Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Nappies

Learn More
The Huggies Forum is closed for new replies and topics, you can still read older topics.

Contipated bubba! Lock Rss

My 6.5 month old DS is so very constipated!

He hasn't done a proper poo in probably 4 days and he normally has a big sloppy one every morning without fail!

Now he is lucky to do one little nugget every morning and its very hard, and his bottom hole is very red and he strains for about 20 mins trying to get this nugget out!

I have recently changed his formula from S26 Gold Newborn to the S26 Gold Step 2 (6+ months) when he turned 6 months about 2 weeks ago.

He is also on one solid meal per day, but has been since he was 5 months and he has never been constipated before, so I'm thinking it might be the new formula..

Any ideas would be great!
You can try 1/2-1 teaspoon of brown sugar in 30mls of water 3-4 times a day, until he's done a proper poo and then just give him more water/fruit to keep him regular.
I'm in pretty much the same situation. I have a 5 1/2 week old (born 7 weeks prem) who has just gone onto formula feeds and seems to be constipated. With my other daughter I tried putting 'Coloxyl' (purchase from chemist - about $8 for 30mls) into her bottles and it seemed to work well as well as adding a little extra water to her bottles too.
Poor wee guy. Not sure where you are but here in NZ we can buy jars of puree 'apple & prune' or 'pear & kiwifruit' - all good for getting things moving! Avoid banana & rice cereal. Also give him more water. I would try the natural remedies before trying any laxatives or anything. Good luck!

Hey there - One word - PRUNES!!!!!! There is also a Novolac formula for constipation that I switched to which also helped.
you gotta try Infants friend. I swear by it. It is the cure for everything. I Just add it to ds's bottle as she needs it. If she hasn't gone for a day I give her a dose in her next few bottles then she is all good by the afternoon! Have a look at their website it is all natural

infants Friend

Step 2 formulas quite often cause constipation because of the change in the proteins. You have a few options, one is to wait it out as bubs gut adjusts, but if its been a couple weeks already that might not happen. Or you could try a different formula (non-gold version? or something like Nan?), or you could continue on with Step 1, just making sure bub is eating solids to get some extra iron (some MHN recommend this anyway). If you want to try the first option of waiting it out, some of the PP ideas are great regarding prunes and water and apples etc. to get things moving until he adjusts...
DS hadn't done a poo in more than 6 days.

I went to the chemist today and got him glycerol suppositories. It has to be administered in the rectum but within four hours he did FOUR very large poos!

This is if anything else doesn't work. DS is breastfed and wont take a bottle and I didn't really feel comfortable giving him any form of juice at this stage and extra water through a syringe just didn't work.

I went to the chemist today and got him glycerol suppositories. It has to be administered in the rectum but within four hours he did FOUR very large poos!

This is if anything else doesn't work. DS is breastfed and wont take a bottle and I didn't really feel comfortable giving him any form of juice at this stage and extra water through a syringe just didn't work.

breastfed babies can go a week without doing poos - but it doesn't necessarily mean they're constipated - they're just absorbing the milk really well. They're only actually constipated if they're pooping pebbles wink
My daughter had really bad constipation issues on s26, I started her on gold, and then switched to normal but just did not agree with her at all. I switched her to karicare and I kid u not, it cleared her up instantly, within a day she was pooing normal and a very happy bub!! Good luck Hun

breastfed babies can go a week without doing poos - but it doesn't necessarily mean they're constipated - they're just absorbing the milk really well. They're only actually constipated if they're pooping pebbles wink

I know this smile

He was pooping little pebbles and grunting, groaning and crying and trying to push something out. Believe me, the amount of waste he produced he was definitely constipated.

I've had to use the suppositories on my oldest when she was a few months old. Within 10 minutes she was back to normal. Last resort but it works!
Sign in to follow this topic