Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Nappies

Learn More
  1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Baby
  4. Baby's Growth & Development
  5. What age did you move your baby into a bed?

What age did you move your baby into a bed? Lock Rss

Hey smile

Well, my girl is nearly 18 months old, and we are looking for a place of our own (Loooong story)
and our girl is still in her cot, she is a very good girl, we are currently sharing a room with her (Part of the story), but she will be in her own room again when we move out,

Am wondering,
what age did your bubs move out of their cot into their own bed?
And what signs told you they were ready?

She still moves around a lot in it, sleeps straight through the night from 7pm-6.30am,
but my concern is that she (no matter how hard we try) never sleeps head to toe in her cot (IYKWIM)

Any tips on how to help her sleep head to toe are also very much welcome grin
Thanks heaps for reading and/or commenting smile

I moved DS into a bed at 18 months as I needed the cot for DD a couple of months later.
However in saying that if I were you I wouldn't be in any rush to move your DD into a bed. It will take her a while to get used to sleeping in her own room so best to get her used to that first. When I moved DS into his bed I put the bed in his room for about a month before he spent his first night in it. We started out reading stories and playing games on it then he had his day sleeps on it then finally he spent the night on it. We took the cot out of his room about a week later.
As for the moving around DS (nearly 3 now) still moves around a lot in bed although he is now in a queensize bed due to space in the spare room/study. The only thing I would suggest is a bed rail till she gets used to the bed.
Good luck with the move and the bed

img src="http://lbff.lilypie.com/jr5Hp8.png" width

I made the change when DS was 21 months, 2 months before DS2 was born. He never slept in the same spot either, so I got a king single bed and he has heaps of room, he still moves around but surprisingly not as much as he did in the cot!
Thank you both grin

kande, she has had her own room since 3 months, just recently started having to share a room as we were all kicked out by my father and a rellie took us in and has just been for a month so far, so I'm hoping she will be ok once we find a place,

Do king singles come in baby beds? Or is that just a normal bed?
Bed rails is a great idea too grin Thank you grin

Hoping not to move her out of her cot too soon, but we were at a friends and she has 2 girls (2 & 4) and Belle ran into their room and laid on their bed and pretended to go to sleep, so I'm hoping to get her one soon and take your suggestion kande and get her used to it first, thank you both grin

they only come in normal beds I think, and they look sooooo little in them!
I moved DD1 to bed at 24month. No hurry.
DD1 went into a toddler bed at 13 months due to climbing.

DD2 (11 1/2 months) will go into a single bed with a side rail at around the same age as she is currently in a baby hammock and I don't see the point in buying a cot for such a short amount of time.
I thought I'd share my experience with this with you. I put my ds in a toddler bed at 20 months as I needed the cot for my DD which was due in a couple of months time and I didn't want the expense of having to buy another cot. The toddler bed had been given to me. I wish now that I had of brought another cot and had not done this. My son is a wander, he can wake me anywhere from 1 to 4 times a night. No matter how much we try he just will not stay in his bed. He quite often ends up in our bed it's the only way we get any sleep. That's just been my experience with this.

Hey smile

Well, my girl is nearly 18 months old, and we are looking for a place of our own (Loooong story)
and our girl is still in her cot, she is a very good girl, we are currently sharing a room with her (Part of the story), but she will be in her own room again when we move out,

Am wondering,
what age did your bubs move out of their cot into their own bed?
And what signs told you they were ready?

She still moves around a lot in it, sleeps straight through the night from 7pm-6.30am,
but my concern is that she (no matter how hard we try) never sleeps head to toe in her cot (IYKWIM)

Any tips on how to help her sleep head to toe are also very much welcome grin
Thanks heaps for reading and/or commenting smile
I just put DD into a toddler bed as I need the cot for bub #2. I wanted to do the transition b4 xmas & well b4 the bub arrives...

SHe always moved around the cot, but I gave her a pillow 4 the week b4 the transition & this helped keep her in 1 position.

I put her in the toddler bed for 2 days for day sleeps only, then when I went to put her to bed (in cot) on the 2nd night she screamed & wanted to be put in the bed. So we let her sleep there.

The only problem we have had is she started getting up earlier in the morning (usually 7 7-30, went to 6am!) just because when she woke & saw it was morning she knew she could get up. She would be in a foul mood till she actualy woke up, so we just popped a gate on her bedroom door last night & she is still asleep at 730am. She got up at 630, opened her door, then went back to sleep.

We will wait till she is 3 before getting her a single bed. I only went 4 the toddler bed cause they look so tiny in a single bed & I got a great deal on a toddler bed!
I can't remember how old he was (about 20 months I think) but this might help.

We took the side off the cot first.

Then we went shopping and let him choose a full size bed.

Then (luckily we had room) we had both set up in his room and let him decide where to sleep.

At first he did day sleeps in the big bed and then he was mostly sleeping in it with the occasional morning we'd find him in the sideless cot.

Then we move house and the cot went to another room and he never noticed.
my daughter was 2.5year when we moved her into the bed.... lots of reason why,... we had just moved into our new house... we had been staying with my parents until we brought a house.....

wanted easy trasition...
Thank you all grin

Sign in to follow this topic