Learn More
  1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Baby
  4. Baby's Health
  5. Using a heater in baby's room

Using a heater in baby's room Rss

Hi

I am currently using a heater (oil column type) to keep baby's room warm at night. I keep it on all night and was just wondering whether this would affect the baby in any way - i.e. are there any pollutants going into the air that would be unsafe? Does anybody else use a heater in their baby's room? And for how long?

Gabriella, Chiara & angel called home

Hi Lili,

I live in Victoria & it is freezing down here at the moment, as is most places I gather!!!!(except QLD).

Anyway I have a 15 month old son & he is prone to getting out of his covers at night so I use the same type of heater you do. It goes on when I go to bed, about 10 ish & then we switch it off in the morning when we wake & turn on the central heating.

As for your question regarding the air being unsafe, I can't really say to be honest. I used it for my daughter (who is now 3.5), & i never had any trouble. Maybe check with your GP or health nurse next visit, they may have a little more info. I'll also try to remember & if I find out i'll let you know.

Cheers.

Michelle - Mum to 2

HI

thanks for your response. I am pretty sure there is no danger with column heaters - but these days you can never tell! I might take this up with the health nurse as you suggested.

Hi Lili. I used a coloumn heater when my baby was a new born last August as it was really really cold overnight. But now I use a sleeping bag as the baby might get hot and can just throw the blanket off.

JZ mum to Bradley 17/08/03 and Heidi 25/02/06

There is a story on Today Tonight (channel 7) at 6.30 pm tonight on this very topic! It sounded pretty ominous in the advertisement: "how heaters are poisoning you and your family" while showing a mother feeding her baby....

From the bit I saw on that show it was talking about gas heaters and possible risks of asthma and respiratory problems. I thought they said 'unflued' (?) heaters transmitting fumes into the air. I didn't catch it all, but I think they have info on their website.

Domestic Goddess Mum of Four!

Hi Lili. I missed it. What did they say about it?

JZ mum to Bradley 17/08/03 and Heidi 25/02/06

Hi

They were talking about gas heaters (not oil column ones) and how if they are the "unflued" variety (which are most made pre-1990) then they emit some dangerous chemicals into the air. I have copied the information from the website below for those who missed it.

Pretty scary stuff!

Lili

Experts have raised the alarm over poisonous gases emitted from unflued gas heaters. Studies show them generating twice the safe levels of nitrogen dioxide.

About one million households in Australia use unflued gas heaters because they're energy efficient and cheap to run. But they could be dangerous to your health.

Environmental air consultant Len Ferrari says nitrogen dioxide is a dangerous byproduct of unflued gas heaters - that is, gas heaters without proper exhaust fans.

"The three most common gases that we're worried about from unflued gas heaters are NO2, CO and formaldehyde," Mr Ferrari said. "The main health problems from NO is from respiratory effects - particularly young children or old people who have asthma." "It can bring on an asthma attack," he said.

Professor Louis Pilotto from Flinders University conducted his own groundbreaking experiment, monitoring 118 kids with asthma from 18 schools for three months.

"We looked at chest tightness, difficulty breathing, cough, wheezing and asthma attacks," Professor Pilotto said.

In the first study of its kind in Australia Professor Pilotto replaced unflued gas heaters in half of the schools with electricity or vented gas. The results were alarming. "The asthma symptoms in the children were reduced in those children in which we'd taken unflued gas heaters out of the classrooms and replaced them with electrical or flued gas heaters," Professor Pilotto said.

Western Australian health minister Jim McGinty is stunned at the results and has issued a public warning. "For people thinking of buying an unflued gas heater, I'd urge you to think again," Mr McGinty said.

To show just how toxic the nitrogen dioxide levels can be, we asked Mr Ferrari to put three unflued gas heaters to the test.

In the first home the nitrogen dioxide levels soared to 237 parts per billion - more than double the 110 parts per billion considered safe by the World Health Organisation.

"At that sort of level some children with asthma may be affected," Mr Ferrari said.
He says the levels of nitrogen dioxide would increase if the heater was left on overnight, especially as the air outside cools down and the heater operates at higher levels.

Mr Ferrari also tested the air outside, finding that nitrogen dioxide levels were dramatically lower.
"The NO2 is now down to three parts per billion," he said. "So the air outside is actually healthier than the air inside."

In the next house, nitrogen dioxide levels peaked at a staggering 392 parts per billion - almost four times the safe level. In the third house Len registered a reading of 238.
"Quite often, even with ventilation, some of the heaters get even higher than this," Mr Ferrari said.

Mother-of-three Kathy Williams is in shock. She's just found out her unflued gas heater might cause asthma and breathing problems in her children.
"I didn't know nitrogen dioxide wasn't good for our health and I didn't know it was produced from these gas heaters," Ms Williams said.
"As a mother I'm very concerned about my children now, and them developing any things like asthma in the future."
"And I would do anything like any other mother to protect my children's health and safety."

Last winter the federal government commisioned Mr Ferrari to test more than 100 homes for toxic fumes from unflued gas heaters. The results were shocking and many of the homes had extremely high levels of nitrogen dioxide.

But the government still hasn't released those results to the public. "I think the government should be telling us about these sorts of heaters and the effects they have on children and adults today," Ms Williams said.

Rinnai, Australia's largest manufacturer of unflued gas heaters, responded to Mr Ferrari and Professor Pilotti's studies in a fax stating: "all unflued appliances are certified to Australian Standards". But it added that "heaters produced pre-1990 may have emission levels above the present standard."

However, the heaters we tested with Mr Ferrari were less than three years old. And all of them emitted more than double the recommended safe standard of nitrogen dioxide. According to pollution expert Dr Peter Dingle there are ways to minimise the risk.

"Just open the doors and windows a little bit, let a little bit of air come in to dilute it," Dr Dingle said. "Just that fraction, and that will help a little."
Ms Williams says she'll be looking at a different form of heating.

"Because if it's not good for the children's health we certainly need to look elsewhere," she said.

Hi

I posted a reply to the forum this morning with information from the website but it was being sent to the moderator...it is still not showing up so not sure what happened???

Hi Everyone,

Basically the idea was about any gas heater that is used without a flu, which is most. They were saying that the levels of "something" were way too high. I think it may have been nitrogeon. The point of the story was to say, they are way higher than the normal levels accepted, and those with respitory problems etc, would probably be affected.

Food for thought,

Tepe

DD5, DS3, DS lost to SIDS at 6mths & DD6m

Hi Lili

I use the same type of heater as you in my one year old son's room. I put it on just before he has dinner so it's warm when I change him for his bath and I leave it on all night. He won't sleep under the blankets and he has a sleeping bag over his jumpsuit but the nights are so cold. I put a small bowl of water on top of his tallboy so the air doesn't dry out too much. If I didn't leave the heater on he would freeze.

All the best
Jasmine
my youngeest son has the heater on all nite on low . the middle one has i timer on his . my oldest son doesnt have one he has 2 quilts

mum of 3 boys aged 11, 13 and 14

Sign in to follow this topic