Learn More
  1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Baby
  4. Baby's Health
  5. Nurofen for teething for 9 month old

Nurofen for teething for 9 month old Rss

Hi all,

Has anyone tried Nurofen for their 9 month old baby for teething? If so how effective was it? My teething at the moment and is not getting enough sleep, (day or night) I was wandering how effective Nurofen would be for teething.

Thanks.
Sam

Mum to toddler

Hi Sam,

Nurofen is fine for your bubs. Just make sure you give it to your child on a full tummy. It works better for a fever than Panadol too.

Goodluck.

Natalie
Hi Sam,

Fortunately i have never had to use any pain relief for teething. I have heard lots of friends say though, that Neurofen is the best for teething.

It has an anti inflammentory affect on the gums i believe,

Tepe

DD5, DS3, DS lost to SIDS at 6mths & DD6m

just a quick note

nurofen in the adult strength isnt recommended if ppl have asthma. and ive had it b4 and got asthma pretty badly til it wore off. i know that babies nurofen isnt the same but it still has an anti inflammtry in it

just becareful with it. while bubs r still developing their little bodies.

the choice is yours but thats my thoughts. smile

DD 13/11/03 -DD 11.11.05 - DS 17.4.08

Hi Chelby,

I am glad you posted that, i had never heard that before. I have a lot of asthma in my family, touch wood it hasn't got any of us, but will be a little more aware now.

Thanks,

Tepe smile

Hi Sam,
I use Nurofen for my 10 month old son. I think it is more effective then Panadol. The only thing I was told was that you can't use Bonjella or similar products if you use Nurofen because they contain asprin, but because the Nurofen is a little stronger then Panadol you don't seem to need Bonjella anyway. Hope it helps. Best thing is to speak to your local chemist it's amazing how many things they can advice you on. Goodluck.
Cheers!
Lynette.
Hi,

I just recently used Nurofen on my 9 month old for her teething and it worked so much better than panadol! I will only give it to her on her worst day as since it is a stronger pain killer I don't want to give it too often. The chemist also said it can give bubs an upset tummy too so keep an eye out and stop using it if this occurs.

Mum(29) - DS 7yr, DD 4yr & DD 2yr

Hi,

My second son Harrison has had such a hard time with his teething and panadol was not helping him at all, so once he turned 6 months I was able to use Nurofen on the really bad days and I found it helped. I have always used it with my first Jordan and have found it works really well and both boys have never had any problems.

Tracy

Tracy NSW, 2 boys, 4 and 2

I use Nurofen for my 8 month old during the night, while he is teething....otherwise he wakes up every hour. I also use Bonjela aswell as he also seems to need that. I checked up on the directions and the Nurofen for children states that it does not contain Asprin. So I am hoping that it is okay, but will check with my nurse....
Hi,

Another major advantage of nurofen, is is lasts 6 - 8 hours! Panandol only last 3 - 4.

Also when things are real bad you can use both together, but that is extreme, and really shouldn't be used with teething.

Hoping everyone is well!

Tepe

My son was in hospital for a couple of weeks early this year and I noticed that the hospital staff give the post-surgical patients both Panadol and Nurofen together as they perform differents functions. The Nurofen (as someone mentioned) has an anti-inflammatory agent which is effective for teething. As Tepe advised, I wouldn't do this unless your bub is really bad - seek directions from a doctor. The only thing that I would be careful of is to make sure that the Nurofen is taken with or straight after food. If it is taken on an empty stomach it can cause irritation to the stomach lining. The hospital carers always gave it with meals because of this. This is also a danger for the adult Ibuprofen drugs. A friend of mine was prescribed Painstop by a doctor..does anyone know if that is used for teething?

Domestic Goddess Mum of Four!

Sign in to follow this topic