Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Nappies

Learn More
The Huggies Forum is closed for new replies and topics, you can still read older topics.
  1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Baby
  4. Baby's Health
  5. nasal congestion from reflux

nasal congestion from reflux Lock Rss

Has anyone experienced nasal congestion caused by reflux? My 9 week old suffers silent reflux and gets extremely congested at night from about 12am-6am only. He sounds like he chokes and struggles to breathe. Is there anything that i can do to help him?
Newborns often sound congested even while perfectly healthy, they unlike us can't clear they're own mucus,I wouldn't worry too much about it. But you can infant dimetapp or Fess from the chemist which comes with an aspirator (booger sucker lol) I would recommend trying one of these, my 2 & a half month old sounds congested a lot, particularly after feeding, and I've used infant dimetapp (nasal drops) which are safe from birth and the aspirator (he hates it but it clears his nose up) just ask at your pharmacy and maybe give one of these a go. It should help him.

Thanks south coast chick! You need to come live with me and be my in house advice friend! Haha ill speak to my doctor tomorrow and ill try that! Its getting worse the congestion and i end up in the theatre holding him upright while i try get a cat nap in during the night!
Lol the joys of motherhood! It gets easier tho. smile

Acid reflux and congestion in infants often happen together. Both causes discomfort and problems with nursing and general health. A stuffy nose, sinusitis, nasal congestion and a number of other problems can be due to condition called GERD. So if your baby is suffering with reflux, he may also suffer with related issues.

Make sure you are not over feeding your baby; overfeeding also can cause reflux. If you are giving formula food to your baby, then thickened the formula; it stays down in baby stomach. Still the situation is worse than start medication after consulting with doctor.

There is quite possible that your baby is suffering with nasal congestion at night because of reflux. If your baby is overfeed then he may be vomit that and it will go up into his nasal passages. Reflux may show in various ways, it presents different symptoms, is often misdiagnosed as colic. But only reflux is not the only cause for nasal congestion. Viral infections such as the common cold are common among children, and infants are susceptible as well since their immune system is not mature enough to fight with. So it’s better to understand the root cause for the congestion and start treatment accordingly.
Sign in to follow this topic