Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Nappies

Learn More
The Huggies Forum is closed for new replies and topics, you can still read older topics.

Sick Child Lock Rss

Wondering if anyone is in the same situation - 16m boy has had cough since birth (dr said immature larynx) and picked up colds all the time even thought BF till 9m. At 12m got cold, then croop then broncitis. The found out has nut allergies. He was already on soy products as he would get very wheezy and vomit with dairy, didn't think this was very serious as youghurt and cheese seemed to be ok. Since 12m he has not been without a cough, runny nose, wheeze etc just as it seems to be getting better it flares up again. Now paed has does testing and says he dairy allergy is so severe he will go into anaphalitc (? spell) shock if any gets to his stomach. I am at my wits end - continual bad nights, comments from strangers in the street and dr's keep saying there is nothing they can do until he is 2 when they can diagnose asthma. He is on ventolin already but very low dose that dosen't seem to do anything. I am at the dr's every week and every time something diff seems to be wrong. Yesterday I was told he a glue ear after repeated infections and has picked up coldsore virus (causing the current fevers and irritableness). I have spent over $500 this month on medication, paed and vaporiser and now have been told he will nedd grommets. I am not questioning the dr's but need to know I am not the only one dealing with this. I give him a very healthy diet, keep him warm, lots of love and attention. He only goes to daycare one day per week and this seems to much. I am getting more stressed as baby #2 is due in Jan 06. Thanks for listening/reading

Rach - Boy 03.02.04 & Girl 10.01.06

Rach

I cant say I am in the same boat as you but big hugs for you, you sound like you are doing a great job!!!

Steph

Steph VIC Mummy to one gorgeous boy

Hi Rach,
My heart goes out to you as I have a close friend who has 2 children that are extremely alergic to a variety of things. What one can eat, the other can't, so she has a very large pantry! She has to be very careful to what they eat as they can stop breathing from swelling within 30 minutes if they are alergic to it.
The good news is (if you can get any out of that!) she has got them under control now, keeps medication for the 'just in case' circumstances and neither of them have had to be to the docs for over a year. It takes time, but with perseverence you will get through it. See if you can get allergy tests done on him - they do this on their arm with little pin pricks. My friend said that this was the best thing for her to find the right food to help them. they are now 5 and 3 years old and she has just had her 3rd child 2 weeks ago.
Good luck sweetie, and if you are not happy with the docs answers, keep asking or go for a 2nd opinion until you are satisfied with the answer.

DD1 July 2004 DD2 August 2007 DS September 2009

Thanks for the replies - the last 2 nights have been a lot better and he seems quite well again - hopefully it will last a bit longer this time. We have already had the skin prick test done to confirm the allergies and dr hopes they will be gone by 5-6. Even through it all we still love being parents and one smile in the middle of the night makes it all worthwile but it is good to have somewhere just to post how you are feeling and get it all of your chest. Thank you

I completely understand.

We've had five visits to doctor in one week between myself and the two boys. that has to be a record of some sort. I'm sure the receptionist thinks I'm a hypochondriac.

My oldest suffered from a run of ear infections in his first year, now he is 2 1/2 and has recurring bouts of tonsilitis. I have just learnt that they are related to the same problem. His nose/sinus. He's off to see ENT next month.

My youngest (7months) has been coughing, runny nose for two months. I am worried about asthma, but have had little response from doctors.
My mum suggested dairy intolerance as my brother had to have severly restricted milk intake, and this was related to his asthma.

I hope that you find your answers, as I hope I find mine. All the best with #2.

Sarah, Mum of 2 boys

hi rach im in the same boat as you i have two year oldl little boy with very low immune system and poor swolling and a cronic chest dease ,poor development . i feel of you because i still have troubble with getting the doctor to deal with him they keeep saying that he will get better withage but he is getting worse i you would like to talk my email addy is [email protected] and my number is 0412532546
Just an update - Jacob has another ear infection and this time the Dr is referring for grommets when it has cleared up. He has been completely dairy free for about 3 months now and his cough/wheeze has cleared up quite a bit yeah!!!
I am getting good enough nights and every few sleeping through till about 4.30 when i think it is just the cold waking him and settles quickly again once tucked in until about 6. I am feeling more positive but can not wait till summer when supposedly it will be a lot better (until next winter).

Sign in to follow this topic