Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Nappies

Learn More

Help needed! Rss

hey everyone,

I have an 8 week old with a very bad cold. He wakes up in the night pretty much struggling to breathe because his nose gets so blocked. Can you please tell me the best way to try and get the mucos out of his nose because I have no idea sad

please give me some advice!

Karina, S.A, mum to Kaleb born 25/07/04

one of the best things we have found (and friends swear by it too) is a Booger sucker - I don't know if that is what they are really called though smile Iwas very scepical at first but basically its a little tube you squeeze and then put up their nose then release and it sucks out the snot its a crack up and really works. Vaporisers are excellent too.

Best bet though is to pop down to the chemist as they can explain different products to you.

One other thing i found was shutting the bathroom door and putting the shower on hot and full with no fan and then when it is really steamy go in their with bubs for a little while . I use dto feed bennett in there so he had to beathe through his nose and that helped clear it a bit.

Good luck

Steph

Steph VIC Mummy to one gorgeous boy

Steph,
I'm totally with you on this one they are called nasal aspirators, they do work wonders, and a great laugh too. poor lil guys don't like it too much though, well who would like a tube getting stuck up your nose only to have boogers sucked out?. My lil man actually lets me do it now to him (kind of) i guess he knows it helps him.
Also try and sleep him propped up slightly as this tends to help them breathe a bit easier. and doesn't allow the mucus to clog up thier noses as much.
Steam works wonders as also mentioned by Steph.
ok for the booger suckers "nasal aspirators" try out LITTLE NOSES by FESS this product is suitable for use by newborns so it is very safe etc. It comes with saline drops which loosen the boogers making it easier to get sucked out and drys out the nasal passage so it doesn't get as blocked so quickley.
Good luck let us know how you go.

Aleks, SA, 5yr old girl, 9yr old boy&bubs 10.4.04

We just used wet cotton buds and gently cleaned Krystas nose out when she had Bronchiolitis.. we were getting big strands of boogas *ick*

Mel, Mummy to Krysta 07-04-04 and Chloe 10-11-06

i have the nasal aspirator and found it did work a treat but my little boy has been getting a blood nose and all my friends are saying its because of hte nasal aspirator so i stopped using it because i thought it was hurting him. Has anyone else experienced this?

Karina, S.A, mum to Kaleb born 25/07/04

Its very lickely the nasal aspirator is your problem as they are only good when they are squeezed gently to suck the snot slowly. When mucous is sucked out too quickly it can be painful and leaves the nasal passage dry and sore. Many people think sucking babys nose by mouth is disgusting but you can control the amount of mucous that comes up and it is less painful for bub.

Mom of Andraya - 24.04.04 and Miguel - 05.05.08

Hi
Im sorry but I dont want to be rude to you other mums but really do you know how uncomfortable getting something sucked out your nose is?
I just used the good old none painful remedy of eucalyptus oil burning while he had a bath and in his room before bed it worked for me!
Also once when I returned home from vic and he had a bad cold I used Dimatap and his nose was cleared by the next day!
Hope I didnt insult anyone but its just my thoght,
Sorry
I still hope I helped Dawn
Meli

Mummy to 3 Boys

I found the booger sucker will only work when the snots are really gooey the hard ones don't seem to block their noses as much anyway

Don't worry I'm sure it won't be long before they have their fingers up their all the time smile

Steph

Steph VIC Mummy to one gorgeous boy

I have used the nasal aspirator with some success. the one I used was "FESS Little Noses" which are saline nose drops specially for newborns and babies. It is non-medicated and works by loosening and thinning nasal mucus. You then use the aspirator to suction all the mucus out. My duaghter has a cold at the moment and I am using it for her blocked nose. It seems to help - especially at night when her breathing seems to be more difficult.

As some of the other ladies have suggested, you could also try a steam vapouriser for your little one.

Good luck!

M2G

Gabriella, Chiara & angel called home

Yes, I have used the Fess saline nasal spray for my little one and found it worked well.

julia, tas, 8mth baby

Sign in to follow this topic