Nappies

Learn More
  1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Baby
  4. Baby's Health
  5. sleepless nights & honey

sleepless nights & honey Lock Rss

Hey guys ever since my daughter was born she has been a very nosey & up all the time baby. She has never slept a whole night & im lucky if i get 4hours sleep, anyway i have put honey on her dummy since she was about a month old (i know its not right but it was the only thing tht would work & alot of people said its okay) i am just wondering could this be the cause of sleepless nights? Shes always been a full on baby never really sleeps at all. She eats well &is all healthy. Just want some advice from other mums & im hoping im not the only one that has done this
Hiya, nah I wouldn't think it's the honey affecting her sleep. How old is she and what's her day time routine? Like how long to you keep her up between naps etc and what time does she go to bed at night? Sometimes they sleep worse when they are overtired so if she doesn't nap well during the day it can lead to unsettled nights.

However, I would stop giving her honey if she is less than 1 year old. This is because honey can contain spores of bacteria that can cause botulism (even pasteurised honey). These bacteria are harmless to adults and children over around 1 year old. But it can make babies, whose digestive and immune systems are less developed, seriously (and possibly fatally) sick.

It's also really bad for their teeth! So best to nip that habit in the bud before she gets too many teeth.

Maybe you could do some gentle sleep training to help her get a better nights sleep. The verbal reassurance method is pretty good.

All the best!!

Yeah I'd definitely stop putting honey on her dummy. It can be quite harmful to infants under 1 year old. The bacteria in it can be potentially deadly. If you really can't go without somthing like honey on the dummy try a little bit of jam, I know that's bad too due to the sugar content but at least it's safer than honey.
If you have a look on the Internet you can actually buy some products that are supposed to help baby sleep at night. Just have a google n you'll find some. Not sure if they work but it might be worth a try.
Good luck. A sleepless baby is never fun. But just bear in mind that all babies have different sleep patterns, my 6 month old isnt great, but could be worse.

No, I haven’t come across any such case where honey can disturb infant sleep schedule. However it’s certainly not a good thing to continue, not at least till she completes one year. Few babies are born with natural insomnia, I guess. Adults have been conditioned to stay awake during the day and sleep at night, but a new baby has no concept of day and night. Between three and six months, most babies will begin to sleep through the night. It may not be a consistent thing at first, but don’t lose your patience if your child cannot develop regular sleeping habits immediately. There is no magic trick for it.

Sign in to follow this topic