Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Nappies

Learn More

too much sleep?? Lock Rss

hi everyone,
i was just wondering if there were such a thing as a baby having too much sleep. my little bub is 8 months old and her sleeping pattern is:

she goes to bed at 6pm and sleeps through until 6am, she then has her bottle, play time and cereal before shes tired again at 9. she then goes back to bed and will sleep until about midday. she gets up, has a play, has her veges and some play time then gets tired again at about 2-ish. so she'll go down with another bottle and sleep til 4pm. she usually wakes up when she hears her daddy's voice when he gets home from work. then she has a play with daddy, some fruit, playtime and a bath before she goes back to bed with her 4th bottle at anytime between 6 and 7pm.

i know i shouldnt complain that shes such a good sleeper but shes been like this for the last month or so. is she just a bub that needs a lot of sleep or could there be something wrong with her???

any advice or anything would be fantastic - am i just one of those mums that has to worry about the smallest things???

thanks guys

love amanda

Amanda, Emilee Grace 27/02/04, Kynen 11/02/05

Sound like a dream routine to me Amanda. Some babies need sleep more than others. She could be growing cause they do all their growing while asleep!

A sleep book I have says a 6 mth old has the following sleep requirements - 13-20 hours sleep a day including naps. For a 12 month old it is 10-13 hours overnight plus approximately 3 hours in naps.

As long as she doesn't seem ill in anyother way I don't think I would worry too much

Jo

Ryan (2) & Jayden (18mths)

Hi Amanda,
You lucky girl!
Every baby is different! My little man sleeps are varied.Sometimes he sleeps through and other nights he doesn't.
I wish my little man slept more when teething!
I wouldn't worry to much about her sleep!
Hi Amanda,

My boy is 5 1/2 months and sleeps quite a bit too.

8-10 hours overnight then 2-3 hours after his first feed. He then usually naps in between the next feeds as well.. But at the moment Luke is still wanting an extra bottle at 10pm before he has his long sleep.

Slowly I can see him staying awake a little longer each day. I'm not going to complain too much as he's happy and alert when he is awake and I know this won't stay this way too much longer.

I'm not an expert but as the post above says, if your little one isn't ill in any way this might just be her pattern. If your worried you could always speak with the Early Childhood centre but I don't think you need to worry.
This is my first time on here. It looks like your going to have your hands full soon, i think you should be happy with all the sleep she is having now. because when the new bub comes it will all change. Sit and relax and put your feet up while you can. It's true that when they sleep they are growing so is there brain, so don't worry. Leanne

Leanne,NSW,2 1/2yr & 6mth

Is she crawling or mobile in any way as she may be using more energy which is making her more sleepy. My 8 month old can have up to 3 naps a day ranging from 1-2 1/2 hours. Sometimes I feel guilty about putting him back to bed when he has only been up for an hour or so but when he goes to sleep then I know he needed it.

Karyn, NZ, Jack 13/02/04

Amanda

My almost 9 month old daughter is pretty much the same. Its great in some ways and a pain in other ways as I hate waking her if I need to go out and if I wait for her to wake, the days almost gone. My daughter goes to bed @ 7.30-8.00, she wakes from about 6.00-7.00 she has her cereal, milk bit of a play then bed by @ 9.00am in which some days she hasn't woken until 12.30. I give her lunch pretty much straight away, then a little milk, then play or duck out to the shops and then home by @ 2.00 -3.00 (depending on when she wakes after morning sleep) so that she can have another sleep, then could wake up @ 4.00 or 5.00 then the whole thing starts again. Out of all the babies in my group, Abby is the best sleeper and I did worry myself if she was having too much sleep, but I think cause I have her in such a good routine, that may help her sleep. Lets just enjoy it while we can. Its funny, cause with all the sleep she has, I still don't manage to keep the house tidy!!

Julie, mum to Abby 05/02/04 & Joel 12/04/07

Sign in to follow this topic