Learn More
  1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Baby
  4. Baby's Health
  5. Vaccination debate.

Vaccination debate. Lock Rss

Hi All,

Seeing we're all giving our opinion, I will give mine also.

I am 100% pro routine vaccines, and wouldn't even think of being any other way. In saying that, yes, I am nervous when I took both my children for the needles, but after they were given I felt so much better knowing that I have done all that I can do to help protect my children from diseases that can be vaccinated against.

Someone said somewhere about doctors and their kids, my hubby is an emergency doctor, and we have heaps of friends that are emergency, paed, gp's etc etc and not a single one of us would even think of not vaccinated their children.

Did anyone watch the program on tv about 2 or 3 weeks ago about whooping cough? In a community in Australia, which has the lowest rate of vaccinated children, a 4 week old baby girl died of Whooping Cough. I sat there (yes, I am pregnant and hormonal!!!) and cried my eyes out the whole time the program was on, it was just so sad knowing that baby would not have died if she wasn't exposed to a disease that should, in theory, eventually be eradicated if we all vaccinated our children. They were even talking about the chance of Polio coming back because of the amount of people not getting vaccinated! How scary.

Getting mentioned over is chicken pox, that would be the least of my worries! I'm more concerned about haemophilus, meningococcal, pneumococcal... to name only 3! these are the more serious deadly diseases not "childhood diseases."

Again, yes, we all have a choice, and my choice is, I am willing to take the risk of side effects if it means I don't have to sit there watching my child suffer for something I could have vaccinated against.
[Edited on 12/05/2009]
Firstly, I have a suggestion maybe you should send all of your extensive research and wealth of knowledge to the lady who watched her beautiful baby girl Dana die in her arms of whooping cough recently - I'm sure she would find it a compelling read!

Or maybe go and spend a day in the neonatal wing and share your views to parents of children suffering horrific effects of measles.The fact that you have "googled" most of your information dosnt convince me (you did put up about six links, so yes you googled it), just makes me sad to think that when some mothers are given all of the hard scientific facts of the benefits of immunisation they will still find an argument, where is your evidence?

Have you only researched the "against" argument? Or have you researched both sides? Your tag for this forum is "immunisation debate" is it not?

I enjoyed your previous statement, "Can you please put up where you got that information from because from everything I have read the chance of my kid getting one of these diseases in the first place is pretty slim." THERE IS A REASON FOR THAT - VACCINATION OF OTHER CHILDREN! I suggest you research the percentage of death/permanant disfigurement of these diseases in the years prior to the vaccinations becoming readily available and then compare it to now. And then compare it to the "actual" proven cases where the immunisation was without a doubt "nor argument" from the medical community the sole reason why these children have become autistic etc. You have the luxury of not immunising your children because i immunise mine and you are putting my babies and everyone elses at risk because you havent done your research, THAT IS A FACT AND IT HAS BEEN PROVEN! I look forward to your next installment.

Christopher 08/10/05 William 30/12/08

Posted by: mrsnemo
I enjoyed your previous statement, "Can you please put up where you got that information from because from everything I have read the chance of my kid getting one of these diseases in the first place is pretty slim." THERE IS A REASON FOR THAT - VACCINATION OF OTHER CHILDREN!

Actually I made that statement and the evidence I have seen does not support your argument that you vaccinating means that my kids have less chance of getting a disease because they were on the decline BEFORE most vaccines for them were introduced. If you want my source,ask me for it, I will be happy to provide it.

I suggest you research the percentage of death/permanant disfigurement of these diseases in the years prior to the vaccinations becoming readily available and then compare it to now.

I have done the research and I don't think you can compare the conditions that people lived in when these disease were rampant with the conditions we are living with today. As above, many of these disease were on the decline before the vaccines were introduced due to improved sanitation, living conditions and medical advancement.

You have the luxury of not immunising your children because i immunise mine and you are putting my babies and everyone elses at risk because you havent done your research, THAT IS A FACT AND IT HAS BEEN PROVEN! I look forward to your next installment.

Where is the proof, I am still waiting for someone to show it to me. Maybe instead of telling a mum she is wrong, you can actually listen to what she has to say. Can you refute any of what she has said? Show me an article, site a website, whatever that says she (or me for that matter)is incorrect?

If you want to vaccinate, fine you do that, if you believe it works then it shouldn't matter what everyone else is doing. People not vaccinating has nothing to do with the fact that these disease haven't been "eradicated" yet...............if anything they might be on to something.

I am not a "non vaxer" in the truest sense of the word, if anything I am only a delayed/selective vaxer. However, in the course of my research I understand and support another family's right to not vax at all if that is what they feel is the right decision for them. I don't check the vaccine status of everyone I come into contact with because I accept that my kids might get sick and I'm not going to spend my life (or theirs) worrying about every little germ that they might ever come into contact with.

I understand both sides...i choose to immunise completely because there is alot of prejudice towards children who are not vaccinated. In order for my son to be accepted to our gym childcare place he had to vaccinated..my brothers school did not accept children who were not immunised and my cousins daycare place rejected her due to her not being immunised. It is a very difficult subject, and everyone has their own opinion and own research..i dont think there is a right or wrong answer to this one.
[Edited on 13/05/2009]
[quote][b]Posted by:[/b] Jamesmum2003 [quote][b]Posted by:[/b] mrsnemo I don't check the vaccine status of everyone I come into contact with because I accept that my kids might get sick and I'm not going to spend my life (or theirs) worrying about every little germ that they might ever come into contact with. [/quote] I'm sorry, but comparing the diseases that are being vaccinated against to "any old germ" is just not correct. You cannot compare the deadly diseases that a child is protected against with vaccine to "worrying about every little germ they might come in contact with." In fact, if your child IS in contact with a deadly diseases such as Pneumococcal, Meningococcal (to only name 2!!!!) you WILL be worried about it I am sure!! I am going to post a link from the WORLD HEALTH ORGANISATION.. who's opinion and research cannot be compared to your research IMHO, and they list 6 common misconceptions about immunisation, and ironically, it lists alot of the your responses as being these misconceptions.... 6 COMMON MISCONCEPTIONS ABOUT IMMUNISATION "Diseases had already begun to disappear before vaccines were introduced, because of better hygiene and sanitation". "The majority of people who get disease have been vaccinated". "There are "hot lots" of vaccine that have been associated with more adverse events and deaths than others. Parents should find the numbers of these lots and not allow their children to receive vaccines from them". "Vaccines cause many harmful side effects, illnessses, and even death - not to mention possible long-term effects we don't even know about". "Vaccine-preventable diseases have been virtually eliminated from my country, so there is no need for my child to be vaccinated". "Giving a child multiple vaccinations for different diseases at the same time increases the risk of harmful side effects and can overload the immune system". It has 6 pages following addressing these misconceptions, here is the link for anyone who is interested. http://www.who.int/immunization_safety/aefi/immunization_misconceptions/en/index.html [Edited on 13/05/2009]
Posted by: Jamesmum2003

If you want to vaccinate, fine you do that, if you believe it works then it shouldn't matter what everyone else is doing. People not vaccinating has nothing to do with the fact that these disease haven't been "eradicated" yet...............if anything they might be on to something.

Wow. Wow. Wow. To even type this!? A vaccination is not a placebo, and if we "believe it works it will." It will work, whether we believe it does or not... And to say that "vaccination has nothing to do with the fact disease haven't been eradication yet." Are you serious? Ever heard of polio? or small pox?
[Edited on 13/05/2009]
I've seen that link and if you want to believe it then do.
The thing is that most people who look into it look at the vaccine alone.....I haven't. I have read countless books on disease, how it works, how it spreads and how man's quest for superiority over all things actually might be the reason these diseases are still around in the first place. People think that germs are out to get us and that the only "good" germ is a dead germ without realising that alot of germs actually protect us from getting sick in the first place.

Has anyone asked why there have been NO studies done comparing the health and transmission of "vaccine preventable" diseases in non-vaxed kids with that of vaxed or partially vaxed kids? If they are so safe, and so effective and these diseases are as deadly as they are made out to be then why not do a study that proves it beyond a doubt? Why not publish the facts of the kids who die.....so things like whether they were "at risk"? It is easy to say that someone died, but harder to tug at the heartstrings when you release certain facts.

Case in point.......there have been 3 people who have died from Swine flu outside Mexico so people say "well there goes the theory that it is due to the conditions in Mexico. However, the child who died was actually Mexican and died while visiting a relative and the 2 adults who died had "severe underlying" health issues. So a headline that reads "3 die from swine flu" will scare a hell of a lot more people than one that reads " 3 die from swine flu, but there were underlying health issues that might have contributed".

The WHO states that 1 in 3,000 people die from measles in an industrialised country (which we live in) and that statistic says to me that my child has a 1 in 2,999 chance of NOT dying from the measles. Compare that to 1 in 5 chances of dying if living in a developing country (like Africa) and I'll take my chances; if I lived in Africa this wouldn't be an issue because at 1 in 5, that's a bit more risky than 1 in 3,000. So to me the facts are that if I live in a developing country like Africa (which I don't) then my child is more likely to a) come in contact with a disease that might kill them and b)have serious complications. What is the difference between Africa and say Australia.....the standards of sanitation, medical care, access to that medical care and a "decent" quality of living; those things that are a big crock apparently when it comes to disease.

This is going round and round the houses and going nowhere fast. If you want to vaccinate do, if you don't don't if you'd rather risk a child with austism than a possible dead child then do that too; that is your right as a parent as it is someone else's to not vax either because they are worried about side effects, autism, moral grounds or whatever their reason is for not doing it.

Quite serious...my point was that if vaccines are as effective as people believe they are then it shouldn't matter what everyone else is doing because your child will not get sick because your belief is that they do what they say on the box and that even if you don't believe it does..........the thing is if they worked in everyone who vaccinated (which they don't, even the vaccine manufacturer's begrudgingly admit this)then these diseases wouldn't exist because they would have no means of being spread. And if it did, by many people's estimation, those who weren't "protected" would all be dead anyway, so again no means of being transmitted.

Actually polio is still around, if it wasn't we wouldn't be vaccinating against it like we stopped vaccinating against smallpox.

My head hurts.............it's obvious that nothing I say is going to sway you (which is fine)so I will just step out and leave it at that.

I'm just going to reply one more time, because I just don't agree with typing things that just are simply not true, as it can make other mothers scared.

Firstly, there IS NO polio in Australia, BUT in fact the country is WORRIED that it will actually come back due to the fact that there is an increasing trend to not vaccinate your children.

There are many points in what you said which are very untrue, and also EXTREMELY RARE which I can't be bothered answering, such as getting the vaccine and then your body not being immune after..... this is EXTREMELY EXTREMELY RARE and I don't know the statistics, but is even more rare in some vaccines than other, not all.

Regarding Autism, there is no proven link between Autism and vaccination.

"Germs" are what creates and develops our immunity, the fact that we are in constant contact with harmless germs is why we don't get sick with every germ we do come across. Please don't compare these everyday "germs" to the deadly Viruses we are vaccinated against.

Also, you cannot compare Swine Flu as the human race does not have immunity to this strain of Flu. Besides the lucky few who may have natural immunity. But we CAN have immunity to the diseases vaccinated against. Yes the media hypes, this will always be true, and will always only show the bad stuff which is what gets our attention. Hence, why they showed the community in Australia who currently has a massive outbreak of measles and whooping cough as only 1 in 3 I think it was? children are vaccinated.... oh yes, but they are treated "homeopathically" yet hmm... heaps are getting measles and whooping cough............

I am obviously 100% pro vaccines as much as you are against, so we will have to agree to disagree, but I would recommend, if anyone is very worried about NOT vaccinating their child, they should be reading the WHO (world health organisation) website, not some fluffy website someone created who strongly disagrees/agrees with vaccination.
Sign in to follow this topic