Huggies® Ultimate
Nappies

Learn More

Haircut Rss

Hi,
Was wondering how to cut babys hair?.
Any suggestions?.
M wink
Just curious, how old is bub and is hair curly or straight?

JZ mum to Bradley 17/08/03 and Heidi 25/02/06

Hi,
he is 11 months and its straight. Tried with the sissors but not a good job! Don't think he will sit if I take him to a hairdresser!. If I bought clippers, would they b worth it?.
M
Im dreading the whole haircut thing. Maybe try when he is watching TV?

JZ mum to Bradley 17/08/03 and Heidi 25/02/06

Hi Meta,

My daughter is 17 months and we have only really trimed her fringe so far... but for us it is a 2 parent operation. My daughter sits on my lap and my husband does the cutting. We have found using proper hair dressers scissors to be the best too... they are sharp and cut the hair nicely. Clippers would be good for a boy, but the sound might scare him a bit. Maybe if you show your boy the clippers going and make them not scarey it would be a godd start. Then make sure you have an extra pair of hands to help you out.

Goodluck with the hair cutting smile

Michelle
I tried with the scissors first and found with George's tendancy to move without warning (even when held by his dad) was rather nerveracking. Went for the clippers this time after making sure he saw me doing his Dad's hair first. His dad then held him while I trimmed the back (the rest was fine). It worked reasonably well. I don't know how I'd do it for a girl though.

Best of luck.

Rachelle, NZ, son George 10.12.02, Ian 15.06.04

Hi, Jack (13mths) has had 3 haircuts now (and going for his 4th) I take him to the hairdresser, he gets to wear a cape over his clothes and is really good. Theres a pic of him at the yahoo pics of us!
You'll prob be surprised at how still they sit when a stranger is fussing over them!
Jo

mum of 1

I'm lucky as my sister is a hairdresser. It might be worth going to the hairdresser as they are probably used to wriggling kids smile. Perhaps when you have your hair cut, you can take bub along and just ask them to give bub a quick trim when they have finished you. Also bub will have seen you get your hair cut and hopefully won't mind theirs being done.

Mum to DD 08.08.03 and DS 12.05.05

Hi

I'm a hairdresser of 16years and have a bit of experience with cutting kids hair including first cuts.
I think it is worth trying the hairdressers, believe me they are used to it (we used to give a certificate for the first cut) or try a mobile hairdresser.
My opinion (other hairdressers may take a different approach), but I think the less stress the kids get the better. If a little one came and wasn't going to be cooperative (and there were a few) I found that when the parents held the head and told them off to sit still, it actually made it worse. I would rather chase the head around rather than the baby get upset. Another thing that seemed to work sometimes was getting a grandparent to take them, it was surprising how different they were.
But if you are going to attempt it at home, I would suggest wait til he's snoozing and just do the bits that are in the way ie; fringe, around the ears and at the nape. The clippers are ok if they don't scare, and they can also give a nasty cut if your baby turns suddenly, whereas with scissors your more likely to cut yourself rather than the baby. Also clippers are little severe and will make him look heaps older, (but that's just a personal thing)
I cut a friends little boys hair the other day, I did it in front of the Wiggles.......something for me to sing along to.......hehe

Good Luck Karen

baby boy, 12/03

Hi Karen,

Thanks for the great tips! I have taken them on board as I am finding it to be increasingly difficult to get my 17 month old daughter to sit still to brush her hair let alone cut it! sad

It is nice when someone who can offer proffessional experience steps in to save the day smile

Thanks

Michelle.
A Lock of Hair
From a child so fair
A miracle from above
Placed gently in my care
This child is growing
Up so fast
Tomorrow's the future
Today is the past.

Walking...talking...
Fading riddles and rhymes
This lock of hair remains
A keepsake of past times.

--------------------------------------

A Lock of My Baby's Hair
Nothing more precious to keep
In tones of a hue so deep
As soft as a silent prayer
A lock of my baby's hair
I catch it before it lands
And save each shiny strand
Remembrance of one more step
Of my baby's growing up
Within this poem it will be
And placed for all to see.
hi well my daughter is 12 mths old an she had her first haircut about a month ago and she was really good just sat up and really behaved herself hope shes that good next time.
Sign in to follow this topic