldn't worry either, some babies skip the crawling all together and move onto standing and walking, and your baby may just be one of those!...

Heléna

Liam Evan, 2

Hooray, Olivia has finally figured out how to get from her front to her back. I didn't think it would ever happen. Now instead of cracking the sads when she's on her tummy, she just flips herself over. It's not very graceful but she's getting there.

She did it just in time too, we have her 8 months checkup this morning. I can tell there nurse that there has been some progress.

She can get herself from back to front but hasn't done it for a long time.

Update on Olivia.

She has now been rolling to one side for about 2 weeks now. She is getting better and faster all the time. We are now at a very frustrating stage where she keeps rolling until she comes accross and obsticle like a wall and then gets upset.

Can anyone tell me roughly how long it takes for them to learn to roll to the other side?

Mum to (Olivia 3 Feb 2004) & (Emily 26 Jan 2006)

Somtimes they never learn to roll the other way! My sister could leave her 10 month old lying on the lounge because he could only roll one way. At 2 1/2 he still can't roll the other way or turn the other way. Very strange... The frustration is good for your daughter though as it makes her try and work out how to get around the obsticle. Are you finding it harder now that she can move? I know I did as I couldn't go to the loo without thinking about what she could get into.

Cymantha, NSW, DD 20/12/2003

Olivia gets very frustrated when she's against an obsticle and can't roll over it. But she does seem to try more then.

It is a lot harder now that she's on the move. I swear the minute I turn my back on her she's off and for a baby who only rolls to one side she sure can move.

Time for the safety gates I think.

Hi All,

I've been very interested to read these posts. My daughter is 5 1/2 months old and hates tummy time as well. She use to just drop her head in her hands and cry (quite cute really). We've progressed from there and now she knows how to roll from front to back so as soon as we put her on her tummy, no more than 5 seconds later she has rolled back over.

I've tried the towel idea a couple of times which seems to make her last longer on her tummy but she she cries and rolls over.

At the moment I'm not too worried about it. I'm sure she will roll back to front eventually, I'll just keep persisting with her tummy.

As other's have said, it just means that I don't have to worry about her moving around at the moment.

Hope all the mum's are well and enjoying their precious little bubs.

Mum & Baby Girl 31.05.04

Hi Bri,

Glad to hear that Olivia is getting around by rolling! I have seen a 6 month old do that at storybook time at the library and over the weeks she is progressing to getting up on her knees! Hopefully Olivia will be doing this soon.

Update on Jordan he is now crawling! Started a couple of weeks ago commando crawling and now is mixing it with bum crawling as well as one knee down and the other foot on the floor. He actually prefers the last one the most. He is very confident in pulling himself up and is now walking around the furniture!

It is amazing how quickly he is doing all of this.

Good luck to everybody and their little bubbies.
That's great that Jordan is crawling and pulling himself up, he's doing well. Sounds like it won't be long before he's walking.

Olivia seems to be getting a bit better at shuffling on her bum so I still think that's going to be her way of getting around. Otherwise she is spending more and more time on her tummy and her arms are getting stronger. She isn't really doing much with her legs yet while on her tummy. Hopefully soon she'll figure out what they are for!

Does anyone know when they learn to get into a lying position from sitting and sitting position from lying down?

Colby used to like tummy time but never did much moving! He was quite happy to lie there and watch. Then one day he just started rolling everywhere! He would roll instead of crawling until he was about 7 mths old. He then progressed to comando crawl and just in the last couple of weeks he has gone to "proper" crawl and cruising the furniture (and walls!) He will now walk beside us holding one hand and can stand on his own for a second...until he realises he's not holding on! I believe that swimming lessons have helped Colby's gross motor development.
Colby started to get into a lying position from sitting and sitting position from lying down when he was about 8 mths but all babies develop differently.
My point after all this blah, blah, blah!!!! is that some babies seem to be doing nothing much but once they start moving about they can develop pretty quickly and catch up to their peers.

Kym - Mum to Jada (27.09.01) & Colby (21.01.04)

Sign in to follow this topic