Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Nappies

Learn More

constpated Lock Rss

Hi, my 11 month old has been constipate ever since starting solids...really worried his been to the docs 15 times already and finally a referal to a peaditrician but can't get in for ages. He has the best diet. Brekky porridge, prunes, pear juice diluted. Wholemeal toast. Lunch fruit and youghurt water dinner chicken and veg...we. have been so strict with his diet. He drinks a lot of water he is on paffachock everyday and on average needs. 1 suppository a week...its breaking my heart seeing him in agony. Has anyone been I. This situation and what were the causes I'm worried sick.
Hi, our Paed suggested Lactulose which you can buy from the chemist- worked well for our little one
Un

Hi, our Paed suggested Lactulose which you can buy from the chemist- worked well for our little one

Unfortunatly we have already tried it even tried movicol
We had alot of constipation issues with DD2 from when she started solids til 12 months. Its horrible to see them so uncomfortable isnt it.

Firstly, we stopped feeding her things like bread, apples, bananas, meat, anything that COULD be constipating her (she was 7-8 months old at the time so there wasnt a great deal to eliminate). She had pears & prunes for 2 meals a day & veg for the other meal. We did that for 2 weeks. During that time we gave her coloxyl, and lactulose. I told our GP neither of them were working, but she instructed us to up the dose of lactulose. 5ml was the max dosage on the label, and she told us to go up to 15 ml. We did, and it worked. Then we had to very slowly wean her off them which took about 2 months.

Basically we had to combine different methods for anything to work, but eventually she could poop on her own smile

Good luck! Hope something works for him soon!
Could I suggest trying to remove all wheat & gluten from his diet??? Just for a little bit to see how he goes
Dd isn't this bad but is getting to it. She screams and cries when she poops. I got coloxyl yesterday as natural remedies like prunes and things weren't helping. Can't get into doc till 1 march which is actually my antenatal appointment but if I have to take dd along to that to see a doc I will. It breaks my heart seeing her in pain everytime she poos.

One grandparent suggested porridge for breakfast but that just made it worse.

So your not alone!! Good luck!

OOOHHH... INTERNET FIGHT. WHAT ARE YOU GONNA DO? CAPS LOCK ME TOO DEATH?
(Noddy's not fat ffs!)

Dd isn't this bad but is getting to it. She screams and cries when she poops. I got coloxyl yesterday as natural remedies like prunes and things weren't helping. Can't get into doc till 1 march which is actually my antenatal appointment but if I have to take dd along to that to see a doc I will. It breaks my heart seeing her in pain everytime she poos.

One grandparent suggested porridge for breakfast but that just made it worse.

So your not alone!! Good luck!

Thanks. We have tried everything. Highly recommend parrachoc. He started in 2 days ago. And yesterday was the first day he went with no troubles, I was so happy I near cried. Our doc is fantastic and she said why waiting for peads appointment to use as many suppositories he requires as its better than most laxative as its only being absorbed down there and to stop straining otherwise he will purposly hold on.

Could I suggest trying to remove all wheat & gluten from his diet??? Just for a little bit to see how he goes

Thank-you, but we have tried: ( at one point he was having only sweetpotato.. its so frusterating.

Thank-you, but we have tried: ( at one point he was having only sweetpotato.. its so frusterating.

Oh you poor thing!!! GBHs to you!!! I understand what you are going through... I had massive tummy problems when I was growing up & had similar problems to your DS!!! Its stressful for all involved, I really hope you get an answer soon!! smile
Know exactly how you feel Melly, mine has never been free of bowel problems and she's 8 now. (She used to be called Melly, but for the wrong reasons!)

Lactose intolerance - has she been tested for that?

Got no tips other than keep doing what you do now, food wise and medicine wise.

Hi, my 11 month old has been constipate ever since starting solids...really worried his been to the docs 15 times already and finally a referal to a peaditrician but can't get in for ages. He has the best diet. Brekky porridge, prunes, pear juice diluted. Wholemeal toast. Lunch fruit and youghurt water dinner chicken and veg...we. have been so strict with his diet. He drinks a lot of water he is on paffachock everyday and on average needs. 1 suppository a week...its breaking my heart seeing him in agony. Has anyone been I. This situation and what were the causes I'm worried sick.

poor little thing. sad
Have you increased the parachoc? Its meant to make it so slippery that they can't hold on. He shouldn't need the suppository if the parachoc is working, but you need to keep increasing the dose until it works.
Maybe he just isn't ready for that much solids yet. Also cows milk can cause it too. Hope he improves soon!
Sign in to follow this topic