Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Nappies

Learn More
The Huggies Forum is closed for new replies and topics, you can still read older topics.
  1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Baby
  4. Baby's Health
  5. What temperature range is "normal? for a baby?

What temperature range is "normal? for a baby? Lock Rss

Too hot is 38.30C or higher.

I was told at the hospital that between 36.0oc and 37.3oc is normal, over that is a mild temp until 38oc then you may need to do something but depends on the age and situation of your bub

A 'normal temp' is about 36.3 - 37.5 celcius. Anything above 37.5 is a mild fever and can be treated with panadol (after 1 month old), anything above 38 is a concern and temps over 40 degrees should be treated very seriously. If you are able to lower a high temp with panadol, water and removing clothing then this is a positive sign, if temps go up or stay the same after these measures its best to take bub to see a Dr. That's just what my G.P. said in relation to temps and my boys...
Agree with other comments, just wanted to add that once panadol etc given, baby's temp should drop by 1 degree celcius within the hour. If it doesn't drop, seek help!
Hey,

Just to add its important to also ensure they stay warm over 36.0 preferably over 36.5

As previously said - up to 37.5 is ok for babies.

Hope this helps
Just wanted to add that while it's a concern if panadol/nurofen don't drop a temp, just because the temp responds to panadol isn't reassuring re the cause. So pay more attention to how your child seems to you when they have a fever rather than the temperature change. Even kids with meningitis who're really sick will often have a temp that responds to panadol, but they'll still be really sick iykwim.

Agree with everything else, newborns should be 36.5-37.4, 38 and above is a fever, although in an older child 38.5 is usually considered a high fever. And 40 or above is really high!

Hope that helps
Sign in to follow this topic