Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Nappies

Learn More
The Huggies Forum is closed for new replies and topics, you can still read older topics.
  1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Baby
  4. Caring for your Baby
  5. Insect repellant & sunscreen

Insect repellant & sunscreen Lock Rss

Hi there,

Can anyone recommend an insect repellant and a sunscreen I can use on my 11 month old son. I'm not sure if I can use repellants on him or perhaps a natural alternative?

I am trying to walk everyday to lose weight but the flies are driving me crazy! And Kai will sit in his pram talking and babbling and is likely to catch a fly in his mouth! They are so wrong!!

I have a sun shade for the pram which I am using now but what about when we are out in the backyard? I just want one that is safe for babies (you know how everything goes into their mouths).

Hope someone can help!

Thanks,

Elle, DS: Kai 20/11/04 & DS: Jamie 13/02/07

Hey,
I bought the baby sunscreen from Coles, i'm not sure what age you can use suscreen from cos my boy is 14 months and just the last 2 months or so, i have started to take him outside and putting sunscreen on him. I used to take him outside still, but not in the really sunny parts of the day and kept him in the shade, but that's not easy to do since he started walking and now i take him out when i hang the washing etc on in the morning and late arvo. Sorry getting off track!!!
As i said, i'm not sure what age you can put sunscreen on, i am thinking it to be 12 months, but don't quote me on that! I know you can get sunscreen made for kids who are too young to wear the normal stuff you buy from shops at a skin cancer clinic!
Hope this helps, but i bought the Baby sunscreen from Coles!

kelly, NSW, 4year old and 2 year old boys and expe

I went to a chemist and they gave me a Hammilton brand sunscreen, and my little girl was only 5 1/2 months old at the time, and it was safe to use on her then. it is a really good one too, 30+ and water resistant for up to 4 hours use. wasn't cheap but it beat hannah getting skin cancer later in life!
As for insect repellents, be careful what you use as some products contain an ingredient called "deet" (short for some crazy long scientific name!). Deet should not be used on children and even on pregnant women as it is a strong chemical and can make kids very sick (although very effective against bugs!).
Sign in to follow this topic