Be comfortable in your skin – this is a judgement free zone. Find out more!

Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Nappies

Learn More
  1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Baby
  4. Baby's Health
  5. Wiping a snotty nose - does it get any easier?

Wiping a snotty nose - does it get any easier? Rss

DD has come down with her second cold, the first was in the last week of Feb - such a big event (LOL). Anyway, I am finding it almost impossible to wipe her nose. As soon as she hears me pull a tissue out of her box, or spots it in my hand - she whinges and runs away. I am very gentle and very quick about it and she hasn't got a sore nose so I don't think its hurting her. Its such a big ordeal we have all come to hate it.

I was wondering if any-one had some tips on how to do it with out all the 'drama'.

Does it get any better or are they always going to hate it and struggle so much?

DD is 3yr 8 months - DS is 6 months

hi there

my 7mth dd absolutley hates it too! it is also becoming a struggle to wipe her face after she has some food! so you can just imagine just how much fun i am having trying to give her oral antibiotics twice a day!!!! it is really quite painful, it is even starting to affect her eating solids...

please please tell me it gets better... smile

kristie

Kristie, tvlle, 3.5yr & newborn

Things aren't getting any better with DD. She is happy enough to have her hands wiped now so maybe that is a sign she will eventually get use to her face being wiped. I started wiping and blowing my nose with a tissue, making sure she was watching. She give me that freaked out look, the one I see her give the vacuume 'vaccie' - her arch enemy - LOL. The silly thing is if she just let me do it, it would be over in half the time. Ah well, I haven't much else to complain about at this age so count myself pretty lucky I suppose.

DD is 3yr 8 months - DS is 6 months

Hi there !

My son lets me wipe his nose with his wet vipes !
Not sure if you tried that yet or not !

Hey Kazi

I'm going thru this with my little man who's 9 mths - he sees the cloth nappy or baby wipe coming and lurches away and bats my hands away, cries etc...such a fuss over something so small and painless! So I've taken to saying 'Nate, watch Mummy' then wiping my own face - he's fascinated by this and laughs, then I quickly do his and he doesn't seem to mind it as much then.

I think his particular aversion to having his nose wiped is because when he was tiny and helpless I was always (very gently) pulling boogers out of his nose, so now that he's bigger he doesn't want me coming near his nose at all! LOL. I am very tricky and wipe his nose heaps in the bath because he has so much fun with me in there that he barely notices...that way when we're drying him afterwards the boogers are all soft (sorry, this is gross!) and I can wipe them really easily.

The things we do, hey? smile

Tracy, QLD, Nathaniel born 27 June 2005

Hi Kazi,
I use to let me kids use bumwipes. they are nice and soft and seem to be easier for them to use. I would let them do it themselves first and then I would have a go as well. I think they hate it becasue it hurts. The other idea is to put a box of tissues in her room and put her name on them, she will take ownership of them and use them!!! It worked for me.
Hi everyone, Megan is 11.5 months old and has always hated having her face or nose wiped. I have found that if I do it gently a bit at a time (eg forehead, cheeks, mouth, chin for face washing, or one nostril at a time for nose wiping), she seems to tolerate it better. I have also found that if I get her attention and wiggle my eyebrows or something while I gently wipe, she tends to stay still and watch my face. I use a cloth nappy for wiping her nose.

I use Otrivin Junior Nasal Drops when she has a cold. One drop up each nostril works a treat - it clears her nose for the whole night. They're medicated, but I only use them just before bedtime when she's really blocked up. I lay her on my lap and drop her head back a bit. If I'm slow and careful, she lets me put the drops up her nose.

If she's not in the mood and not letting me wipe, then I just swoop in and get the job done.

Hope this helps!

WA, daughters born May 2005 and June 2007

Sign in to follow this topic