Nappies

Learn More
  1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Baby
  4. Baby's Growth & Development
  5. WHEN DO BABIES START TO TEETHE ?

WHEN DO BABIES START TO TEETHE ? Rss

Hi my baby girl is 14 weeks old and I think she may be starting to teethe...She has been dribbling so much more this past week and the past couple of days , stuffing her hands in her mouth and really irritable....She is also being really fussy with her feeding....Could it be possible she is teething ALREADY ??????? She also had a bit of a red cheek this morning, I checked her temp and it was fine !

Lisa SA mum to beautiful haley born 27/9/03

Hi Lisa, It is really hard to tell with teething. My little man is 6 months and he has had all these symptoms but still no teeth. From what I understand their teeth can go up and down for quite awhile sometimes before finally cutting through. A sign of teething is swollen gums and you can usually see white spots on the gums. Kiefer had red cheeks constantly for a few months around the 3 month mark and then they stopped. Sometimes red cheeks can be a sign that they are hot from the weather too. My partners mother said her first child teethed early - around the 2-3 month mark so it is possible. Generally though it is said that babies teeth around after the 5-6 month mark - but then who knows as all babies are differant.

Deena NZ New mum

Hi Lisa,
Most babies start to teeth around 6 months, but some can start earlier. My daughter had her first tooth at 6 months and now nearly 13 months of age is cutting her 3rd molar so she will then have 11 teeth.
The dribbling is caused by the saliva glands starting to work and babies don't know how to shallow it down until 6-8 months of age.
The heat can be making her cheeks red or that can also be caused from all the dribble.
Babies all are so different and it's so hard to tell what is happening sometimes, pity they can't tell us what is going on!!

Louise, Brisbane Qld. Mum to Ella and Luca

Hi Lisa!
My daughter is nearlt 15 weeks and has been showing signs of teething for the last few weeks now! I know it's teething as the only thing that would settle her was rubbing her gums with my finger! My son also stared teething at the same age and cut his first 2 teeth just after he turned 5 months! Her teeth could be starting to move up causing these symptoms! I bought some teething liquid from the chemist and it is made up of all natural ingredients and it works a treat! Let me know how you go!

Mum(29) - DS 7yr, DD 4yr & DD 2yr

Hi to all,
It definitly sounds like teething. I have 3 kids, and they all started teething around 3 months. My first son, didn't get his first tooth until he was 7.5 months old, my daughter got her first tooth at 3.5 months, and my baby boy, (now 8.5 months) got his first at 7 months and is currently cutting his 2nd.
I also have a friend whose baby cut her first tooth at 4 days old. She is now 4 months old and has 6 teeth.
Just give panadol, and rub teething gel on the gums. Also try giving her a washer wet with boiled water, and put in the freezer for about 10 minutes, and teething rings that go in the fridge/freezer work wonders too. Good luck.
Tracey

Mother of 3, Qld

Hi, I've heard babies can start teething at almost any age and it can go on and on without spotting a tooth for ages. Those little teeth move up and down in the jaw causing discomfort. When they actually break through the gum line, that is what hurts the most. You can try massaging babies gums with a clean finger, or with a cooled teething ring.

Goodluck, teething can be a long and some what painful process for all involved...
Hi
My baby boy is now 4 months old but was showing signs of teething at around 10 weeks yet nothing has come through yet. I find the best way to calm him is to give him a cold cloth to suck on. The biggest problem i found was most teething gels and rusks cannot be given to them until they are 6 months so for now the cloth has to suffice.

Nicky, SA

My daughter turned 5 months yesterday, and her fist tooth has appeared, with 2 more just under the gum. i can feel the other 2, one can almost be seen so it's close. She'll probably have 3 teeth by 6 or 7 months. I don't think there is a text book answer for babies' development

mother to Hannah born August 9 2003

Hi, it definately sounds like teething but it doesn't mean that there will be any teeth soon!! These symptoms can go on for months I'm afraid! My son (who is now 5) cracked his first tooth at 4.5 months, second at 5mth and next two at 6mths!! My daughter (6mths old) has been showing signs of teething since she was about 15weeks and still is a drooling gummy shark! I love that gummy smile.
I have been using a small amount of bonjela on her gums and cold flannels to suck on seem to help soothe too. You could also try a teething ring which you put in the fridge.
Good luck, hope the teeth come soon.

Mel, WA ,6mth baby

Hi. I don't know much about this topic yet as my son is only 9 weeks old, but a friend of mine suggested using the tube ice blocks for babies to suck/chew on when they are teething. I think they are called Zooper Doopers. When I was at school they were called Funny Faces. I'm not sure if this would work, but could be worth a try.

SA, 2 boys

Hi,I used to think my baby was teething for the same reasons from about 6 weeks on but his first tooth didn't come through until he was 7 months, apparently their teeth move around a lot before they actually come through. Don't forget too if your babies pulling at it's ears it could be an ear infection which is common in babies
My daughter is 3 months and started displaying all of these symptoms over the past day or so. Irritable, clingy, off her milk - the only thing that isn't mentioned is sleeping patterns. She seems to be sleeping more, not less! I'm going to try a cool washer for her to suck on.

Thanks for the advice!
Sign in to follow this topic