Learn More
  1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Baby
  4. Baby's Health
  5. constipated newborn???

constipated newborn??? Lock Rss

hi,
im a first time mum to my 4 day old baby girl and i am formula feeding her with heinz nurture gold

from the get go she has fed really well and not had a problem with wet or pooey nappies.
we came home from hospital yesterday afternoon and she is still feeding well, she will mostly down a full 50ml bottle, and sometimes look like she wants more. we were told not to let her have more than 50ml in one sitting cos it will give her a belly ache.

my husbamd and i are a little concerned though because while shes not having a problem with wet nappies, she now hasnt done a poo for 24 hours

can this be normal while their little bodies adjust?
or if this sounds like constipation can anyone help with advice on what i can do to help her along as she is getting increasingly unsettled and we think this has something to do with it sad

any advice greatly appreciated~ thankyou
i know its perfectly normal for bf babies to go 10-14days without a poo but not sure about formula... but if bubs not in pain and is still wetting nappys a few days wont hurt smile but if bubs unsettled it may be something else 24hrs without a poo shouldnt make them uncomfotable... could it be wind?

at 4days old their little systems are still figureing things out so there wont be any regular pattern for a little while they seem to poo constantly for the first few days then it slows down a bit.

dont worry yourself xxx your doing a great job
Hi

I formula feed my little one. If your baby strains then cries afterwards, or if her poo is hard and pellet like then it is constipation. My 4 week old can go 24 hours without doing a poo, I have been advised by the midwives and child health nurses here (I'm in Qld) that bub can have a little cooled boiled water that seems to help too
Hi and congrats on your baby.
I use/d heinz nurture (not gold) for my 2 children after I stopped BF and was told to add an extra 10mils of water to it as it makes it easier to process. My DS got constipated at 3mths but after adding this extra 10mils (and treating the constipation) he hardly had constipation. I've started my DD on formula now and have added the extra water and have had no issues so far.
Hope this helps.
Hi,

Increasing water is definitely the best option long term, but, I was told to try mix 1/2 teaspoon of brown sugar in 30 ml of warm water if they are getting pebbles in their nappies, or its been two-three days. The other option is getting some coloxil from the chemist, but it is not good to give that to them all of the time. Its only for when its been 5 days or something like that (for formula fed bubs). I was also advised to give my son a warm bath & afterwards gently rub his tummy (use some massage oil) to gently massage him, & to lie him on his back & try make his legs go like they are on a bicycle. The movement of the body can help move everything inside.

Good luck with it!
My little one use to struggle a bit as well but I have found that giving her a little water before her bottle really helps. I just wouldn't give her so much that she fills up on water.

Also the community nurse told me that babies on Gold label forumla are more prone to cause constipation due to the added iron. If the problem continues you could consider a non gold product. But the nurse did say not to change forumlas to much because it takes bubs a week or so to adjust to the new product.

hi,
im a first time mum to my 4 day old baby girl and i am formula feeding her with heinz nurture gold

from the get go she has fed really well and not had a problem with wet or pooey nappies.
we came home from hospital yesterday afternoon and she is still feeding well, she will mostly down a full 50ml bottle, and sometimes look like she wants more. we were told not to let her have more than 50ml in one sitting cos it will give her a belly ache.

my husbamd and i are a little concerned though because while shes not having a problem with wet nappies, she now hasnt done a poo for 24 hours

can this be normal while their little bodies adjust?
or if this sounds like constipation can anyone help with advice on what i can do to help her along as she is getting increasingly unsettled and we think this has something to do with it sad

any advice greatly appreciated~ thankyou

Hi

Congratulations on your new baby girl smile It can be normal while their little bodies adjust. If your baby is constipated then when she does poo it will be like hard little pellets as opposed to what it should be like which is toothpaste consistency.

I would give her a bit more time, if when she poos its hard and little pellets and this continues for a few days then I would consider switching to a regular formula. Gold formulas have a higher iron content and do cause constipation in alot of babies. Gold does not equate to better when it comes to formulas, regular is just as good and easier on their systems to process.

My firstborn was terribly constipated on a gold formula, when we switched to a regular one she was fine.

I would not be giving a newborn mixtures of brown sugar at 4 days old, a little extra water (ie 10mls once a day) should be enough, if not then 20mls.

Also regarding her intake, if your bub can down 50mls and be looking for more then you should feed her more. Maybe 60-80mls is right for her, what is on the tin is just a guide and the important thing is you feed her according to her appetite. Seems odd advice not to allow more than 50mls as it will give her a belly ache. I formula fed two babies and never heard this and 60mls was the first volume of bottles I ever made up. The volume they take will vary from feed to feed, if your bub can routinely finish a 50ml bottle then its time to go up to the next level - there will be some wasteage but that's the nature of formula feeding, better to have more in the bottle than less. No baby drinks the exact same amount at every feed.
thankyou everyone for your well wishes and advice smile
we have started the 'leg movement' like shes riding a bycicle every so often and were also going to try adding a little extra water to her formula mix and see how she goes

weve been recording her feeds and so far today the last five in a row shes had 50mls and majority could have easily had more! so were gonna up the feed amount in her bottle and let her tell us how much she needs smile

thanks again for all the great advice smile
please vote for my baby girl will do any voting in return
http://babysearch.bo...try/8088/leah-g
Sign in to follow this topic