Learn More
  1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Baby
  4. Baby's Growth & Development
  5. Exhausted Mum with Super Active baby

Exhausted Mum with Super Active baby Rss

Hi

I need some support, my son is 6 months old and he has been super active since he was 3 weeks old when he woke up to the world. I feel like I am the only one of my coffee group friends who has a baby that wont sit still for long, especially when tired - go figure.
I get so exhausted and worried if he is in my arms he is constantly reachig out for something that is taking his interest he wriggles and wriggles and wriggles. He is also starting to really assert himself and indicate his frustrations I have even seen the odd little tanty - frustrated cry out - when I am unable to attend to him straight away.
I love his zest for life BUT I also miss the baby that I thought I would cuddle and happily play with. Don't get me wrong we do have fun times and I try to use up his energy and extend his curiousity but sometimes I just want to relax.
He started commando crawling at 5 months old abd given the chance I think he would leap out the window just to get closer to whatever he sees.
I get worried that he is ADHD and or that we'll just constantly have to be 2 steps ahead of him.

Anybody in the same boat?
He sounds like a perfectly normal, healthy baby. Babies are meant to be active - it doesn't mean they have ADHD.
I think if you're struggling you could ring up the Parent Helpline and find out about parenting courses in your area. I'm not saying you're a bad mum - your bub is thriving so obviously you're doing all the right things. It might just help you understand your baby and all the developmental stages he's going through a bit more.
BTW I was walking at 6 months, jumping out of my cot by 9 months (and onto my dad's stomach after he got home from his nightshifts), I never sat still - and I definitely don't have ADHD <span class="emoticon smile">smile</span>
Thank you I needed to be brought back to earth. I was having a stressful day and needed to reach out especially when I get comments from others (parents) about how wriggly he is and how busy he must keep me that I often feel like I am the only one amongst my group of friends with babies the same age experiencing this.

I am very proud of my son and I am constantly extending his learning and development and allowing him (when appropriate) to explore and foster his curiousity.

Thank you I needed to be brought back to earth. I was having a stressful day and needed to reach out especially when I get comments from others (parents) about how wriggly he is and how busy he must keep me that I often feel like I am the only one amongst my group of friends with babies the same age experiencing this.

I am very proud of my son and I am constantly extending his learning and development and allowing him (when appropriate) to explore and foster his curiousity.

I'm constantly getting comments about how "quiet" my bub is. He's very vocal at home but a bit reserved around people he doesn't know. He's very chilled out and hardly ever cries - he lets us know if he wants something - just doesn't carry on smile It's just his personality. But yes, people that don't know him give us that "I think there's something wrong with your baby" look blink
I am actually in the same boat and sorry to some of the other responses but if your child is like mine then no this is not 'normal' baby behaviour. Now this is not meant to worry you but rather give you something to think about if you need it down the track. My daughter was like yours, we called her the 5 second child because she was always on the go. Not just active but non stop from the moment her eyes opened until she finally fell asleep. I too also worried about ADHD and at 3 we had her assessed by an occupational therapist and she was diagnosed with a sensory processing disorder, and assessed as a sensory seeker. Basically an adrenaline junkie and was alsways seeking her next sensory hit.
I'd encourage you to google it and there will be lists of 'symptoms' that you'll recognise or not. It's managed by giving her loads of sensory input so kind of like if she needs to jump and bounce so give her a safe space to jump like our mini trampouline in the loungeroom. Alot of deep pressure input things like big squishy bear hugs. We ended up with (again not to worry you) with severe speech delays and major sleep problems becuase of her poor focus so therapy has been great for her.
I think mothers intuition usually has some truth so if you do think it's causing probs down thtrack I'd suggest getting an occupational assessment done. In the meantime try and introduce as much sensory input into his play, coupled with alot of deep hugs, squishing on beanbags, carrying(dragging) heavy stuff from one side of the room to the other. And blowing bubbles everyday. Great therapy. Good luck. i hope he calms in time. It is hard word having an 'over active' child.

I'd encourage you to google it and there will be lists of 'symptoms' that you'll recognise or not.

And I would encourage her to seek a professional opinion before googling stuff. Dr. google has a tendency to unnecessarily freak out people.
Her bub is only 6 months old and babies are sensory creatures.
Hi thank you all for your feedback.
Although it may not have seemed like it in the first message of mine I do know about child development (funny how all that knowledge goes out the window when it comes to my own child I'd admit) I have some knowledge abut sensory processing disorder (less about ADHD) Firstly I did google which I completely agree is not a good idea but hey we do it anyway.
I really think my son is a alert active boy I do wonder at times if he will have trouble focussing as he gets older (hence the ADHD comment) but if we support him well I think he will do just fine. Some days however just become a bit much as I just want to chill out with him.

I do think Mother instinct is important and I also believe it is good to get an assessment from a professional. The things you describe that you do with your daughter with SPD I do actually try to incorporate in our play, like a bit of firm hug type rough and tumble, we use the jolly jumper and swiss ball sometimes and I am looking to start Jumping Beans. I can be pretty tiring though, do you find that?

It really helps to hear from other people so thank you.
Sign in to follow this topic