Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Nappies

Learn More

Walking... How old? Lock Rss

Hi everyone!

just wondering at what age peoples babies stared walking?

my son is 10 months old, and pulls himself up on furniture, and is begining to take a few steps sideways whilst holding on to say, the coffee table.

however, whenever you hold on his hands and try to get him to walk along, he drops to the ground, or bends his legs. we bought him one of the those walker type toys that they can hold on to and walk along behind, but he just doesn't seem interested.

i'm not particularly concerned, but just thought it would be interesting to see how early, or late other babies tended to walk? or pull themselves up?

'~ Jordan ~ Sept 04 ~'

Hi

my kids were all different ages when they walked

# 1 was 18mths

# 2 was 14mths

# 3 was 13/14mths

# 5 was 9.5mths

jo, kids, 13, 11, 8 & 2yrs

Hi,

My son was 9 months when he started walking by himself. My daughter was 10 months old and and hoping my baby daughter holds off a little longer as even though it's great to see them walk...afterwards you wish they held off a little longer!

Mum(29) - DS 7yr, DD 4yr & DD 2yr

Hi Kirsty, my boy started walking at 10 months and i too wished he'd hold off a little longer... where has my baby gone?? But he was just like your little one as if you tried to help him he'd just drop to his knees. He wasn't interested in his walker/trolley thing either. He would just walk when he wanted to! He pulled himself up to standing from sitting before he even crawled at 5 and a half months. and now he is away!!

Liams Mum,NZ,14mth boy

Kirsty,
my first sat at 6 months, crawled at 8 months,walked around furniture at 9 months, used a stand up walker at 12 months but didn't walk by herself till 10 days off 15 months, second didn't sit till 9 months, crawled (army style) at 10 months, walked around furniture the same time, but this time didn't use the walker and he walked 9 days off 15 months, our 3rd is crawling nt 8 months so the rest we'll have to see, they all d it eventually I just hate it when everyone pressures you by asking all the time "Are they walking yet?" who cares, they will do it when they are ready so ignore everyone, your child is NORMAL!
Bel

BelindaQld, 4 children (1 in heaven)

Louis rolled for such a long time I thought he would never crawl! Then all of a sudden it was like he decided to give it a go at 6 months and off he went!

He actually pulled himself up in his cot at 5 months so you see there's no real order for them to do things in!

He's now 9 months old and has been holding our fingers and walking around since he was about 7 months, he also loved using his pushabout walker.

This week he has suddenly decided to walk by himself, and has been taking 4 or 5 steps at a time. We have definitely been encouraging this, but reading these other posts I'm worried now! lol

I just find it amazing how they suddenly just start doing something, it's like a light goes on in their head and they give it a go!

Louis' Mum, Wgtn, where did that year go!?!

Hey Kirsty,

Hun my daughter walked at 10months but was able to use furniture and walk around them at 7 or 8months.

Ur son is doing well and I dont think it will be much longer! Bubs on average walk at 12months like my niece but my nephew didnt walk till he was 18months!

Just need a lot of practice and encouragement and bubs will walk when he is ready! This is of course when his bones are strong enough!

All the best and good luck!

Phoenix
Hi

Aren't they all different.

My 1st son walked the week before his 1st birthday. Very steady, no wobbles or falls.

My 2nd son walked at 10 months (he's now 11 months). Propels himself as fast as he can and hopes that momentum will keep him upright. What a difference a couple of months makes to their awareness.

Sarah, Mum of 2 boys

Sign in to follow this topic