Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Nappies

Learn More
The Huggies Forum is closed for new replies and topics, you can still read older topics.

Measles Lock Rss

Hi
My daughter has been in contact at daycare with another baby who just found out they have measles, I was wondering if anyone knows what signs to look for, I read that they may get flu symptoms and today she has a runny nose and cough
Thanks

R NSW

I found this hope it helps good luck with your little one
Signs and Symptoms:
Measles, also called rubeola, is best known for its typical skin rash. It is, however, primarily a respiratory infection. The first symptoms are irritability, runny nose, eyes that are red and sensitive to light, hacking cough, and a fever as high as 105 degrees Fahrenheit (40.6 degrees Celsius).

Fever peaks with the appearance of the rash, which typically begins on the forehead, then spreads downward over the face, neck, and body. The child is particularly ill-looking during the first days of the rash. It usually takes about 3 days for the rash to make its way down to the feet. Once the rash appears on the legs and feet, symptoms usually subside within 2 days.

The rash itself looks like large flat red to brown blotches that often flow into one another to completely cover the skin, especially on the face and shoulders. The rash fades in the same order that it appeared, forehead first and feet last. The total time for the rash, from beginning to end, head to toe, is usually about 6 days. As the rash disappears, the healing skin may look brown temporarily, before it sheds in a finely textured peel.

One special identifying sign of measles is Koplik's spots. These are small, red, irregularly-shaped spots with blue-white centers found inside the mouth. Koplik's spots usually appear 1 to 2 days before the measles rash and may be noticed by a doctor looking for the cause of a child's fever and cough.

Measles can lead to many different complications: croup, bronchitis, bronchiolitis, pneumonia, conjunctivitis, myocarditis, hepatitis, and encephalitis. Measles can also make the body more susceptible to ear infections or pneumonias caused by bacteria. Symptoms and complications of measles are usually most severe in adults.
Description:
Measles is a respiratory infection caused by the measles virus. Before immunization was available, measles occurred in springtime epidemics, usually in cycles of 2 or 3 years.

Infants are generally protected from measles for 6 to 8 months after birth, due to immunity that was passed on from their mothers. Older children are usually immunized against measles according to state and school health regulations. Currently, outbreaks of measles are occurring most often on college campuses, among young persons who have either not been adequately immunized against measles, or whose immunity has decreased since childhood.

Sydney,twin boys 22/10/04+girl 26/03/02

Sign in to follow this topic