Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Nappies

Learn More
The Huggies Forum is closed for new replies and topics, you can still read older topics.
  1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Baby
  4. Baby's Growth & Development
  5. 4 month old wanting to stand

4 month old wanting to stand Lock Rss

Hey there! I have a 4 month old who is starting to try and stand up (whilst supported). I have been told that this could be bad for her as her bones are so soft she could get bowed legs. I don't know if this is true but i decided to get a jolly jumper so that bub could enjoy being upright and get exercise her legs safetly. This was working out really well until my mother in-law started holding her up on her feet and encouraging her to stand, even after i had tactfully explained why i had bought the jolly jumper.
Does anybody know if letting her stand at this age is really a problem or not? Could really use some help on this because as many of you know, dealing with any issue with the mother in law is always tricky (to say the least!!!)

taffy

My guide says that its good around 28 weeks for you to get your bub to gradually take thier own weight. I think as long as you do it in moderation, short periods through the day - then there is no need for concern. I think you can be guided by what your baby does, so if he is wanting to push up and hold his weight, then I think that is ok. Of course, its best to concentrate on the tummy time and pre-crawling activities as that is one of the most important developmental stage for any bub. I think a vareity is good, do what is comforatable with you - don't even feel like you have to compromise for your MIL. Sounds like your bub is doing really well, might have to keep an eye on him. Might want to get crawling and walking early so he can get upto no good in your cupboards and drawers - lol !!!

DD is 3yr 8 months - DS is 6 months

Hi there,

My 7 month old boy was exactly the same.. My husband kept getting him up on his feet at 3-4 months and encouraging it but I was very reluctant as I had heard also that if you start to young it can affect their hips and bow their legs... A similar thing with the jolly jumper... We didn't really discourage him too much and he started to crawl at 6mths in his commando position and is now crawling properly but still wanting to pull himself up on everything.. I am so glad he crawled before he walked but I think he will be walking in no time... Him standing at an early age doesnt seem to have affected him in anyway. We actually bought a play centre with a seat in the middle in which he could stand and bounce because I got so exhausted from him wanting to stand and bounce ALL the time and it was the best money I have ever spent. I just limit the time in which he is in it.... Hope this helps and best of luck ~!!!!

Kezz x

Kezz, Qld,Maddy 11, Jai 3 & Mia 7 weeks

Sign in to follow this topic