Nappies

Learn More
  1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Baby
  4. Baby's Health
  5. Chicken Pox vaccine

Chicken Pox vaccine Rss

Has anyone given their child the vaccine for Chicken Pox? I remember having it as a child and would have preferred not to! I don't think it is on the schedule though so I would have to pay for it? My son is having his first pneumococcal vaccine next week and I was just wanting to ask others before I asked my doctor.
Naomi

My babies are all grown up sad

out of curiosity here, why would you have preferred not to when you were a child?...was it painful?...I am just curious because I don't really remember any vaccinations I received, 'cept for lining up for the rubella vaccinations at school,

the chicken pox vaccine is optional, so we do have to pay for it, if we decide to get it,

Cheers
Heléna

Liam Evan, 2

Sorry, I meant I would have preferred not to have got the chicken pox! (maybe I didn't explain myself clearly!). All the itching and those baths of pinetarsol......
I also remember the rubella 'production line'!!

lol!, yes I remember the chicken pox!, too 'cept I got it when I was 21, it was horrible,
and when they checked me, when I was pregnant with Liam, can you believe that I have no immunity!, from having chicken pox the first time...sad so I can just get it again, all from scratch!...<sigh>

Cheers
Heléna

Liam Evan, 2

Oh No! You poor thing! My mum also told me I didn't get them very bad (it was bad enough if you ask me!) so I could probably get them again. I think I would prefer it if Lochie had the vaccination as not only will it stop chicken pox but shingles later in life. My sisters partner has just had shingles and it was awful. It ate his flesh away and he has huge scars on his legs and he was so uncomfortable. Also, if boys get chicken pox later in life I believe it can make them infertile. I will definately be checking with the doctor next week.
Thanks Helena,
Naomi

Hi,

My eldest daughter had the vaccine at 12 months - it wasn't on the schedule so we had to pay for it (about $60-$70). I've since been told by the child health nurse that it is recommended that they have it about 18 months if they are going to have it, so this is what I am planning for my youngest. The problem we ran into with having it at 12 months is that it has to be done at the same time or one month apart from the MMR (I think it was anyway - something to do with live vaccines or something). We did the chickenpox by itself and then had to wait until my daughter was 13 months before she could have the usual 12 month vaccines (The doctor didn't know this - I found it on the product information leaflet that came with the vaccine). On my youngest's schedule there are already 4 vaccines at 12 months - so we definitely will not be doing a 5th at the time.

mum to 2 girls

I also had my eldest child vaccinated at 12mths, well 13mths, because of the gap you have to leave, as mum2girls explained. And I will definately be giving it to my youngest boy, who has just had his first dose of the pneumococcal vaccine. The price of it doesn't worry me as it is my childs health I am more concerned about. I would rather have a happy child then a miserable unwell child who may not be able to tell you exactly what hurts where, or in this case what itches.

Thomas (10/12/01), Kane (22/06/04)

Thanks for your reply mum2girls and budmax. Lochie has an appointment next week for his first pneumococcal vaccine so I will check with the doctor. He had his 12 month vaccs (Hib,MMR & meningococcal C) last week so it looks like it won't be done next week. Will see if I can do it with the second pneumococcal two months later. I agree, I would prefer to pay for it too. Who knows, I may even be able to claim it through my private health fund.

Depending on your private health coverage, you can claim so much back. Just don't forget to ask the pharmacist for a receipt.

Thomas (10/12/01), Kane (22/06/04)

I had all 3 of mine done, the last 2 i had vaccinated against chicken pox at the same time as their 12 months injections, and no adverse side affects. smile

Sharon, 24, Qld, 2 boys 3 & 5, girl 1.

Sign in to follow this topic