Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Nappies

Learn More

not taking bottle Lock Rss

my 4 1/2 mth old bub won't take a bottle of expressed milk . i have tryed her with different types of teats but she still won't take them. does anyone know if a cup will be any good. does anyone have any suggestions???
Heather

The only suggestion that I have is the teat, that you are using. Have you tried the pigeon perilstatic (not sure of spelling) teat. My daughter went from breast to bottle with that teat with no problems. The only other suggestions is go to the Breast & Bottle Feeding section, there is a message about bubs not taking bottle. There may be a few suggestions there that could help you.

Julie, mum to Abby 05/02/04 & Joel 12/04/07

Hi Heather,

When Luke was 2 1/2 months I had to put him on the bottle and tried to give him expressed milk but wouldn't take it but he would take formula. Go figure.

I think when there ready to stop the breast they go off the milk all together....

Cheers
Jo
Hi,
The problems we have with bubs are endless arent they?My son has decided also he hates the bottle and he struggles with it each time for a feed.You have to shop around and try different bottles,teats and also what the flow of the milk is like.What sort of teats are you using?Fast,Medium or slow?
Im currently using Nuk which seems to be okay but other ones I have tried he just flatly refuses.Also there are teats out there too like Advent which are shaped like the breast to encourage bubs to drink.Good luck!

KL,NSW,son born 22/3/04

Heather,
I had the same problem with my baby boy. he is now 4months and i went throughall bottles,but it's true you need to shop around for a different teat, every baby is different but i found that nuk brand excellent. give it a try good luck

mine was the same wouldnt even take a dummy
gagged when a bottle or anything other than breast was put in her month then a month ago i tried pigeon peristaltic it worked y shape 3month old but u need wide neck bottle approx 13.95 with teat

gail SA 4 girls 17months apart 1 set twins

Hi Heather - I have a 6 month old and have also never been successful with her going to a bottle with expressed milk. However, I have started giving her water in a bottle to have with her solids and she is seeming to have this ok - will suck for a little bit then just play with it!! I'm ok with that, she is learning what she needs to do with it! I have given up with milk in a bottle, though, as it seems counter-productive when she gets upset if I persist. I have read that sometimes if you get someone else to feed her the bottle of milk while you are in another room that this can help. Also, I have been told that some babies will never drink from a bottle and will go straight from breast to cup and this is quite normal and ok. So, I think if you can find a soft-lipped cup you could probably try that. One of the child helplines may be able to help with a specific brand of a good one. I have also just started my baby getting used to a beaker cup. It can sometimes take a little while for them to get used to but she will eventually get it! All the best.
Sign in to follow this topic