Learn More
  1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Baby
  4. Baby's Health
  5. How to keep my ds fluid intake up while he's unwell

How to keep my ds fluid intake up while he's unwell Lock Rss

Hi smile
I've been told it's best to keep my ds's fluid intake up while his body recovers from the seizures he had 2 days ago. He is still having fluctuating temperatures and is still quite unwell. We've been giving him panadol and sponge bathing him to try to help keep it down. The doctors said to keep his fluid intake up. He is breastfed but doesn't want water from a bottle at all. Í got some watermelon for him but would love some ideas on how to encorouge him to drink water and also any other advice that could help my ds.

I am scared of it happening again but at least I'll be better prepared. Thanks smile
Try water from a cup, a teaspoon, a dropper, a syringe etc. My baby is also breastfed and will drink water from a cup but not a bottle. My older DD was given cooled boiled water as a baby (to try and help her wind) and would only take it from a teaspoon!
Is he old enough to manage an iceblock? Or a drink with a straw? You could wrap the iceblock in muslin if he is little so that bits don't come off.
I hope he gets well soon, it is so hard when little ones are unwell.

Hi smile
I've been told it's best to keep my ds's fluid intake up while his body recovers from the seizures he had 2 days ago. He is still having fluctuating temperatures and is still quite unwell. We've been giving him panadol and sponge bathing him to try to help keep it down. The doctors said to keep his fluid intake up. He is breastfed but doesn't want water from a bottle at all. Í got some watermelon for him but would love some ideas on how to encorouge him to drink water and also any other advice that could help my ds.

I am scared of it happening again but at least I'll be better prepared. Thanks smile

my little boy loves to drink from a straw like a big boy or a pump bottle, it is a real novelity for him and he drinks heaps. Hopefully that might help.
Thanks Nodrog for replying.

I will try a cup and a spoon. He just had some yoghurt and he eats that of a spoon so hopefully I will have some luck.
Yeah I really hope he gets better soon though the doctors said he's at a high risk of having more seizures. They rang me a little while ago to check on him and said I need to make sure to keep his temperature down to give him the best chance of not having more seizures.
Try lemonade iceblocks, they gave DS one at the hospital A&E to bring down his temp. And as a PP said pump bottles are great cos they think they are being a big kid. I find if I pretend its mine, he wants it more, which means he drinks more.

I hope things get better for you and your family and your DS doesn't have any more seizures.

Hi smile

The rehydration icypoles from the chemist are great...HYDRALYTE they are called. The only things the kids and hubby were able to keep down due to a recent bout of gastro. Hubby said they were a lifesaver.

Eve75

Have tried those tommee tippee net things? I'm not sure what they are called? they are a little net bag with a plastic top that clips tightly shut and a little ring for bub to hold onto, so you can fill it with ice cubes or or even cubes of frozen apple juice and he's at no risk of choking.

I've had 2 of my children sick and taken them too emergency with both of them I was told- 1ml of clear fluid (water, gastrolyte, apple juice) per kg of weight in 30-45 minutes. So one visit ds#1 was 10kg, I was giving him via syrine 10mls of apple juice in that 30-45 min time frame. The other visit ds#2 was 14kg so I was giving him 14mls in that time frame.

You can also give panadol and nurofen, thats the only way I can keep ds#1's temp down he's 6 now and I stil have to keep him well dosed up when he's sick.
Hey, havnt read other replies but you could try some iceblocks? I make them with pureed fruit and a little water. The watermelon ones are her fave! I just wrap an old face washer at the bottum and put a hair tie around so her lil fingers don't freeze. Or try water in a cup... Goodluck, I really hope he gets better soon. smile
Hey,

You can give nurofen as well as panadol. This is really more effective at keeping a temp down and is what we do when kids are admitted to hospital.

I looked after my dd who was really really sick the other day at home as you can basically do the same for them at home as what they do in hossie.

Give the nurofen a couple hours after you've given the panadol to get the best coverage.

I give her water in a syringe when she is unable to drink enough herself.

Just offer extra breastfeeds. The added bonus is that he's probably wanting extra comfort/cuddles from you atm anyway.
Thankyou so much everyone for all your replys some really good ideas that I'm sure will help smile
Ruby Gloom He is having heaps more breastfeeds as he's gone off his food a little bit and thats one thing the hospital did say was that it's good he's still breastfed as that will help his immune system try to fight this viral infection.

Chalys+1 Thanks for the tip about Nurofen as well as panadol I didn't realise Nurofen was good for temperatures too.

Last night he had no temperature which is great news but this morning he woke up with one sad
i hope he is ok today and his temp goes away nothing better than BF's to keep up his intake
Sign in to follow this topic