Be comfortable in your skin – this is a judgement free zone. Find out more!

Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Nappies

Learn More
  1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Baby
  4. Baby's Growth & Development
  5. my four mth old hates tummy time!

my four mth old hates tummy time! Rss

My four month old hates tummy time she will only last on her tummy for about five minutes and that with winging included! I lay down there with her and play with her toys i lay down so low that she can see me!
Nothing is working!!!
i didnt have a problem with my DS he loved his tummy time and even slept on his stomach even though they dont recommend it but my DD hates it she is a back and side sleeper!
any suggestions would be great!
but she has awesome head control!
thanks!
My GP has said that he doesn't believe in tummy time and that the baby gets enough exercise in holding their head up when they are being held. I never really bothered with tummy time with my two girls and they have both had exceptionally strong necks.
Hi there smile

Have you tried laying your dd over your lap on her tummy?...My dd hated tummy time, but after doing that a few times she seemed to warm to the idea smile I have also seen a friend use a play mat that has a 'seat' in the middle that you lay bubs on and it spins/swivels...it kind of lkept her bubs a bit pre-occupied and off the ground whilst getting used to tummy.

My friend was also told by her gp that bubs gets enough from just being held...but then her chn had a go at her a few months down the track and said that it's not enough and made her do a HEAP of tummy time from then on (her dd was about 6 months then)... roll eyes It would be nice if they could all agree hey...haha...

Goodluck smile
it would be great if they could all agree!
DD does have great head and kneck strength.
but i will try to keep persisting with it anyway.
thanku all for you answers!
My son is 7mths old and is constantly on his tummy....now. Each time i changed his nappy i would give him 1-2 mins tummy time and he would be OK with it. Once he started to roll, he would end on his tummy and cry as he could not roll back over. At 6mths he learned to roll both ways and now he is happy with being on his tummy. Good luck.
Tummy time has always been a contraversial topic.

If its important to you, try a balloon (with a string on it) or my physio suggested a gym ball (moving it from side to side like a swing).

End of the day, all kids will eventually sit up, lie on their tummy they just do it at different ages.
My DD is 5 months old and she also is not a fan of tummy time but I find she is better with it if she is with other babies... So we do more of it when we are hanging out with friends. But in saying that, my DD can sit up by herself already so prefers to sit up instead now. She also doesn't roll over, she knows how and I have seen her but she chooses not to.

www.facebook.com/LeReveWithSally

why is tummy time important to you?

Personally, I don't agree with the theory that you have to provide various positions for a baby to develop. If they like it, no worries. If they don't - then its just stressful. Babies develop without routine tummy time. I have never done it for any length of time. Neither of them liked it so it was 30 seconds max.
STOP don't do tummy time, just let baby explore on the back she will roll onto her tummy when she is ready.

lie on your tummy with your arms at your side and lift your head, not much fun, any way they get tummy time and the so called neck strengthing while in your arms holding their heads up

My DD is 5 months old and she also is not a fan of tummy time but I find she is better with it if she is with other babies... So we do more of it when we are hanging out with friends. But in saying that, my DD can sit up by herself already so prefers to sit up instead now. She also doesn't roll over, she knows how and I have seen her but she chooses not to.

hi also just a not stop sitting your baby up its really important that she learns to do it by herself, she needs to learn to roll over and crawl before sitting its really important for tummy muscles to develop at their own pace, also if you are sitting her all the time you are actually limiting her abiltity to discover the world aroundd her and her body

why is tummy time important to you?

Personally, I don't agree with the theory that you have to provide various positions for a baby to develop. If they like it, no worries. If they don't - then its just stressful. Babies develop without routine tummy time. I have never done it for any length of time. Neither of them liked it so it was 30 seconds max.

i agree. my DD hated it, DS1 was ok with being on his tum for maybe a minute and my DS2 loves it, hell lay on his tummy for 10mins! and smile the whole time lol.

all bubs are different but with all of mine despite the varied amount of tummy time they have all developed so far at a similar pace. i carry/ied them facing out alot on my hip and play with them laying on my knees with me on my back, theyre looking down at me then and it works their back muscles (and my tummy muscles too!)

hi also just a not stop sitting your baby up its really important that she learns to do it by herself, she needs to learn to roll over and crawl before sitting its really important for tummy muscles to develop at their own pace, also if you are sitting her all the time you are actually limiting her abiltity to discover the world aroundd her and her body

huh well my kids must be stuffed then, i sat them all the time and they were quite happy, if they didnt want to sit up then they simply wouldnt..theyd roll over and play how they wanted to smile
definately! smile but those silly bumbo seats and crap are not a good idea nor is proping them up with pillows etc but if they can support themselves then i really dont see the issue myself, and my kids sat well before they crawled.

i think the general consensus is that yes stregthening bubs neack and back is imprtant but you dont have to lay them flat on their tummy to do it there are lots of other ways too smile
Sign in to follow this topic