Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Nappies

Learn More

Squealing! Rss

My best friend's bub is also 5 mths but has developed a very embarrassing habit. He squeals- anytime,anywhere, and it is for fun. He is happy when he does it and gets louder and louder. It is very ear piercing- he sounds like a little piglet and she is finding it very hard to take him anywhere! We know he is just experimenting with his voice but is there anything she can do to discourage this antisocial behaviour! She has tried a dummy but he still manages to squeal!
My son is also a squeeler. He squeeled at around four months and stopped, and has now started up again at seven months. I think the best thing is to let him grow out of it. Most people think it is cute and it is certainly better than having him cry all the way around the supermarket.

danielle

Danielle, 28, Vic, 1st son born 2/6/03

Hi Belinda,
Tell your friend just to let him go. The more you try to deter him from squealing, the more delight he will have in doing it. I found with my son, that if I let him go and ignored him when he squealed, his squealling had no affect on anyone, and he soon stopped. It won't last forever, so don't worry!!
Tracey

Mother of 3, Qld

My son is also a squealer, but i think that it's cute and when he does it i know he is happy. I don't think it's antisocial at all, it's just a child finding his voice. If anyone has a problem with it then tell them "too bad". Tell your friend to just enjoy her bub, it doesn't matter what other people think.

Nicky, SA

my daughter is 19 months and she never did it until we went to kindygym i've been trying to disourage it as i do not like a child who screams but the more i say no the more she does it the only way to stop her is to smack her and then she cries instead but she stops it after that for a while.

help me find a solution...LOL

Narelle, Eilish 5th june 2002 TTC since dec 2002

Hey Tracey,

Thanks for the advice. My friend tried ignoring him and lo and behold it worked. Simple solution but sometimes you seem to overlook the obvious and basic answer thinking it must be more than it really is!!
Sign in to follow this topic