Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Nappies

Learn More
  1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Baby
  4. Baby's Health
  5. How much iron should a 7mth old have?

How much iron should a 7mth old have? Rss

Hi,

Does anyone know how much iron a 7mth old baby should have per day? I feed my son a morning bottle, rice cereal + fruit for morning tea, weetbix and yoghurt for lunch, another bottle mid afternoon, the vegies (pumpkin, corn, potato, broccoli) and beef for dinner, plus he may or may not have a bottle before bed. Is there enough iron in all the foods I am offering him?

Thanks,
Sam

Mum to toddler

The reccomended amoutn of iron for babies over 6 months is 9mg. I spoke to my community health nurse about my own concerns recently. She said not to stress too much. I know that formula has a higher iron content but she still stressed that breast is best. I am still breastfeeding my 8 noth old. He doesn't eat very well, still to keen on the boob! From the sounds of thing your bub would be doing just fine. Weet bix are fairly good for iron, as is pumpkin and brocoli. Try mixing some lentils, chickpeas or split peas in with your son's vegies and I often add some really good steak that I have whizzed up (just a little piece like a medallion).

There is a book called ' Allan Borushek's Pocket Calorie and Fat Counter' in the back pages it has a list of foods and thier iron contents. You can get it from most news agencies.

Hope this helps.
Hi Sam

Like Tanith, I recently asked my child health nurse about iron. My 9 month old son eats pretty much the same as yours - he has vegies at lunch and dinner. I'm still breastfeeding him 5-7 times daily as well. I don't know how much iron they need exactly, but the nurse told me as long as he has rice cereal (as it has added iron) and a little bit of meat everyday he should be fine. Keep giving broccoli when you feed him beef as it helps the body to absorb the iron from the meat. If you have any concerns talk to your nurse - it sounds as though you're doing great.
Hope this helps.

Jasmine
Thank you so much for your reply, that's a great help. I will do as you suggested.

Sam

Mum to toddler

Sign in to follow this topic