Learn More
  1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Baby
  4. Baby's Health
  5. Swine Flu Vaccination and babies

Swine Flu Vaccination and babies Rss

Hi All,

I have 3 children, 6, 2, and 7 months. My 6yo and my 2 year old had their Swine Flu Vaccination (my 2yo had his at 21 months). I am wondering if I should get my 7 month old vaccinated. She has exposure mostly with school drop off pick up with my 6yo DS

Anyone else had their young baby vaccinated against Swine Flu?

I'm also confused about the yearly seasonal flu vaccine as it is going to contain swine flu also... seeing she is only little, she would need 2 shots - 2 of the SF vaccine and 2 of the seasonal... should I just wait for seasonal?

Confused! Asked Dr. all he could say is that "There is not as much in the yearly seasonly vaccine as the SF only vaccine, so they don't know if it would give her enough immunity. They called public health and all they could say is "babies need 2 shots, but they didn't know if there is enough in yearly vaccine either!" pfft.

Anyone else?
Hi, My DD got the combined seasonal & swine flu shot just this week. My Dr checked with the Health Org before giving it to my DD and they advised 3years and above they only give the one needle but anything under the age of 3 Drs should do the 2 needles a month apart (1/2 dose quantity each time). My DD had the seasonal flu vaccine last year and had the 2 needles a month apart.

I also have a 7.5 month old DS and although the vaccine is for 6 months and up the Drs have suggested not to do anything until he is at least 1. So on their advice I am not going to get my DS vaccinated just yet. I also know of 2 babies, one being 7 months, the other being 1 that have bad reactions to the vaccine.
thanks for your reply, I appreciate it.

when you say they had 'bad reactions" what happened?
Difficulties breathing & very lethargic. The 1 yr old was taken in an Ambulance to John Hunter, stayed a few hours and the next day he was back to himself again.
My daughter is 8 months old and had her 1st seasonal flu vaccine yesterday-she will have another one in a month. I am a GP myself, so I have a pretty good understanding of all of the vaccinations (I also see alot of children with my work). We waited until now to give her the vaccine as we wanted to cover her for the all of the strains in this years fluvax as well as swine flu-as you mentioned, if you do it separately, your child will have to have more than 2 injections. Our practice got the seasonal flu needles in last week.

The immunisation guidelines recommend that children under three have 2 swine flu vaccines or two seasonal flu vaccines a month apart-the reason for this is that they do not mount an adequate response with only one injection. However, with the seasonal fluvax, if you decide to give this to year child annually, he/she will only have to have one injection from the second year on.

The guidelines this year recommend that all children over 6 months be immunised against swine flu (this is free for all Australians) and for parents to consider immunising for seasonal flu as well (this is only free if the child has a significant medical condition but the cost of the needle is not much)-I think it's a good idea given that children can become very unwell with the flu.

Hope that helps

PS children are no more likely to have adverse reactions to fluvax than adults and most reactions will be mild and short-lived. My daughter reacted more to her 6 month immunisations than her needle yesterday
Hi Mums,
just on the topic of flu injections... l am undecided on wether to get my 3yr old or 10mth old vaccinated.....l read somewhere that everyone should have at least 12 colds a year to keep their immune system in order? what ever that means!.... But do not no wether to go ahead with swine vac or not.....l guess we are not really informed enough on these vaccs?
Thanks again for the replies. I appreciate it.

My now 2 yo has been having the yearly flu shot since he was 12 months. My 6 year old son has been having his since he was 3 - he had the flu when he was 2 and ended up admitted to hospital for a few days - it never even occured to me before then to get a annual flu shot before then!!

Both of my children when they had their first ever flu shot they got a once off high fever - given nurofen - then it was gone. With each shot after that, they have not had fevers.

Both my sons have now had their 2 doses of swine flu vaccine, and will be getting the seasonal flu shot also in 4 weeks time. Both had no reactions at all - and wouldn't have known they even had it.

LOUISA - you might be able to answer me this question (with raiding the drug fridge at work) can you tell me how many mcg's of H1N1 is in the single dose vaccine versus the mcg of H1N1 in the yearly vaccine???

I've decided to get my 7 month old just the yearly flu vaccine (containing H1N1) in 4 weeks time with her brothers - she will then have the 2nd shot a month after that.
In regards to 12 cold a year....

I think it is more that they do get 12 colds a year because they have don't have yet have a mature immune system, not that they 'have' to.

I think it's more along the lines that small children get sick all the time because they have no concept of controlling their symptoms and cough/sneeze/snot all over each other!

ick!

My oldest being 6 every year since starting kindy (at 2) to school last winter pretty much has a runny nose constantly from about April to September!!!!

My daughter is 8 months old and had her 1st seasonal flu vaccine yesterday-she will have another one in a month. I am a GP myself, so I have a pretty good understanding of all of the vaccinations (I also see alot of children with my work). We waited until now to give her the vaccine as we wanted to cover her for the all of the strains in this years fluvax as well as swine flu-as you mentioned, if you do it separately, your child will have to have more than 2 injections. Our practice got the seasonal flu needles in last week.

The immunisation guidelines recommend that children under three have 2 swine flu vaccines or two seasonal flu vaccines a month apart-the reason for this is that they do not mount an adequate response with only one injection. However, with the seasonal fluvax, if you decide to give this to year child annually, he/she will only have to have one injection from the second year on.

The guidelines this year recommend that all children over 6 months be immunised against swine flu (this is free for all Australians) and for parents to consider immunising for seasonal flu as well (this is only free if the child has a significant medical condition but the cost of the needle is not much)-I think it's a good idea given that children can become very unwell with the flu.

Hope that helps

PS children are no more likely to have adverse reactions to fluvax than adults and most reactions will be mild and short-lived. My daughter reacted more to her 6 month immunisations than her needle yesterday
Hi,
So do you have to give both the seasonal flu and swine flu vaccine or does the seasonal flu cover both? i have 5.5 yr boy, 2.2yr girl and 9mth boy.. none have every had any flu injection and my hubby isn't that keen on the swine flu as we had only heard of it last yr..
My daughter though suffers from colds alot more than any of us and she aslo has a blocked right ear (that we are currently working on with doctors).
So whats is best to do?
I AM VERY MUCH CONFUSED ABOUT IT ALL.

thanx
worry but

Hi,
So do you have to give both the seasonal flu and swine flu vaccine or does the seasonal flu cover both? i have 5.5 yr boy, 2.2yr girl and 9mth boy.. none have every had any flu injection and my hubby isn't that keen on the swine flu as we had only heard of it last yr..
My daughter though suffers from colds alot more than any of us and she aslo has a blocked right ear (that we are currently working on with doctors).
So whats is best to do?
I AM VERY MUCH CONFUSED ABOUT IT ALL.

thanx
worry but

My hubbys a doctor and got (diagnosed) swine flu last winter from the masses of patients coming in with it. He saw ALOT of very very sick people.

re needles - I know, it's confusing! I've had my 2 boys (6 and 2) their separate Swine Flu needles in Jan (had to have 2 shorts 1 month apart) Didn't get my daughter done then as she was under 6 months.

I've now booked all of us - myself, 6yo, 2yo and 8month old for our seasonal flu shot (also containing swine flu) for just over a weeks time. My 6yo will only need 1 shot, but my 8mo will need 2 shots as it's her first time.

I was told that there was apparently a few cases of swine flu in Australia a few weeks ago?
Sign in to follow this topic