Learn More
  1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Baby
  4. Baby's Health
  5. Baby's Opthamologist Appointment - a Question

Baby's Opthamologist Appointment - a Question Rss

Hi Guys

Hoping someone can help me. My DD (4.5months) had an appt this afternoon at a Paed Opthamologist, where they used drops to dialate her eyes.

The dr said she'd be a bit light sensitive afterwards, but we were inside for most of the afternoon so I didn't worry about it much.

Tonight I was changing her nappy under our very bright downlights when DH told me thought I could be damaging her eyes by having her under lights while her pupils were still dialated.

I feel terrible, I never even thought of it sad

Does anyone know if you can damage the eyes in this way while they're dialated?

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help!
I can't really answer your question but I can tell you what happened when I went to the opthamologist last week with my baby.

The doctor did the same - put some eye drops into dialate the pupils. We had to wait 15 mins for them to open up. He then shone a very bright light right into bubs eye. The doc didn't mention anything about light sensitivity afterwards.

So I would have thought that if the doc can shine a light directly into a baby's eye without causing damage, then your downlights are not going to do much. Also, I would have thought that the doc would have actually said that bright lights are dangerous, rather than your babby just being 'light sensitive'.

I am no doctor - these are only my thoughts and opinions. If you are really worried, perhaps give doc a call....
^^^ Thank you for your reply!

So you didn't change anything regarding lighting in your house or do anything different to normal?

Thats comforting.

Can I ask how long bubs eyes were dialated? M's eyes still are today.

I would call the Optho but she only works on Tuesdays - plus I'm an anxious mum and will definately come across that way.

Hi Guys

Hoping someone can help me. My DD (4.5months) had an appt this afternoon at a Paed Opthamologist, where they used drops to dialate her eyes.

The dr said she'd be a bit light sensitive afterwards, but we were inside for most of the afternoon so I didn't worry about it much.

Tonight I was changing her nappy under our very bright downlights when DH told me thought I could be damaging her eyes by having her under lights while her pupils were still dialated.

I feel terrible, I never even thought of it sad

Does anyone know if you can damage the eyes in this way while they're dialated?

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help!

The pupils are dilated , which means they are bigger than usual, therefore allowing more light in, which is why they are more light sensitive. I work with adults, and normally it would take about 3 hours on average to be back to normal, BUT there were exceptions to this rule.

I'm sure your bub would have just turned her head if the light was too much for her anyway.

Eve75

The pupils are dilated , which means they are bigger than usual, therefore allowing more light in, which is why they are more light sensitive. I work with adults, and normally it would take about 3 hours on average to be back to normal, BUT there were exceptions to this rule.

I'm sure your bub would have just turned her head if the light was too much for her anyway.

Thanks! This was about 3 hours after being dialated. She didnt seem upset or distressed at all by the lights, but her eyes were still dialated and hubbys comment scared me a bit.

^^^ Thank you for your reply!

So you didn't change anything regarding lighting in your house or do anything different to normal?

Thats comforting.

Can I ask how long bubs eyes were dialated? M's eyes still are today.

I would call the Optho but she only works on Tuesdays - plus I'm an anxious mum and will definately come across that way.

No I didn't do anything to my lighting at all. Sounds a bit bad but I have no idea how long my baby's eyes were dialated for!! My baby has very dark brown eyes so it was not really noticeable.
I think its more about the sun that is of concern rather than the indoor lights. Although my bub was slightly older, we were advised to wear sunglasses outside but that's it.
Thanks guys. Sucks to be an anxious mother sad I need to get on top of it so I can enjoy my baby instead of worrying!
I've worked for many Opthalmologists as an Orthoptist and dilated many babies eyes and I can tell you no damage has been done at all. It's annoying for anyone with dilated pupils to be in a bright setting but certainly not dangerous.

I've worked for many Opthalmologists as an Orthoptist and dilated many babies eyes and I can tell you no damage has been done at all. It's annoying for anyone with dilated pupils to be in a bright setting but certainly not dangerous.

Thank you so much. I really appreciate that! I can put my mind at rest.
Sign in to follow this topic