Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate

Learn More
  1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Baby
  4. Baby's Health
  5. Labial fusion surgery

Labial fusion surgery Lock Rss

Hi everyone,

My little girl has to have surgery because she has a full labial fusion and the reception lady told me it will be done then and there with no pain relief or anything but I don’t agree I think it will hurt too much.

Has anyone else girl had the same thing? How was it done etc...

My DD2 (3.5yrs old) has the same thing but my obs told me not to go with the surgery as it's not required?

Basically at her 6 week check up it was found that she had the fusion and once we used an oestrogen based cream, it opened up on it's own. Unfortunately it re-fused by the time she was 18 months which is also common.

My GP then told us to wait and see what happened as usually by the time girls hit puberty it will open up on its own. We haven't had any issues with DD2's fusion - fully TT at 2ish yrs old, no infections, etc so we are happy to wait and watch for the time being.

How old is your DD? Maybe you could try the cream for the timebeing unless there are other complications with her fusion?

She is 10 months. On her 6 month check up the nurse noticed it and said if it had not opened by 12 months she will need to have surgery when we went to the doctor a few weeks ago I mentioned it and she had a look and said it had partly closed and gave me cream to see if it help to open it well when I went back after a week of using it and it had fully closed and she referred me to the surgeon and said that it was better if she had it done now rather than later. She didn’t really give me an option...
Sounds a bit over the top to me, but it's totally your decision.

My DD's isn't a complete fusion, it's about 3/4 fused so maybe that would cause a big difference in opinions.

I've done a lot of research since DD2 was diagnosed and most cases I've read about, they either opened up on their own by the age of 3 and if not then, the majority were around the time of puberty when there is a huge increase in oestrogen.

If you're not happy with the surgery option, maybe get a 2nd opinion?

I would hate for her to have to have the surgery when she goes through puberty, If she just gets it done now she wont have to deal with it when she gets older... I just want to know how they do it at this age.

I would hate for her to have to have the surgery when she goes through puberty, If she just gets it done now she wont have to deal with it when she gets older... I just want to know how they do it at this age.

From everything I have read though it is unlikely she will need it, and that the best treatment option is to NOT do anything. With the cream everything I have read says it takes 1-3 MONTHS to 'work'...not a week.

I haven't personally experienced this as I have boys, but do have friends whose girls have had it and they are fine. Personally I would be taking the 'wait and see' approach and/or getting another opinion.

Have you seen this? (clink on purple text)

In terms of what the surgery involves, it appears to involve manual separation of the fused parts and I have read there are two options on how to accomplish this:

1) GP surgery with local anaesthetic and pain relief
2)surgery under a general anaesthetic with supportive pain management afterwards

If your GP is refusing to use anaesthetic and/or pain relief then I would certainly not consent to doing it in their office, and if you are looking at general anaesthetic then you have to weigh up the increased risks of that vs the 'benefit' of the surgery.

Her's was half closed when started the cream and during that week- 2 weeks of using the cream it has fully closed there is nothing there anymore.

Her's was half closed when started the cream and during that week- 2 weeks of using the cream it has fully closed there is nothing there anymore.

From what I understand that's 'normal' though. I know with my friends girls that they were fused one day, not a couple weeks later, and then they'd look again a few weeks afterwards and they'd be fused again.

She's your daughter and you have to do what you feel is best for her. I'm just saying what I would do in your situation based on what I understand about the condition but I'm not having to live your life. IMO it never hurts to get another opinion on something if you aren't sure. As an example in a similar vein; our GP thought one of our boys had a phimosis (which is a common term for tight foreskin). I for one wasn't entirely convinced but had wondered on it myself. Because he was unsure he referred us to a paediatric Urologist who looked him over, did an ultrasound on his plumbing and told us to just leave him alone. Now the usual treatment for phimosis is circumcision, but he also told us that even IF he had phimosis and it didn't resolve itself, that there were many treatment options to explore before that. So in our case getting another set of eyes on the issue was beneficial in that we learned something that we might not otherwise had known.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

Thanks for your advice, I will talk to the podiatric surgeon obviously before she gets the surgery done and I will ask if there is a chance it will open on its own. I will just use him as a second opinion. But I would hate for it not to open on its own and her have to get the surgery later in life...
From a fact sheet from the Royal Children's Hospital, Melbourne:

The join (or fusion) usually separates naturally by the time the girl has her first period. This happens slowly. There is no pain - the girl will not notice it happening. Medical treatment, massage or cream is not usually needed.

Medical treatment to pull apart the labia is not recommended, as there is a high risk that the adhesion or fusion will return. It can also be painful and traumatic for the girl. The procedure can be painful and the girl can grow up worrying that there is something wrong with her. Leaving it alone is the safest and most effective treatment.

What to expect
Very occasionally a girl may get a ‘urinary tract infection’ (UTI). This is not common and can usually be treated simply and effectively. If there is even a very small opening (1 millimetre or more) there is enough space for the urine to drain.

There is no relationship at all between labial fusion and any other medical conditions. Labial fusion does not have any effect on fertility. As a woman, the girl will be able to have sex and be able to have children the same as usual.

A GP/family doctor can normally diagnose this condition. There is no need to see a specialist. As long as the fusion is not causing a problem it can be left alone until it disappears.

Key points to remember
Labial fusion is common
It does not usually cause any other symptoms
It is not related to other problems
The fusion will normally separate naturally by the time a girl has her first period
The safest, most effective and least stressful thing to do is NO TREATMENT
That's pretty much what my GP told me as well.

Hence, why we're waiting and just checking how the fusion is going, from time to time.


Hi, my now 4 (nearly 5 yr old) daughter has labial adhesion. I found it when she was around 8 months old (she's still sometimes fused). She was referred to the royal childrens hospital brisbane, and the treating specialists said that he has stopped with surgical interventions years ago as they usually re-fuse together. He did however mention if it interfered with her urination to bring her back immediately without referral.

We've had a few issues with it, it has opened and closed on so many occassions. We've ended up in the Emergency department a handful of times as she would scream in pain. One of the times we went to the hospital they said to place Lidocaine/Xylocaine on it, so it would numb it when it was opening, as when it was opening, when she urinated it would hurt. The thing is, the lidocaine stings when first applied, so not really much help to her. She began holding her urine.

About 8 months ago it split open again and she was in agony and would scream when walking, she held on to her urine, I tried everything we were told, like place her in luke warm water and encourage her to pee, but nothing. She went 25 hrs with no urination, and with a hard tummy we took her into the ER. They checked her bladder and sure enough it was too full.

Anyway with lots of screaming and tears, they cathertered her at 29 hrs of absent urination, and referred us back to the childrens hospital, we were seen within a week, and they did offer to use an ear bud and some lidocaine and open it there and then, but said it will just heal back up, so we opted not to. My husband asked if we could put vasaline to stop the sting and stop it from fusing back up (as his mum used it on his lil sister with her labial adhesion 27yrs ago), and they said that is actually the best solution to stop the sting and to stop it closing back up, they said 2 months would be enough, but with the pain she was in I didn't want it fusing back up, I do it daily and they said it's fine to do it daily. It's now a daily routine.

So every day now at bed time, I soften some vasaline with an ear bud and distract her with makeup and I place it on (with the soft ear bud, I don't use my fingers), to this day (touch wood) she's had no discomfort/pain or absent urination. And vasaline is absolutely safe to place on that area. I do remind her often if she needs some vasaline during the day to let mummy know. I'm 34 weeks pregnant with baby girl number 2 and will be applying vasaline as labial adhesion runs in the hubbies family.

Also we were told to remind her to pat when she wees, not to wipe and when it's sensitive to use wet wipes. We also found using full cotton undies, and only bathing with baby bath to help not irritate, as bubble bath can be harsh on that area. And we also use sensitive laundry liquid on all her clothes and never switch toilet paper or laundry liquids as these can cause it to flare up. When she was in nappies we were told to stick to one brand of nappies (we used huggies as we found it wicked better) and have as much nappy free time as possible.

She was initially given celestone to place on it, as it has a high success rate of opening up labial adhesion, but it doesn't guarantee it will stay open. We don't use it. We have stuck to the vasaline. I'm available on [email protected] if you'd like any more info. I hope your little one finds a solution soon.
Sign in to follow this topic