Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Nappies

Learn More
The Huggies Forum is closed for new replies and topics, you can still read older topics.

Eczema Lock Rss

Hi, hoping somebody can help me with my little one, he is now 4 months old with eczema.

My ds has been suffering with eczema all over his body, the worst being on his face. He has had this since 3 months old.
Anyway, I know steroid creams have side effects and we are doing the whole moisterise thing at every nappy change n after baths daily. Baths we use QV bath oil and a pure emolisifing cream which the chemist makes. This is the problem.....

My son flares up all over, has steroid cream for 3 days and it clears up completely. We continue with the moisturizer and bath oil for 2 days then he has another flare up and steroid cream for 3 days again and within 2 days flares up again. It always takes about 2 days without steroid cream fir him to flare up.
I have been doing this for a month now, is this harming him? When people say no long term use, is this classified as long term use?
pls help,
Thanks,
is he having a reaction to the cream or bathoil? my dd has eczema (mild) and it usually flares up in the colder months or if she is having a reaction to bath soap shampoo or moisturizer so might help to change to another one to see if that helps? i just use the derma cream (which also has steroids) prescribed by doctor and only use it when it flares up to clear it up, it always clears up so quick. we dont need to use it too often as we are careful with what we use on her skin. i think by long term use would mean say 2 days a week over a period of 6 months or more (just as an example) we use ours maybe 3-4 months out of the year and for a period of 2-3 days at a time. i hope this helps? good luck x
It's been awhile since I've had to use a steriod cream for DS but I thought you needed to continue this cream for like a week after symptoms had gone??? check with your doctor or chemist.
You might also like to try MooGoo - it's really wonderful stuff. Here's a link: Moo Goo

It's been awhile since I've had to use a steriod cream for DS but I thought you needed to continue this cream for like a week after symptoms had gone??? check with your doctor or chemist.
You might also like to try MooGoo - it's really wonderful stuff. Here's a link: Moo Goo

No, i think you're thinking of antifungals like canesten or daktozin. Steroid creams are symptom use only.

To the OP, maybe tamsmum has a point about the moisturizers? Perhaps you could try just using something really really basic like good quality olive oil in the bath and then rubbed into the skin, and see if that improves it? Then you can try different oils or creams to figure out what suits his skin (I always prefer natural to QV etc)
I agree with Previous posts!! But I would also look at the washing powder/liquid you use to wash his clothes!! My dd has eczema and I find that normal washing powder flares it up!! I use eco store brand and I find it fantastic!! I use a basic Aqueous Cream daily all over and I don't use any sort of soap/body wash on her! When her eczema gets quite bad I put Aveeno Soothing Bath Treatment, it has oatmeal in it which soothes irrated skin! Or you could use Pinetarsol to take the itch out of the eczema!

It has been alot of trial and error with finding what works best for her so I would keep trying different things to see what works for your son!!
Hey there is ALOT of bad press about steroidal creams out there thinning the skin etc - I just wanted to say that the dosages they give these days will give NONE of these side effects EVEN if used DAILY for years - you MIGHT notice a slight difference in the pigmentation - I have only just seen this with my DD and shes 4.5yrs old.

I would be careful with his diet (even if you are breastfeeding) cos he may have some mild allergies that would solve it or as a pp said - your laundry detergent may cause issues as well. that said - my DD has bad allergies which cause her eczema to flare up sometimes so badly we have to bandage her up like a mummy to stop infections and clear it up - even when we are careful with her diet she'd get it fairly badly but now she is slowly getting better, and I would also only bath him every other day cos the water will dry him out more - you can sponge bath him or even use olive oil on a cotton ball to clean him up a bit and hydrate his delicate skin.It really is all simply trial and error and takes quite some time and effort but once you work out the formula its EASY!

[img]

Hi everyone, thanks for the tips.

I am using amolin sensitive washing liquid for his clothes and have tried changing it to lux soap flakes but no difference so I changed back.
Thalia, I will be trying the olive oil in the bath tonight..good idea!
The QV bath oil actually helps his skin especially during flare ups, I find after a bath and moisteriser routine everyday his skin starts to clear up within the hour.....on the 3rd day his flare up appears overnight!
I also tried moo goo (eczema balm) and not much change...how often do I put moo goo on?
My doctor said she puts steriod cream 10 days on then 4 days off for her son who has eczema, so I'm thinking 3 days on and 2 days off can't be that harmful right??
Doc also said his skin could get addicted to it and need it all the time until the point where his skin won't respond to the steroid cream anymore. However she never said anything about thinning the skin. A www what to do??

Doc also said his skin could get addicted to it and need it all the time until the point where his skin won't respond to the steroid cream anymore. However she never said anything about thinning the skin. A www what to do??

Yes - its something you'll find on the internet (and in here people will tell you thats what it does) but the evidence has shown that is in ridiculously higher doses than what you can get in a cream. the thing is there are so many different types of cream if he does become immune to it you can always find another one... but I don't think you need to worry if you are getting the result that quickly. don't stress, if its giving him relief keep doing what you are doing - I'd probably try using it for one extra day and see if you can get a bit longer between flare ups. Also, with DD we were having to put her creams on up to 6 times a day until we found a wax based one which we needed to do 1 or 2 times a day or whenever she got itchy, because it was not medicated Id just let her put it on whenever she wanted...

[img]

Hey JackRube,
Ok sounds good I will try 4 days on and hopefully that will make flare ups better.
Can I ask, what wax based cream did you use for your dd and where can I get it from?

Thanks
You need to wean off steroid, once bubs is better use it every other day for awhile, or decrease the strength. What steroid are you using? If you are using a low strength steroid mix it half, half with moisteriser. I learned this the hard way when DD was in hospital with her excema
My DH has really bad eczema and so does my DD but she only flares up in the cooler months. We use David craig equarious cream which is $7.00(they also have a soap free wash)at any chemist and i bath my DD in oats (put them in a sock) and rub all over her my DH also does that if his gets really bad.

It really works!!!!!!! and the cream isnt too thick so her skin can breathe which i find most creams that have wax in them are too thick.
Hi,
Sunny days, I am using 1% sigmacort on his face and body so the lowest strength already. DS needs steroid cream on for 3 days straight sometimes only 2 days, but 2 days off and his face flares up pretty bad. His body can go without steroids for 3-4 days.

Today his got a flare up and is scratching all his face and legs till he bled on his thigh so I had to put on a wet dressing!
His now just started on steroid again after 2 days off on his face and 4 days off on his body. He is so unsettled and constantly crying unless I'm holding him and talking to him.
How can I wean him?

I've heard of the oats, I will try tomorrow. How much oats to put in the sock? do I fill up the sock?

I put some olive oil in his bath tonight - will see tomorrow if his skin is smooth.

Thanks
Sign in to follow this topic