Be comfortable in your skin – this is a judgement free zone. Find out more!

Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Nappies

Learn More

Teaching baby NO Rss

Hiya,
My name is Jo and I have an eight and half month old baby girl, Allira.
Just wondering when and how is a good way to teach bub's NO.
I have basically removed or moved all the things that I didn't want Allira getting into or that could harm her. She is crawling now and pulling herself up on everything possible but there are still a couple of things I can't keep her away from. Like the firescreen and the oven. I have been trying to teach her no and to start with she was paying attention but no longer listens to me and I am stumped as to what to do next.
I have my mother telling me that I should be taching her no and my mother in-law telling me that it's probably not a good idea as by telling them no they will want to keep doing it even more.
So what do I do? Any suggestions?
Thanks heaps,
Jo.

Jo, Tassie. First Daughter Allira 20/6/05

Hi Jo

I am having the same problem with my 11 month old son ! He just laughs at me and does it more when i say no to something - so i can see where your MIL is coming from...
I'm looking forward to reading how other mum's deal with this matter as it is frustrating smile

BTW - my cousin's daughter's name is Alera also (obvioulsy spelt different to yours). It's not a name you hear very often but it is lovely isn't it smile

Kel
I found DD use to laugh at me to start with. I introduced a loud clap of my hands along with a firm 'no'. That got her attention and she seemed to realise that I meant business (so to speak). A good one I learnt from the introduction to Child Care (DD starts part time in 7 weeks) is to pay no attention to DD after she is bad. For example, every now and then she will bite me, not particularly hard. Its a habbit I want to stop so I say do the clap (if I can) and firm 'No' then put her down and pay no attention to her at all. I've used the no attention thing more lately, seem to be working well. I like the whole naughty chair idea too, 1 minute for each year (age).

DD is 3yr 8 months - DS is 6 months

Sign in to follow this topic