Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Nappies

Learn More

Is honey ok Rss

Hi everyone

Just wanting to know if feeding my 3 month old honey water is ok as he got the flu and has a blocked nose. Our gp said it's ok but I've read on the net it not and can be deadly.
Hi

They recommend not giving honey until 12 months of age in case of allergic reaction. But I'm guessing you wouldn't be giving tablespoons.

If your gp said it was ok, did they give you any indiciation as a honey to water ratio?

I'd be wary & watch for any signs of allergy if you were to proceed.

Maybe just try some straight water instead.

Hope little one gets better very soon.
i had no idea honey was bad for babies! i gave DS1 little dips of it when he was a baby and never had an issue! i guess if your GP said its ok maybe go with that? if your worried about it keep an eye out for a reaction

1st baby due start of sep

I've been told by ECHC (and also read in Baby Love a.k.a The Bible) that honey in small children can cause botulism.
As I didnt know what botulism was, I just googled it, and found the below reference.

http://www.betterhealth.vic.gov.au/bhcv2/bhcarticles.nsf/pages/Botulism

I would steer clear of it.

His Royal Highness, Prince William

Yeah don't there is no reason for giving it, it won't make him feel any better honey can be very dangerous for babies.... Just use some breastmilk to squirt up his nose this will help clean the nasal passages, if not breastfeeding i would use some sterile water you can get it from the chemist..
i agree with PP's, also you can get fess drops, or nyal for his little nose.. i used these with my little one as they never aspirated her after birth and she was snuffly for ages, i used to have to put them up her nose and then after it softened the gunk i would aspirate it out to help her breath better smile
Hi

As others have said honey is a no no until 12 months because of the risk of botulism. Agree too that it wouldnt do anything to assist his symptoms.

For the flu and blocked nose you can use

- saline drops (either Fess little noses or Narium brands)
- baby panadol (they get the aches and pains along with a flu just like us)
- elevate his cot mattress by putting a rolled up towell under one end
- offer small frequent feeds
- invest in a vapouriser to run in his room while he's sleeping
- vicks baby balsalm on his chest and back

Hope he's better soon smile
Hi,I have heard that honey is a no no by a couple of celebrity chefs as it can contain salmonella and can be harmful and even deadly in extreme cases,so is recomended not to be given under 12 months of age
To give honey to your new born child is very healthy to your baby.I think honey is the powerful drug to protect your baby.everybody else his opinions and perhaps even start a very strong discussion.
==============
Mortgage Advice

To give honey to your new born child is very healthy to your baby.I think honey is the powerful drug to protect your baby.everybody else his opinions and perhaps even start a very strong discussion.
==============
Mortgage Advice

Im pretty sure if we always listened to the 'studies', we would never be able to feed our children anything, or even let them outside. Im surprised we arent advise about taking children out in cars because of the risk of an accident happening. The reason children get so many allergies these days is because we are advised againsts cutting out so many things before 12 months of age. I have 4 perfectly healthy children and they have all eaten honey from a young age ie 6 months. I suppose you use your own judgement.

I've been told by ECHC (and also read in Baby Love a.k.a The Bible) that honey in small children can cause botulism.
As I didnt know what botulism was, I just googled it, and found the below reference.

http://www.betterhealth.vic.gov.au/bhcv2/bhcarticles.nsf/pages/Botulism

I would steer clear of it.

Actually Australian honey is tested and does not contain the botulism spores.

"Infant botulism arises from ingestion of spores rather than pre-formed toxin. Sources of spores include foods such as honey and dust. Honey has been described in the US literature as a source of infection but never implicated in Australia and surveys of Australian honey have failed to identify C. botulinum." Victorian Government Health Information

So don't freak out so long as you check that the honey you buy is 100% Australian.

Honey helps with a sore throat and seeing as there is nothing else that you can give a bub to help sooth a sore throat that is why you can use honey water. I know when I make it for a sore throat I use 2 teaspoons of honey in a cup (250ml) of boiled (hot) water and lemon. If you are doing it for a bub leave the lemon out and let the honey water mix cool before giving it.

I MAKE UP A SMALL CAMPHOR BAG . JUST GO TO THE CHEMIST AND GET A BOX OF CAMPHOR , I THEN SEW UP SOME SMALL SQUARES (MATCHBOX SIZE) AND SAFETY PIN IT TO THE CHILDRENS SINGLETS. IT IS QUITE SAFE AND HELPS THEM CLEAR THEIR PASSAGEWAYS VERY QUICKLY. I HAVE BEEN A FOSTER CARER FOR OVER 30 BABIES & CHILDREN AND NEVER HAD A PROBLEM WITH MALFUNCTIONS. IF YOU ARE WORRIED MAYBE PIN IT ON THEIR PILLOW. THIS WORKS AND THE CHILDREN LOVE THE SMELL. THE WHOLE FAMILY WILL HAVE CLEAR PASSAGEWAYS IN NO TIME.

MY DOCTOR SUGGESTED A NASAL SPRAY CALLED ATROVENT THE WHOLE FAMILY CAN USE IT EVEN BABIES THIS CLEARS THE NASAL CANALS AND AS WELL GREAT IN CLEARING THEIR EARS. ITS NOT CHEAP THOUGH BUT WELL WORTH IT.
Sign in to follow this topic