Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Nappies

Learn More
The Huggies Forum is closed for new replies and topics, you can still read older topics.

smokey environment Lock Rss

my son is almost 5 months and for the 1st 11days of his life he was in NICU for respriotry problems. i have a friend that smokes inside her house and so does her husband, so it get very smokey in their house. i havent taken william there yet because of that reason and she is a bit upset about it am i being paraniod about having him in that environment every now and then or is it a fair call. any advice would be appriciated

kylie,nsw,mum to William & Hannah

HI! Of course its a fair call. The welfare of your child takes over everything else. My husband smokes, but smokes outside. His family smoke and their house is full of smoke, there are like 6 smokers and they amoke on the lounge with my son next to them. They think its ok cause she smoked through all her pregnancies and with her kids so mine will be fine, but they didnt know the dangers back then. I now ask my husbands family to step outside and if we r coming not to smoke in the house for a few hours before we get there. Perhaps your friend can come to you where it is smoke free. I had a pamphlet on smoking that says even after the actual smoke has gone, the poisons linger in the air for at least 24 hours. This is unsafe for a baby with a healthy respitory system. if your baby is still havinf difficuties I would def not take his over there while they r smoking. Its not fair on you or your child

Ashton 13/8/04, dylan 27/8/05, #3 due 22/9/07

Hi kylie,

I have the same concern. Im am returning to work soon and have had the hard choice of sending my little man to day care or to my hubbys auntys house. The choice is hard because day care is too expensive and wouldnt make it worthwhile returning anyway, and my hubbys aunty is a smoker also in the house.

We have asked her if she would look after bubs twice a week and are trying too think of a nice way to ask that she smokes outside while he is over. We thought it best if we mention the higher risk of SIDS with smoke around and ask nicely if she would smoke outside on those 2days she has him. I really hope she isnt offended by i really think she will understand.

Maybe you should also make your friend aware that you perfer your little one in a smoke free environment, and if you do go to visit sit outside or ask her to come visit you. Hope this helps.

Jesse 27/03/05 Kynan 19/07/07 Amber 12/03/09

Hi Kylie,

As a parent we have concerns and make decisions based on our instincts and no matter how prudence we may seem to others our intincts are for the best interest of our babies so there is no need to feel that you are not giving her a fair go.

When our kids are young they cant tell you what they want or what is best for them therefore they need us to protect them from harms way. Inhaling smoking will be harmful to your little one even if its not much. Its bad enough we cant decide when we are on the street but in most cases we can decide.

I was told once that smoke stays on your clothes, hair and the things that it gets in contact with for up to 4 hours even if we dont smell it especially in clothing it stays in the materials. Inhaling smoke second hand (passive smoking) is worst then actually smoking.

You have reason to be worry as your son has NICU for respiratory problems and its an easy feeling upsetting others with your decision but you are doing the right thing by your son so please dont feel bad. i dont think that your friend should be angry but instead more understanding, thats what real friends do for each other.

My hubby and I quit stop smoking cold turkey when we found out that I was pregnant, our daughter is one now and we havent looked back on this decision. I try to avoid putting her in a situation where she'd have to inhale smoke as often as I can so you should be proud of your choice.

At the end of the day I am sure you wont deny that protecting our family's well being and health is the priority of any parent and often we based our decisions in relation to them based on this perspective.

Hope this helps and all the best.

Cheers,

Phoenix
I have never taken my children into a smokey environment.Most of my family & friends smoke but they all know that if they want us to visit they have to smoke outside,if your friend is a true friend she shouldn't mind none of mine have & my eldest is 5.
None of mine have ever had a respriotry problem this was just my personal choice,if you believe this is not good for your child then dont do it always put William first & you will never go wrong

Jodie,7yo,Nearly 6yo,2yo boys & OMG a baby girl

You are a totaly loving parent!!!!!

definately don't take your little one into a toxic environment. I also think you should tell your friend the reason why you wont take him there. Suggest you could meet out somewhere, a cafe (they are smoke free!!!)

congratulations on being a srrong mother!!!
Mel

nsw 12 mth girl

Sign in to follow this topic