Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Nappies

Learn More

tempertures Rss

Hi everyone,

My baby has been suffering temps, this is the 3rd day of them, the highest being 39.2 degress. This is causing me great worry and him great dicomfort, he is VERY clingy and upset not knowing what to do with himself, and keeps looking at me like "why aren't you fixing me mummy". He is 7 months old and I always thought that it was pretty serious to have a temp this high, I have taken him to the the docs but he says its just a virus and to give him panadol and nurfron which I am doing but as soon as the 4 hours are up, so is his temp again, I don't know what else to do. If anyone can give me ANY advise or info it would be SO appreciated.
Thanks,
Sulee

sulee,nsw,babyb'day15/8/2003

Hi mumtobailey

I have 2 children - Madison is now 3 1/2 yrs and Ashton is 10 weeks.

If there is one thing that worries me is when the temp goes up.

Madison was so hot once (39.6) that I put her into a cool bath and just kept pouring the water on her. Be careful not to make it straight cold water as this causes 'goose bumps' and the body tries to warm up again. She was screaming but I had to persist.

I was also giving Panadol a little earlier than the 4 hour intervals.

After 3 days though, I would seriously consider going back to the doctor or seeing a different one.

Good luck

Jodie, Qld. Madison (09/09/00), Ashton (22/01/04)

I would reccomend going and getting a second opinion. I've had to do this myself when doctors haven't taken my worries seriously. Other than that, try to keep up the fluids rather than solids as this allows the body to 'eat' the illness. Keep your full bath with tepid water and a flannel handy and bathe bubs whenever uncomfortable.

Good luck.
Hi Baileys mum.....just a thought - if you are giving nurofen and panadol have you tried staggering the times you give them, so say give the panadol at 12 and the nurofen at 2 that way your dosing overlaps and might help keep bubs a bit happier. Hope he's better soon.

Take Care

Emma & Jayden, WA

HI GUYS,
Thankyou so much for the replies, its good to have a little support thats what I love about this web site.
Bailey is still spiking temps all day although the nurofen is helping alot more than just the panadol, and I have been doing as mrspappy said(also what the doc recommended) in alternating them together, thankyou
I have also rang the hospital and they gave the same advise, but I have decided if he is the same tomorrow its back to the docs, it will be day 4 and its really scaring me know, he is still so little and totally relaying on me, it makes me so upset to see him distressed, and its very draining for both of us, as he only wants mummy. I wish I could fox it for him......... hes my life
Thanks again and keep the ideas coming and I will let you now how I go
Sulee

Hi,

Corey also has had temperatures of 39 +.
After the second/third day of high temperatures.
I would take him back to the doctor or go to another doctor.

Michelle, mum to Corey 14/3/03 - Bankstown

Hiya,

Thinking of you and hoping things are getting better! Please go back to the Dr soon if things aren't getting better,

Tepe

DD5, DS3, DS lost to SIDS at 6mths & DD6m

Hi there..
In Jan our 6month old daughter woke up at night screaming with a very high temp..as this was her first temp and she began shaking we immediately took her to emergency at the hospital..they were fantastic and saw her straight away..they took all these tests and found that she has developed a urinary tract infection..gave her anitbotics straight away and now we're waiting to get further tests down later this month..Since then she's had another 24hours of high temp - no screaming - just flat mood..we gave her panadol and that didn't help so once again at midnight she woke up with 39.1 and we took her to hospital again..they did the urine test again and found slight trace..we stuck to panadol and within 24hours it was gone..
I would certainly get 2nd opinion as it's not recommended they have panadol or similar more than 24-48hours..
keep me posted..
cheers

Christina, SA

HI ALL,
Thanks for all your relies, it means so much too me, thankyou.
Bailey has turned a corner, he seems 100% better than he did although still not 'himself'.
The temps fianally settled down on fri but he came out with this weird blotchy rash on his head and face, so back to the docs again. Apparently its part of this virus, seems to have cleared up again today.
It is really scarey how much faith we put in our docotors, it didn't really seem to matter too much when it was just me but know I worry all the time about Bailey being OK and about trusting the docs.I cry EVERY time I hear about a child being hurt killed or sick. I don't know what I would do without Bailey he is my life, my reason for living.
I hope I am doing the right thing, he seems better but if he falls down again I will take him striaght back again and demand tests to be done.
TAKE CARE,
LOVE SSULEE AND BAILEY BOY

Hi Sulee,

Thats great news that Bailey is getting better, i really hope he is 100% soon!

What you said about our faith in Drs and ill children is so true!

Take care,

Tepe

DD5, DS3, DS lost to SIDS at 6mths & DD6m

Sign in to follow this topic