Learn More
  1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Baby
  4. Baby's Health
  5. Pneumococcal Vaccination

Pneumococcal Vaccination Rss

Hi

Have any of you vaccinated your child against pneumococcal? What are the risks associated with this vaccine?

Thanks!

Gabriella, Chiara & angel called home

Hiya,

My Dr recently discussed this Vaccine with me. She said there are no common risks associated with it, and that she would recommend anyone to have it if they can afford it.

She was discussing it with me due to my sons constant ear infections. Some studies have shown that it may help in the severity of ear infections!

I hope to some more about this too!

Tepe

DD5, DS3, DS lost to SIDS at 6mths & DD6m

I am going to vaccinate my daughter when the vaccine comes in to my pharmacy. There is actually a world shortage at the moment. I think it should be here by the end of May. I asked my doctor if he recommended it and he said yes. I think they have to have three injections, two months apart (similar to the Hep B shot).

Mum to DD 08.08.03 and DS 12.05.05

Hi Phantom,

My Dr looked it up last week and she said after 7 months, they only need 2 shots. She also told me about the shortage and said in the next couple of months it should be available again.

Tepe

Hi Tepe,

My bub is 9 months old so that is great if she only needs two shots. Thanks for that info.

Bron

Hi everyone,

Surely there is someone out there that has actually had it done....anyone, any info would be great!

No probs Bron, i just hope i didn't sound rude, i just wanted to pass on the info,

Take care everyone,

Tepe

Hi Tepe

I had a quick look on the Australian Government Dept of Health Website for some info. Here is a summary:

Disease:
Pneumococcal infections - bacteria spread by droplets; cause fever, pneumonia, septicaemia, meningitis

Effects of disease:
About 1 in 10 meningitis patients dies

Side Effects of Vaccination:
Polysaccharide vaccine: Less than 1 in 20 has pain or local reaction.
Conjugate vaccine: About 1 in 10 has local reaction or fever.

The website is very informative if you want to browse:

http://www.immunise.health.gov.au

Hope this helps. I am 99% sure I will go ahead with the vaccine.

Cheers
Lili

Hi Lili,

Thanks for all that, i will check it out! I am pretty sure i will do it too! I am going back to have EVERYTHING checked out in about 6 weeks, and will take it from there!

When and if you get the vaccination, let us all know, i for one will want to hear all about it!

Are you planning on getting it done when it comes back into stock???

Tepe

Hi Tepe

My daughter is 5 months old so I plan to get the vaccination as soon as possible. How old are your children?

I already have a prescription from my doctor and will see this week how long it will take for the vaccine to become available. Do you know how much it costs?

Will keep you posted!

Hi Lily,

My kidlets are 1 and 3 in June and July, in that order! I only plan to immunize my son, he's 1, mainly due to "anything" that may help his ear infections. This just being a bonus with the vaccination as well!

My Dr said it is about $100.00 a shot, so as your daughter is 5 months she will need 3 lots about 2 months apart!

Goodluck, and hope to hear more from you, especially when you have it done!

Tepe

Hi Tepe,

You didn't sound rude, so don't worry. I meant to say I already have my prescription too. Its sitting in the pharmacy waiting for stocks to come in.

Cheers,
Bron

Hi again

I went to the pharmacist yesterday and she explained that there is a problem with the manufacturer in the US which has led to the shortage (this is for the Previnar vaccination). At this stage, the next shipment date is beginning of June but this is not definite and apparantly the shortage dates back to February - so who knows when it will be available!

Preference is given to those children who are at higher risk (indigenous children for instance) and those who have already had a first/second dose. So looks like I will have to wait...! sad

The cost quoted to me was $139 and you can claim this from your medical fund if you are a member.

Will keep the forum posted.

Cheers

Sign in to follow this topic