Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Nappies

Learn More

scared of choking Rss

I know there are plently on mums outhere who are happy to give advice when asked for. So please if anyone can help i would greatly appreciate it.

My 6 1/2 month old is currently eating rice cereal, pureed fruit, mashed veges, chicken and meat lightly pureed.

I know it is time to introduce toast etc. But how????
I have taken one small leap and let him suck on arrowroot biscuits with fingers on standby.

I am PETRIFIED that he is going to choke.

How do i start on toast and where do i go from there.

Please excuse my fear and lack of knowledge but am a first time mum who would love to get everything right ( in a dream world)

michelle, mom to maxwell (11.03) & isaac (10.05)

Hi Michelle

I was really scared of my son choking too. He had a really sensitive gag reflex and the slightest lump in his food would have him gagging. I found he was better with finger food, such as toast, rather than lumpy food. I used to cut toast into four 'fingers' and it took him a while to get used to it but he eventually did. Another good finger food is pieces of banana. Some babies - like mine - do take a while to get used to more solid foods but they do get the hang of it. I thought my son would never get it but all of a sudden he seemed to manage really well. I totally understand your fear, I felt the same way.

All the best
Jasmine
Michelle,

I know exactly where you're coming from. After i got over it with my daughter, my son came along & i was scared all over again!! Anyway, it's something that you have to get over & let them eat new foods. Toast is an easy thing cos they generally suck it & it goes all soggy. Just cut the crusts off & cut into fingers. Anything that can be softened, mashed is easy for them to chew on cos they break it down. She will gag alot cos she's not used to food, only soft stuff that slides down. Just make sure you sit with her & i'm sure she'll be ok. (You will too!!!!)

Good luck, & know that you aren't the only first mum that has had these fears. They happen to everyone.

Cheers.

Michelle - Mum to 2

Hello Michelle,
I have the same fear I would feed my baby the stuff from jars, fruit,yogurt custard etc but when I tried to cook things myself to introduce different texture he would gag and usually bring up everything, I now feed him toast lightly buttered cut up into small squares, or pieces of banana ( messy ) large enough to fit in his hand eg 1 banana into 3 pieces. Dinner sometimes cut up pieces of steak or pieces of mince or a spoonfull of rice in front of him. I find that finger foods also keeps them entertained so that you can eat at the same time!

Vic, 3 y.o boy

Hey Michelle,
I'm pretty fearful of my son choking too! WE usually let him nibble on some chips if we cook the big fat ones! He's eaten a little bit of bread also, but not without gagging a few times (and scaring his mum half to death)!! What is your child's birthdate? My son is about 6 and a half months old too!! Should they be eating bread at this age? Just a question, if I feed him rice, how do I give it to him?!!

eìí? well ... it started with a kiss eìí?-3-064

Hi Brandons mum

I used to mix some cooked rice through my son's mashed vegies. He used to gag at first but finally got used to it. With bread I found that my son gagged less if I toasted it, I think because he'd suck it to death so by the time he swallowed it, it was really soggy smile !

Hope this helps
Jasmine
hi brandons mum,

sorry its taken so long to reply, things have been a bit hectic as i've just started back at work two days a week.

Since reading your post i too have tried chips (seemed that max thought they were a toy more than a finger food). Also from reading the other mums replies (thanks to you all) i have just crossed my fingers and gone for it with toast and avocado. This is now a favourite of max's. Sometimes he has a bit of a cough but nothing to panic about yet! (touch wood).

Max was born on the 5th of Nov. (7 months today)
Im not sure if he is suppose to be eating bread at this stage but all seems to be going well.

Im even going to be adventurous and try rice this weekend. A friend of mine suggested boiling rice till really soggy and mixing with a bit of chicken stock/chicken mince and a few diced steamed veges. A bit like a stew i suppose. I shall let you know how it goes.

As for your question about quantities. I honestly have no idea... I winging it on the food part. I have purchased a book called breast bottle bowl. It has a lot of good info in it but the sample menus they provide for a 9th is what max has been having for almost a month.

Sorry i couldnt be of more help.

michelle

michelle, mom to maxwell (11.03) & isaac (10.05)

Hi everyone,

Well i have found that the biggest problem we have in feeding is, Mummy doesn't think he can eat it! But guess what he can! He eats toast, banana and sandwiches. I just need to get over the fact that he doesn't need me to feed him, He he.

best of luck ,

Tepe

DD5, DS3, DS lost to SIDS at 6mths & DD6m

Sign in to follow this topic