Nappies

Learn More
  1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Baby
  4. Baby's Growth & Development
  5. 18month old not talking at all ???

18month old not talking at all ??? Rss

Hi I was just wanting some advice from anyone that has been in my situation.
My Daughter is 18months old. She does not talk at all. She is very verbal and talks alot of baby jibber but she does not say any words, no Mumma dadda, bikkie, no, not a word.
I have been becoming quite concerned so I took her to my local community health clinic and the nurse has referred her to a speech path.
The only thing she says is Ta but she doesn't say the T its just "aarrhhh" and only when she wants to give us something NOT when we give her something???
I have been researching it so much probably too much and am thinking autism as she never stays still and has a extremely short attention span.
I'm just really concerned its really starting to upset me sad
any advice or sugg would be great.

Mumma of 3.

at 18mths i wouldn't be concerned about any of those things. lots of kids don't talk till much later, and prob most wouldn't know how to use 'Ta' correctly yet- but the way she does use it suggests she does understand it to some degree. Most 18mth olds don't have a very long attention span either grin.

I've known quite a few kids with autism (varying degrees) and although i'm no expert, i don't think it sounds like autism at all. The kids i knew didn't comunicate at all at that age.

But for sure, if you're worried about it go see a doctor.
My dd is nearly 18 months and doesn't say much either. She babbles away but only says Mum otherwise. I was told not to worry about it too much. Kids do things at different rates and otherwise she is right on the money developmentally.

It's so hard not to worry and not to compare your child to others, and I do. You are doing the right thing seeing a speach pathologist if you are concerned, that's the most you can do right now.

i would go get it checked if your worried and wont hurt and you might get some tips to help encourage her.
My ds at that age only really said mumy and a few other words dog n duck etc sometimes they wernt said properly. If she babling thats a good sign that shes trying to mouth words and experiment. Kids will talk in there own time. I would say if she understands things you say like, "wheres your hat" then she is grasping language good. My ds is 2 yrs and 2 month and only says about 6 words but understands me when i talk if you know what i mean. hope this has helped i would not worry too much on the talking at that age, look at the understanding she has when you talk and the trying to experiment talk such as the babling that shes doing.
Looks like your 18mo has older sibs. They probably do all the talking for her. It happens all the time. They don't need to talk so why bother? Just keep an eye on how articulate you are with her, make sure she can hear you properly and make sure everyone talks to her like a person not a baby. For example, Ta is not a word, teach her Thank You and pronounce it clearly. Set aside an hour a day to read to her- meal times work well if she is as active as you say she is. Make sure the older kids can let you focus on talking just to her during this time and not interrupt.

Please don't panic and think Autism. I know about Autism intimately. Autistic children have difficulty making emotional connections to other people, even if it is a very mild form of Asbergers. Autism is a very specific mental situation that people use nowadays to make sense of the way their children are acting rather than look for the real reason, 10 years ago it was ADD and ADHD.

Looks like your 18mo has older sibs. They probably do all the talking for her. It happens all the time. They don't need to talk so why bother? Just keep an eye on how articulate you are with her, make sure she can hear you properly and make sure everyone talks to her like a person not a baby. For example, Ta is not a word, teach her Thank You and pronounce it clearly. Set aside an hour a day to read to her- meal times work well if she is as active as you say she is. Make sure the older kids can let you focus on talking just to her during this time and not interrupt.

Please don't panic and think Autism. I know about Autism intimately. Autistic children have difficulty making emotional connections to other people, even if it is a very mild form of Asbergers. Autism is a very specific mental situation that people use nowadays to make sense of the way their children are acting rather than look for the real reason, 10 years ago it was ADD and ADHD.

So true mY SIL and BIL have 4 kids and the young is turning 3 soon and he still does not talk much because his older sisters know what he wants, so he just grunts at the caboard and gets buiscuits.
Hi,

I too have an 18 month old, he says probaby about 10 or so words but is picking up more every day.

You are doing the right thing in going to a speech path but I don't think you need to be overly worried yet (it's hard not to be though I know) My mum said my brother didn't talk much till 3. And about autism well most 18 months old have short attention span.

Just something to think about is she communicating in other ways (ie pointing) and following simple instructions (ie Bring me the book)

Try not to worry too much

Thanks everyone I appreciate the positive words. It is hard not to worry especially that she does have 2 older siblings and it doesn't help my 2 year old girl is extremely advanced she nearly speaks better than my 5 year old.
I did speak to the speech path thismorn she told me to simplify and repeat words. So we will try that.

Mumma of 3.

My DS1 sees a speechie as he was born with a cleft palate. His speech is fine and just being monitored. At 18mths he would say mumma, dadda, and Ta. not much else. He did have his own words for different objects that were pronounced incorrectly but were consistent e.g. dog was 'dor'. The speechie was also concerned about non-verbal things such as pointing, mimiking things that you do e.g cleaning teeth, washing hands etc. It wasn't until 2 that he started to speak very much at all. The speechie said that 2 yr olds should be able to string two words together with meaning and be understood only some of the time by other people than his parents. They might also you non-verbal forms of communication like gestures or guiding you and pointing. The one thing I noticed was that once he started talking he picked up new words everyday.
I'm just really hoping she starts to say some words soon. I have started a log in a calendar of any words I think she may be trying to say or sounds ect. So far we have her usual and only word Ta (pron aarrhh), also she has been imitating a dogs woof woof and trying to do a cats meow, but still no others really been concentrating on MUM, DADDY, UP & HELLO, no luck yet.

Mumma of 3.

They probably won't be concerned until she is 2. My daughter would only say Mumma & Dadda & that was only when she would choose to. The rest of her words consisted of grunts when she wanted something.
I did end up taking her to my gp when she turned 2 as i was really concerened & then a paediatrician diagnosed her as being speech delayed. now we do speech therapy & she is going really well, picking up lots of words.
If you are worried maybe you should take her to your gp & see what they think. It might put your mind at ease.
Hope she starts saying more words real soon smile

They probably won't be concerned until she is 2. My daughter would only say Mumma & Dadda & that was only when she would choose to. The rest of her words consisted of grunts when she wanted something.
I did end up taking her to my gp when she turned 2 as i was really concerened & then a paediatrician diagnosed her as being speech delayed. now we do speech therapy & she is going really well, picking up lots of words.
If you are worried maybe you should take her to your gp & see what they think. It might put your mind at ease.
Hope she starts saying more words real soon smile

Thanks for the message that makes me feel better about it. I think maybe that is what she has as she does say a few things. Now we are getting Dadda, Ta, Bella (our dogs name) and she imitates a dogs woof so, she can do it she just has no need to and yes she also grunts or sooks to get her way and things she wants. It's tough sometimes.

Mumma of 3.

Sign in to follow this topic