Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Nappies

Learn More
The Huggies Forum is closed for new replies and topics, you can still read older topics.
  1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Baby
  4. Baby's Growth & Development
  5. my daughter hates the toothbrush!

my daughter hates the toothbrush! Lock Rss

hi,
thats not strictly true, my daughter hates the toothbrush on her teeth. she likes to chew, suck, brush mummy's teeth... anything else but actual brushing!
we started out great and she would open her mouth to let me get a quick brush in before i let her have a go. we'd sing the toothbrush song (ch ch ch ch, i brush my teeth) and she loved it, but now the novelty's worn off its a complete struggle.
i'm worried its going to become something she fears if i keep pushing it when she doesn't want it but i'm also aware of the number of pre-school kids having to have teeth extracted due to cavities.
i've also tried with a flannel to no avail.
any ideas mums? any help will be gratefully accepted!
mel

mel, ella jasmine 13/06/04 & benjamin tyler 6/8/06

I'm also having trouble with both twins. I have some success when I put Hi-5/Wiggles on and give them something new to hold in their hands to distract them. Then when I say "aaah" they open their mouths - with eyes glued to the tv. Yes, unfortunately, it looks like twins take after mummy - TV addicts.

Twins' Mum, VIC, E & A born 4/04

Hi there!,
we had the same problem with Liam, and just stopped brushing his teeth for two days, and then he was back in action,

absence makes the heart grow fonder...smile
Rob and I actually stand there and either sing brusha brusha brusha, but mainly squeal ahhhhh with Liam he joins along, and we brush his teeth that way,

works most of the time,

Cheers
Heléna

Liam Evan, 2

Hi Mel,
Have you tried an electric toothbrush? Lochie was given one for his first birthday and loved me giving him a "tickle". They work well and clean more effectively in a shorter amount of time. He will now use a normal toothbrush too. It is just a matter of perservering and not pushing the issue too much.
Good luck,
Naomi

My babies are all grown up sad

Hi Mel,

I give my daughter (11 months old) her toothbrush to play with whist she is in the bath she thinks its a great toy (because it has a pic of duck on it) but has also learnt to brush her own teeth im thinking she got use to the bristles whilst chewing on the brush

goodluck

michelle
i am having the same problem!!! im glad im not the only one. i am now, just letting him hold it and do it him self then inbetween i will just grab it and go in for the kill then let him have another play brush with it. He seems to be fine before and after, except when i do it he has a cry and hates it. But hey, its gotta get done.

mumsgroup.tk -Kayden 31.1.05 & Tianah 25.8.06

Sign in to follow this topic