Be comfortable in your skin – this is a judgement free zone. Find out more!

Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Nappies

Learn More

bathing baby Rss

At home I use the 'giant bath mate, for sensitive skin' everyday with my son and when we go away I use 'Nutrimetics baby soap free body wash' I think its important though up until 6 months to bath them in a wash thats gentle on their skin.
I have only ever used products that are free from Sodium Laurel Sulfates etc (see above). My baby is now 9 months old and has never had nappy rash or a red bottom. I always put a drop of almond oil in the bath as well, this keeps her skin nice and soft. J&J also contains mineral oils, which aren't so good for us.

Mummy of 2 little angels. 6/6/03 & 3/8/05 & No 3

Now i am confused! :~

I have been using the bedtime bath by JJ, but that has bubbles and the Sodium Laureth Sulfate!

Have i been doing the wrong thing??? I just assumed it would be Ok as it is JJ and for babies!!

Tepe

DD5, DS3, DS lost to SIDS at 6mths & DD6m

Tepe I'm with you. I've been using the purple and yellow (Tip to Toe) J&J baby bath products for my baby daughter and toddler son, and both contain Sodium Laureth Sulfate.

Do we need further information on this ? I must say that I've never had a problem with them ?

Therese

Therese, BRISBANE, 3yr old boy 6 wk girl

I mostly bathed my son with the nutrimetics baby soap free body wash and wash his hair with the nutrimetics baby gentle shampoo, occasionally I use the J&J bedtime bath, milk bath or moisturising baby bath. Luke rarely gets nappy rash and never got cradle cap, he also never really gets dry skin. I got the nutrimetics as a gift when luke was born and almost ten months later I still haven't run out and I use them almost every day.

Danielle

Danielle, 28, Vic, 1st son born 2/6/03

Can I just add this...

I bathed my daughter now 16 month with Johnson and Johnson baby bath wash from the time she was born to 12 months old.

I have to say some people get awfully carried away with products. If they are specifically for babies then chances are they would be safe to use.

Unless your baby has a skin condition needing a certain treatment then you have nothing to worry about.

When you have a young baby you do not need a lot of baby wash anyway, it will dry the skin out, there shouldn't be any bubbles from these products unless you are using too much.

Stick with brands for babies and you should be fine.

Michelle
Thanks Michelle, now i don't feel guilty or nieve! I believe you are right!

Hi,
We were told at the birth of both of my children that bubble bath wasn't needed. You need to be really carefull with kids that have eczema as well as bubble baths can dry their skin out. an alternative is to use sorbolene cream but it needs to be 100% sobolene most of them has glycerine in them which dries the skin out. the chemist usually has it behing the counter so you just have to ask.

Cristie, SA, boy 18/04/01, girl 22/05/03

I found the best product which tackles each issue raised on this thread to be Innoxa Baby Bath (it's blue).

I did alot of reading about SLS's (Sodium Laurel Sulphate) which is the chemical in our toiletries that we use on a daily basis which creates the foam/bubbles.

As already mentioned, the debate is whether it is absorbed into our skin (including our scalps) and whether it causes cancer...(doesn't everything cause cancer these days). There are also claims that SLS's don't even clean, it simply gives us the illusion of cleaning.

Next time you wash your hair with shampoo and get plenty of suds, you'll know what it is. Infact during pregnancy, I was so concerned about SLS being absorbed into my blood stream and to the baby, that I reduced using shampoo and used conditioner instead ... (thanks to this scare, I have finally found an economical answer to my dry hair problem).

Anyway Innoxa Baby Bath doesn't contain SLS's. It's also soap free, not tested on animals, smells delicious and most importantly does NOT contain mineral oils (which was another issue raised on this thread). Mineral oils is the opposite of olive oil, it drys the babies skin (it's in lots of J&J's products).

Having said all that, I use Innoxa as a first choice but as mothers dont we have enough fears to deal with. Even though I'm aware of the possible dangers associated with SLS I still use Curash, J&J (the baby blue bottle), QV, BodyShop Baby Products when I run out of Innoxa. (Infact I'm hooked on Curash right now).

Daniella, Sydney, 15 month old

Hi Damsel,

Thanks for taking the time to do all that explaining. I never new about the cancer part, so it is clearer why mums choose not to use these SLS's.

Tepe

Hi again...

I am just wondering then, after all that has been said here why a company that specifically sells baby products would have chemicals in them that are not safe...?

I understand all mum's have fears and concerns, but if we can't trust the big companies like J&J, then who can we trust?

I respect and appreciate that when it comes to babies we are very protective and concerned about everything that they are exposed to... but where do we draw the line?

New research comes out every other day claiming something or other is bad for us or will cause cancer or other illnesses... it is human nature to poke blame for those things we don't have all the answers for.

Until I hear of medical proof that J&J baby bath products are harmful I will contunue to use them, not because I am niave... simply because I have to beleive a company dealing in baby products is doing the right thing.

I hope my view doesn't offend anyone, that is not my intention... I just felt that more needed to be said.

I am honestly confused too! :/

I have used the J&J bathtime (purple bottle) which reads 'soap free' since we brought baby home from the hospital. This too bubbles. Had NO idea of or even heard of SLS up until now....

The only thing i was made aware of was not to use baby powder as baby can inhale it and not to use baby massage oil as that can also be harmful not sure exactly why but i remember it mentioned at my mother's group and it was suggested we use olive oil instead.

Geez if we sit here analysing everything we will honestly go looney.... just my opinion sad

helena- vic- ds-3.5 dd- 1

Sign in to follow this topic