Nappies

Learn More
  1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Baby
  4. Caring for your Baby
  5. Routine for 6 month old.

Routine for 6 month old. Rss

I just wanted to know what routine other mums have for their 6 month old. My 6 1/2 month boy is still sleeping up to 3 times a day and gets tired and grizzly after 1 and half to 2 hours of up time. Can sometimes make it to 2 1/2. He is sleeping less but cant seem to stay up a bit longer yet. He doesnt seem to be teething, but seems grizzly after 1 hour. I do give him things to play with. He has 3 solid meals a day and still can have 5 bottles with the 5th bottle a top up before bed. I know every baby is differnent. I am just curious.

JZ mum to Bradley 17/08/03 and Heidi 25/02/06

Hi JZ,

I have a daughter who is 5 1/2 months old and I think I am absolutely blessed, she is such a happy placid baby. I have tried to have a routine with her since I got her home from hospital which of course has changed as she's gotten older.
Lucy wakes up in the morning at around 7.15, and has her breakfast about 7.30 (she has been on solids for almost 5 weeks), around 9.00 she goes down for a sleep which is usually for about 1/2 to 1 hour (unless she's been to swimming which tires her out and she sleeps for close to 2 hours). She then plays till she has lunch at about 12.30, has another sleep at around 2 - 2.30 and this sleep usually takes her to close to 4.30.
Then she plays again, has a bath at 5.30, veges bottle and bed by about 6.30 - 7.00 (although sometimes she is still talking to herself until 8ish).
She sometimes gets grizzly in the afternoon if she doesn't get a long sleep, but with some cuddling she is usually ok. She will also get a little cranky sometimes if she hasn't had much time playing by herself, I think it's over stimulation.
In the last 2 or 3 weeks she has decided that she only needs 3 feeds & bottles a day which is great, now we're all eating together.
That's pretty much our day (minus the details about our singing, dancing and playing together!).
Dan
Hi JZ,

My almost 7 month old baby is very similar to yours. She has three sleeps a day, usually only up a max of two hours and then sleeps about 2. She has two - three solid meals and 4 milk feeds. When I go out, sometimes she stays up longer (one feed to the next), but will then often have a bigger sleep later on or the next day.

Cheers,
Bron

Mum to DD 08.08.03 and DS 12.05.05

Hi JZ,

My boy is now 6mths old. He usually wakes between 7 - 8am, and has rice-cereal plus fruit. He stays up until approx 10.30 - 11am, then goes down for a sleep of half an hour to 1 hour. When he wakes he plays on his playmat for a while until he gets bored then I give him some lunch which is usually vanilla custard (+ bottle if he wants) then he is up until approx 3pm. He then has a nap until approx 4-4.30pm, this is his longest sleep of the day. When he wakes we play together with toys or I read to him then I start his evening meal at 5pm, which is usually pumpkin + corn mixed with shredded cheese (or other vegies) then followed with vanilla custard (he loves it!!!). Before we know it, it's 6pm, then he has a bath until approx 6.30pm, then a bottle (if he wants) at 7pm then straight to bed after that. He sometimes wakes only once and other times he sleeps straight through until approx 5.30am when I give him a bottle then he sleeps until anywhere between 7 - 8am. At the moment he is teething so he's been waking twice during the night, but he isn't hard to settle after a bottle.

Good luck.

Sam

Mum to toddler

Hi JZ
My son is 8 1/2 months old but has been in a similar routine to this since 6 months:

5 or 6 am: wakes for feed, goes straight back to sleep

8am: breakfast & breastfeed then play etc

10 or 11 am - 12pm: sleep

12pm: lunch & bf then play etc

2 or 3 pm - 4pm: sleep

4pm: bf then play

6pm - 7pm : dinner, bath, bf then bed.

This is only rough, somedays he'll have a 2 hr & a 1hr sleep other times he'll have 2 x 1hr sleeps. There are days when he'll be tired after being up only 1 or 2 hours. If you are concerned (although he sounds pretty normal to me) speak to your Child Health Nurse - I'm sure they'll put your mind at ease. Also one of the sleep clinics such as Karitane would be a good place to get advice from.
Hope this helps.

Jasmine
Hi, my daughter is nearly 6 mths old and this is her routine.

Wakes b/w 3-5 am for a breast feed. Straight back to sleep.

6-8am another breast feed, possibly some rice cereal. Up for an half hour to hour. Back 2 sleep.

9-10am wakes up and has another breast feed. (sml feed) and some rice cereal, just starting to mix apple.

Might not sleep until after 1pm breastfeed. Depends. We usually go out walking and to shops at this time. If home, may have sleep or she get cranky.

Arvo sleep usally until 4 or 4.30pm. Breast feed.

Bath at 6.30, breast feed, bed, by 7-7.30. Wake her at 10 for a feed.

Sometimes I feel like I have no idea what I am doing and whether or not I am doing right thing. But she mostly happy so I must do ok. So hard to figure things out. Takes a good 6 mths to get decent sleep pattern. Well for me anyway.
Sign in to follow this topic