Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Nappies

Learn More

Average age for crawling? Lock Rss

Hi all

My daughter is almost 5 and a half months now and is showing no signs of starting to crawl. She also hates being put on her stomach so I dont do this often. She is very strong, her legs in particular and loves to walk around in her walker but when it comes to crawling she seems to have no interest. Is this normal for her age? If not, what could I do to encourage her to try to crawl?
Hi,
My daughter's now 7 and a half months old and not crawling yet. Different children do things at different times. I don't think there's a set age for when things are to be done. Maneesha has been trying to crawl for about a month but she still hasn't done it properly. I don't think there's anything for you to worry about though....

DD1 7/11/04, DD2 27/5/08

I don't think there is anything to worry about, I think around 8 months is average. My boy started early. I think you should try encourage more tummy time though. When Liam was younger he hated his tummy time, and protested as soon as I put him down, so I just didn't do it, then the plunket nurse told me to let him cry a bit as he needs to get used to his tummy as it develops important skills and muscles before crawling. He got more used to his tummy the more I put him on it and taught him that its easier to play with toys on your tummy. If you want to encourage her to crawl, don't put her in the walker, I had a friend who put her son in a walker and he had no interest in crawling at 13 months old! She had to get rid of the walker so he learnt to move by himself.

Liams Mum,NZ,14mth boy

All babies do things at different ages!! My bub crawled at 6 months, and I know some that arent crawling at 12 months... I myself missed out on crawling altogether and went straight to walking at 15 months!!! I must have been a great baby - just plonk me down and I'd just sit there!!!! Your daughter will crawl, or walk when she is ready.

Suz, NSW

Sign in to follow this topic