Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Nappies

Learn More

Army Crawling Rss

Hi Everyone,
Jackson is now 10 and a half months now and is still army crawling. Should I be worried? Is there anything I can do to help him crawl on his knees?

michelle, mum of jackson 13-02-03

Hi Mishka - my daughter is 9 months old and is also army crawling. I am not overly concerned for although her older brother was crawling on hands and knees by now I figure she will either eventually do this or simply progress to standing and walking when she is ready. A friend of mine has a daughter who is the same age as mine and her daughter 'crawls' on her hands and feet - each baby is different and as long as they are happy and can get to where they want to go, the method doesnt seem to bother them.

Cathy with Ryan 3yrs and Nicola 10mths

My 7mth old is commando crawling everywhere and loves it, apart from the carpet burn. I had some of my kids at kindy who were still commandoing at twelve months, thirteen months etc, and in their own time the walked or got up on their knees. I wouldn't worry too much unless your bubba is getting frustrated with it.

Cheers
BEC

Bec NSW 7mth Baby

Hi Michelle,
My 8 month old son was army crawling until just recently, when all of a sudden he just got up on all fours. If he is in a hurry to get somewhere, he will army crawl, because it is quicker to get where he is going. I also found that he doesn't like getting up on his hands and knees, as it is too hard on them. (We have all lino, thoughout the house, except the bedrooms). My daughter didn't crawl until she was almost 11 months old. Don't worry, he will get up when he is ready. You might find, he won't crawl properly at all, and that he will just get up and walk. Take care,
Tracey

Mother of 3, Qld

Hi Mishka,
My daught has been crawling on hands and knees from just before 4 months of age, but a friend of mine has a son who didn't crawl at all, he stood and walked at 18 months. A bit late, but he is now 3 and everything is normal with him. Babies develop at different times, I'm sure Jackson is going to do just fine. Give him time, he'll learn. Good luck to both of you.

mother to Hannah born August 9 2003

Don't you just love the wounded soldier look? It's soooo cute. My 9 and a half month old - Sebastian, has just started getting up on his knees in the past week. However if he needs to get somewhere quickly or with toys in hand, he will revert back to the commando crawl. I'm sure when your little man is ready he will get up on his knees, or he may go straight to walking. They are all little individuals with their own scheme of things, so I say just go with it.
Nicole

Nicole, Queensland, almost 3 yo boy - Sebastian

Mishka
Don't worry my daughter was 12.5months before she stopped army crawling and now she crawls on her knees at 14.5 months but won't walk
Thanks for all your replies. The last 2 days Ive seen him crawling on his knees a few times. Very cute but now his knees are all red. I was a bit worried as he was only useing one leg, I thought maybe the other leg wouldnt develop as well. But thanks for the reassurance!

michelle, mum of jackson 13-02-03

I am glad to hear of so many other 'army crawlers'. My 11 1/2 month old has been army crawling since 8 months. She occasionally and recently for very short distances is up on her hands and knees, but not very often. I have been slightly concerned as people have been commenting for months "she will be crawling any day now, just watch!" yet she still appears to be content with the army crawl. It is a relief to hear that it is fairly common and not just my daughter who is not developing properly.

Linda (Jessica 3/4/03, Caleb 11/4/05)

Linda,

I was soooo relieved to read your email, because my little 11month year old boy does exactly the same thing and shows very little interest in getting up on hands on knees (except occassionally when he rocks back and forth). I too get tired of people saying, "Oh how's the crawling going' and 'Oh not too long now before he crawls". Hang in there ad remember it's not that they're not developing normally, its just that there going at their own pace. I'm a teacher so I see this at all age levels!!!!

Regards

HF, NT, 10mth baby

Hi Michelle,
Our eldest did the standard baby stuff:- sitting at 6 months, crawling properly at 8 months, walking around the furniture at 9 months but didn't walk till 10 days before she hit 15 months, go figure? But our son has just turned 10 months and has been doing the army crawl thing for 1 1/2 months and totally skipped the whole sitting up part and is only starting to pull himself up onto his knees in the cot, so I just think they are all unique in their own special way and will do things at different times, if they did everything the same as everyone else it would get a bit predicable and a little boring. Enjoy the crawling stage, its painful when they walk!
Belinda

BelindaQld, 4 children (1 in heaven)

I was excited to see this thread too! My dd has her own version of the army crawl - she only uses her right arm and then when she stops, she gets up on all fours! She's a funny little thing LOL. She's 9 months and has been doing this crawl for about a month or so. I don't think she'll crawl on all fours, she seems happy to get around in this army fashion. So long as it gets her to the remote, the shoes, the fire wood... she doesn't mind!!!
Sign in to follow this topic