Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Nappies

Learn More

chickenpox vaccine Rss

hi well my daughter is 13mths old and i am just wondering how old they have to be to have the chickenpox needle? as i want to get hers done as soon as possible. how much did it cost you? anyhelp would be appreciated thanx
Hi Nat,

None of my kids have had the chickenpox vaccine, however I believe it's safe over 12 months. The new immunisation register now doesn't allow for a vaccine at 18 months of age & the health "professionals" recommend to get the chickenpox done then. I think this is when i'll get mydaughter & my son done. He will be 18months in October. (My daughter will be 4)
I have no idea of the cost, however I do believe you can claim some back if you have private health insurance.

Sorry I'm not much help to you.

Michelle - Mum to 2

My daughter had the chicken pox vaccine at 12 months - it just has to be done at the same time as the MMR or at least 1 month apart.

mum to 2 girls

Hi,

My doc said it cpsts about $75 but my eventually be free if the government covers it. I am definitely getting bith my 2 done as I had the worst experience with chickpox for 2 weeks when I was a teenager...I couldn't walk, could barely eat, need help to go to the loo and shower plus it effected my nervous system and my legs constantly twitched...to this day they still twitch but at least it's not constantly!! Getting this vaccine is definitely worth it!!

Mum(29) - DS 7yr, DD 4yr & DD 2yr

Hi Nat

I was at the doctor today and she mentioned this vaccine to me. Apparently your baby can have it from 12 months of age. As one of the other mum's said in a previous post you have it done at the same time as the MMR vaccination (Measles/Mumps/Rubella) or at least one month later.

According to the Dept of Health, Australian Standard Vaccination Schedule the "Varicella-zoster (chickenpox) vaccine is now recommended for all children at 18 months of age (level II evidence), with a catch-up dose for adolescents 10 to 13 years of age without a history of either varicella or varicella vaccination (level II evidence).

Here is the website reference if you want to have alook:

http://www1.health.gov.au/immhandbook/

The cost varies depending on which chemist fills your prescription and she said it is around $50.00.

Good luck!

Gabriella, Chiara & angel called home

Sign in to follow this topic