Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Nappies

Learn More

dummy vs thummy?? Lock Rss

argh! DH and i dissagree.

my son sucks this thumb... hes 5mths old. hes sucked it for 2months now.

i think it will be harder to stop him sucking thumb because you cant take his thumb away lol

but DH thinks a dummy will be draining because he will cry when he looses it... plus seem as hes already sucking his thumb he will probably just find his thumb if he looses his dummy anyway...

i guess ill have to just let him suck his thumb but im already super worried about how to make him stop doing it lol and hes only 5mths old!!

anyone got advice for a super suckey little thumb sucker? should i try to give him a dummy so that i can take it away when he is older?? or what?
There's another topic in the sleep section about dummies vs thumbs that can be found here

My son is a sucker for chewing on his fingers and everytime he does it i pull them out and say no and give him anything else he can chew! Guessing the same would work with thumb sucking! I also tell any1 else to take his fingers out of his mouth if they are holding him because they can pick up some nasty bugs from their hands!

argh! DH and i dissagree.

my son sucks this thumb... hes 5mths old. hes sucked it for 2months now.

i think it will be harder to stop him sucking thumb because you cant take his thumb away lol

but DH thinks a dummy will be draining because he will cry when he looses it... plus seem as hes already sucking his thumb he will probably just find his thumb if he looses his dummy anyway...

i guess ill have to just let him suck his thumb but im already super worried about how to make him stop doing it lol and hes only 5mths old!!

anyone got advice for a super suckey little thumb sucker? should i try to give him a dummy so that i can take it away when he is older?? or what?
I would go with the dummy. I know of children who did not have a dummy & ended up sucking their thumbs & shirts! I even taught a child who was still sucking the sleeve of his jumper in Primary school because he did not have a dummy. This sounds extreme and obviously would not be the case for all children but at the end of the day, a dummy can be taken away and a sleeve/thumb/shirt cannot.I took my child's dummy away at about 18 months. it took a few nights of him waking and wanting it, but he survived. i also think that it is really important to choose the time that you take the dummy away, eg don't do it while you are on holidays, its best to choose a time when you are calm and don't have too many other things on.
Dont stress too much.

My DD sucks her fingers and always refused a dummy. Recently we spent a couple of nights in hospital with her and both of her hands were taped with cannulas (needles) for fluids. She still refused the dummy and sucked on the tape.

His thumb is soothing him now, when he is old enough to learn not to suck his thumb worry about it then, he is only little smile
my siser sucked her thumb until she was 8 or 9.
so ive had both my kids with a dummy. just easier i think.

hmmm i dont think i have a choice now because if he looses the dummy he just finds his thumb lol. too clever for me!

plus i seem to keep picking his dummy up from where ever it ends up and its pretty yucky.

ill just have to deal with the thumb sucking when he gets older !! wish me luck hehe!
my younger sister sucked her thumb from the moment she was born! mum didn't stress about it but all she did when my younger sister was old enough to understand was tell her that as soon as her her first teeth fell out she won't be allowed to suck her thumb anymore!! i never thought this would work but anyway ever since the day her tooth fell out she never sucked her thumb!! my DD likes to suck on her fingers don't think she has found her thumb yet lol!! i've tried the dummy to but she is jus not interested lol so i guess her fingers have the right taste lol
This is a very mixed debate dummy v's thumb I worked in child care for 8 years and I have seen a lot of children whom have sucked their thumb and have seen the damage that they can do to their teeth and the shape of their mouth. personally I am currently using a dummy as it is something that you can take away as they get older however I have been told by the physio's to allow them to explore their thumb and fingers not suck them as such just explore them. You just need to weigh up the pros and cons and what you think is right.
Sign in to follow this topic