Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Nappies

Learn More
The Huggies Forum is closed for new replies and topics, you can still read older topics.

first cold??? Lock Rss

hi all i think my DS has his first cold sad
his nose is blocked, hes not drinking his milk much, hes grizzly, his eyes are watering, he sounds chesty..... all the typical symptoms. our routine has gone out the door, and we were both up all night.
i feel so sorry for my lil man, and was wondering if anyone has any suggestions on what i can do to make it more comfortable for him? i dont really want to give him medicine until i try all the natural stuff first (if none of that works, i wont hesitate to give him medicine)
what has worked for you?

Tania. WA, Daniel - 26/01/06... smile

I use a vaporiser when DD is sick. I even find it clears my own sinus as I sit in her room with it on when feeding her. Other than that, I have used Dimetapp when DD has been particularly sick. Its not a natural remedy, but if alternative methods don't get results, worth keeping in mind.

I hope your bub gets better soon. DD was 10 months the first time she got sick, it was really quite stressful for me. Its really hard seeing them crook and not being able to do much about it.

DD is 3yr 8 months - DS is 6 months

Hiya

We are just coming to the end of a cold which left my DD very stuffed up. We used saline nose drops (you can get these from the chemist) to help clear her nose before feeding and put a drop of Olbas Oil (eucalyptus and stuff) on a tissue and put in under her top blanket layer at night to help her breathe. That seemed to work quite well. you can also get vapourisers that let off steam for their rooms that you can put drops of eucalyptus in also. Mimmy suggested to me to take DD in her highchair into the bathroom while I showered so she can breathe the steam which I though was a great idea. If he is feeling a bit feverish give him some paracetamol - we also gave this only at bedtime in the hope it would help her sleep.

Watch out for infection, if the mucous from the nose or chest becomes discoloured (yellow or green - sorry grosse I know) rather than clear that is a sign of a bacterial infection and he may need antibiotics. Also they can be a bit prone to eye infections as the rub their nose and then their eye rather regularly (ick!!) so that would require a trip to the doctor. You can tell an eye infection by them waking with sticky yucky stuff on their eye. (you can tell i used to work in a pharmacy)

Obviously if you have any concerns at all take him to the doc.

Wishing you all a speedy recovery - we are nearly there

Leanne, NZ, Ella age 2 & Sam age 6months

Sign in to follow this topic