Be comfortable in your skin – this is a judgement free zone. Find out more!

Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Nappies

Learn More

Silent Reflux Rss

Hi guys,

I am an oldie who deleted my account a few years back. I do miss this joint but it took up way too much of my time. Wrong section i know but this used to the fast paced place for quick answers.

I just have a few quick questions regarding my 4th child who is 8 months old.

DD is think may have silent reflux possibly, i dont know! I didnt know anything about SILENT reflux until a friend suggested DD may have it and that what may be causing all these little problems.

Ill give you a little info and could some one please tell me if they think it sounds like silent reflux. I do have a dr appointment booked for monday also.

DD was a little bit of a spewer as a bubba and had colic that seemed too pass after about 3months old but then at around 4/5 months things seemed to get worse.

Does this sound like silent reflux?

*Terrible sleeper day and night.
*will cry a painful cry unless picked and held up right during the day.
*Is hungry but finds it hard to finish a feed, then will be hungry within the next 2 hrs.
*Constanly is sucking, whether it be dummie, tounge, hands ect
*will fall asleep pretty quick at nigh due to being exhausted, sleep for maybe 2 hours then becomes so unsettled and will only sleep in my arms with her body tilted upright.
*Coughs often in the night like somethings tickling her throat.

I have googled silent reflux but most of the information i can find is for babies younger and around the 8 month mark they seem to say the condition gets better, but dd seems to be getting worse.

Sory for rambling im sleep deprived and worried for my princess.
Any info would be great.

Hi guys,

I am an oldie who deleted my account a few years back. I do miss this joint but it took up way too much of my time. Wrong section i know but this used to the fast paced place for quick answers.

DD is think may have silent reflux possibly, i dont know! I didnt know anything about SILENT reflux until a friend suggested DD may have it and that what may be causing all these little problems.

Ill give you a little info and could some one please tell me if they think it sounds like silent reflux. I do have a dr appointment booked for monday also.

DD was a little bit of a spewer as a bubba and had colic that seemed too pass after about 3months old but then at around 4/5 months things seemed to get worse.

I never had a baby with silent reflux but my best friend did and I was the one who suggested to her that her DS might have it.

For him his main symptoms were:
- he would want a bottle but only feed for a couple if minutes before pulling away and crying and this process would go on and on until he finished the bottle or he gave up which would sometimes take an hour.
- he was very unsettled, wouldn't sleep well and would cry alot but was happier if he was upright
- Not gaining much weight because of him not wanting the bottle

I'm sure there were many more but I can remember now.

Is you DD formula fed? If so I would suggest giving the anti reflux formula a try, this coupled with Losec was a lifesaver for my best friend. But medication isn't always needed for another friend the change in formula was all that was needed.

Good luck!

*Is hungry but finds it hard to finish a feed, then will be hungry within the next 2 hrs.
*will fall asleep pretty quick at nigh due to being exhausted, sleep for maybe 2 hours then becomes so unsettled and will only sleep in my arms with her body tilted upright.

I have googled silent reflux but most of the information i can find is for babies younger and around the 8 month mark they seem to say the condition gets better, but dd seems to be getting worse.

Any info would be great.

Here so somehow my reply ended up in the middle of the quote, sorry!

Here so somehow my reply ended up in the middle of the quote, sorry!

Thank you, i managed too find your answer somewhere in there. smile
She is mixed feed breast and NAN 2H gold. I will pop too the chemist and have a look into reflux formulars.

Thanks again.
Have you considered a food allergy or intolerance? If it's gotten worse since she's been on solids it could be that. My son had reflux as a bub and he symptoms were similar to what you describe plus the chucking up. We found out at about 6 months that he has a lactose intolerance. Since cutting out all lactose he's been fine, but if I try to reintroduce a dairy food he's in trouble. Because it's an intolerance he's ok for a while until the food builds up in his system and then causes a problem. EG - can have yoghurt on Monday and Tuesday, but when he has it on Wednesday starts chucking up again and having little sleep etc. (So no yoghurt for him because it's obviously upsetting his little system all the time, just not showing it all the time.) Is there a food type that she has been eating more of recently as she gets older. Wheat and dairy are the ususal culprits, but it could be anything. The way to find out is to cut the suspect food out for about 2 weeks and then reintroduce it. When you reintroduce it is when you will see a reaction if there is one. Talk to your doctor about it. Good luck, horrible having a bub in pain and not being able to help.
both my kids had reflux, one with silent reflux the other was a big time chucker and screamer. although the symptoms you describe are bang on, it's been my experience that the signs were there from at least 4 weeks old but in my sons case at birth. my paed said reflux in any form usually shows itself that early so I'd be suprised that you only noticed it around 4/5 months. also most reflux if it is GERD is on the improve around 6-12 months often and in my kids case although they were both on meds from just weeks old they were both drug free by 6 and 12 months. good you have a docs appt. I'm no doctor though, just a mum who learnt through trial and error. neither of my kids have intolerances though but all the symptoms you described.

If you fancy a laugh, visit my blog which is basically a collection of observations and rantings about motherhood, people and the mundane. See www.callmepicky.blogspot.com.au

Sounds like reflux to me...I have had 2 reflux children!

In the meantime, have you changed the angle of the cot/pram/change table?

Make sure the head is higher than the feet, minimises flow of acid. Phone books are good for this.

Try to feed with child sitting up a little (ie more vertical than horizontal).

Try to burp as often as you can during feeding and keep bubs vertical after feeding for a few minutes.

Also have a chat to your pharmacist to get over the counter meds, this will save you hassle when you get to the GP as you can say how bubs was when on it...

Losec is fantastic (prescribed med only). A gp will only prescribe reflux meds to a certain point then you will have to see a paediatrician. Ask for the referral anyway as it can take a few weeks to get in...depending upon where you live.

A friend of mine works at a children's hospital, I am told that there is a paed dr in emergency of the royal childrens that will see babies with reflux and prescribe meds. Large numbers of parents take their child to emergency for reflux.

good luck!
www.reflux.org.au
Hi guys,

Any info would be great.
[/quote]

both my kids had reflux, one with silent reflux the other was a big time chucker and screamer. although the symptoms you describe are bang on, it's been my experience that the signs were there from at least 4 weeks old but in my sons case at birth. my paed said reflux in any form usually shows itself that early so I'd be suprised that you only noticed it around 4/5 months. also most reflux if it is GERD is on the improve around 6-12 months often and in my kids case although they were both on meds from just weeks old they were both drug free by 6 and 12 months. good you have a docs appt. I'm no doctor though, just a mum who learnt through trial and error. neither of my kids have intolerances though but all the symptoms you described.

Come too think about it, the signs have always been there. I think because we were told she had serve colic we just took that on board an maybe ashumed that was the only under lying problem.

My health nurse knows the problems i have been having with DD and never even mentioned silent reflux which i am really suprised by, after all the reading i have been doing its truly all her symptoms too a T! All she has suggested is... controlled crying which i cannot do!

Now i managed too get an appointment yesterday afternoon instead of monday, the doctor made me feel like an IDIOT too be honest. Agreed she had what sounded like silent reflux, her little throat is very very red also sad he heard the wet burp... that turned into hiccups ect ect.
BUT his conclusion was, well some babies do just cry! So he thinks ALL her problems are due too her SLEEP problems.. Umm maybe if she wasnt in such pain she would get a proper sleep! He doesnt think its reflux because she is not underweight, i asked well could that be beacause shes eating every 2 hrs?? answer was umm MAYBE. arghh.

He was no help at all. So i asked for a referal too see a ped which he actually asked me what for..

I asked is there anything you would recommend me trying at home.. Novolac formular ect ect.. the answer i recieved was.. If you want.

So after all that he wasnt the most helpful doctor and i was sitting in his surgery room on the verge of tears because he wasnt taking me seriously and made me FEEL like im a horrible mother who must be doing something wrong.

i feel like crap that i havent done anything sooner. My poor pumpkin is obviously been in so much pain. sad sad

Sounds like reflux to me...I have had 2 reflux children!

In the meantime, have you changed the angle of the cot/pram/change table?

Make sure the head is higher than the feet, minimises flow of acid. Phone books are good for this.

Try to feed with child sitting up a little (ie more vertical than horizontal).

Try to burp as often as you can during feeding and keep bubs vertical after feeding for a few minutes.

Also have a chat to your pharmacist to get over the counter meds, this will save you hassle when you get to the GP as you can say how bubs was when on it...

Losec is fantastic (prescribed med only). A gp will only prescribe reflux meds to a certain point then you will have to see a paediatrician. Ask for the referral anyway as it can take a few weeks to get in...depending upon where you live.

A friend of mine works at a children's hospital, I am told that there is a paed dr in emergency of the royal childrens that will see babies with reflux and prescribe meds. Large numbers of parents take their child to emergency for reflux.

good luck!

Thank you.

Elevated her bed last night and tried her on novolac reflux formular.
I think it already helped smile.
She still woke several times in the night but was not SCREAMING just kind on talking/ sooking, which was a first.
Only feed once in the night appoused too her 2 hourly feeding.
So i will see how she goes over the weekend, and try and find another doctor who will actually take me seriously this time.
Thanks for the help

Hi guys,

Any info would be great.

Your DD sounds exactly like my DS (8 weeks), he has just started Losec and it has helped heaps.

I believe that he had silent reflux and colic from around birth, but it was never that bad. Then DS needed to go on some meds and basically from the first day I gave him the meds he had all the same symptoms your DD is having.

Has your DD's diet changed, or has she been on any meds?

My GP said that children can have silent reflux until around 18 months sometimes, so it is definitely possible that your DD has it. I'm sure your GP will help!

Good luck!

Come too think about it, the signs have always been there. I think because we were told she had serve colic we just took that on board an maybe ashumed that was the only under lying problem.

My health nurse knows the problems i have been having with DD and never even mentioned silent reflux which i am really suprised by, after all the reading i have been doing its truly all her symptoms too a T! All she has suggested is... controlled crying which i cannot do!

Now i managed too get an appointment yesterday afternoon instead of monday, the doctor made me feel like an IDIOT too be honest. Agreed she had what sounded like silent reflux, her little throat is very very red also sad he heard the wet burp... that turned into hiccups ect ect.
BUT his conclusion was, well some babies do just cry! So he thinks ALL her problems are due too her SLEEP problems.. Umm maybe if she wasnt in such pain she would get a proper sleep! He doesnt think its reflux because she is not underweight, i asked well could that be beacause shes eating every 2 hrs?? answer was umm MAYBE. arghh.

He was no help at all. So i asked for a referal too see a ped which he actually asked me what for..

I asked is there anything you would recommend me trying at home.. Novolac formular ect ect.. the answer i recieved was.. If you want.

So after all that he wasnt the most helpful doctor and i was sitting in his surgery room on the verge of tears because he wasnt taking me seriously and made me FEEL like im a horrible mother who must be doing something wrong.

i feel like crap that i havent done anything sooner. My poor pumpkin is obviously been in so much pain. sad sad

What a jerk!!! He doesn't have to live with your DD in pain!!

My Gp is fantastic and she believes that reflux babies may feed so often because feeding soothes the reflux, as breast milk has a natural antacid. Although most babies don't put much weight on when they have reflux, if it is silent reflux and it doesn't actually come out of the mouth, why would the baby not put weight on? They are still feeding and quite often, but are just in constant pain.

I would definitely find a better GP for your DD if you can, it really makes a difference when you have a supportive GP!!

Hope the paed helps! You can also try infant gavison, it is for children up to 1 year I think, not very easy to give an newborn, but probably ok for an 8 month old!

Good luck!!!
Sign in to follow this topic