Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Nappies

Learn More

Car travel tips? Lock Rss

Hi,

We're off on our first long car trip this weekend and I'm wondering if anyone has any great journey survival tips?

We haven't gone longer than about 40 minutes in the car with our 8 month old (did fly from Canberra to Adelaide and back though!), and we're looking at a 4-5 hour trip (without feed/nappy change stops factored in). Tim is a very curious baby and normally sleeps about 2, maybe 3, hours during the day. I'm wondering how to keep him entertained for the rest of the time......

Also, we're only away for a few days, but I suppose that's long enough to mess up his routine (and wouldn't you know it, he's only just started sleeping well....). Any tips on how to get back to 'normal' once home?

Thanks,
Angela.

Angela; Tim (b. 17.7.05), Will (b. 30.11.07)

It's recommended that with a baby you should stop every 2-3 hours and take them out of the car seat. This usually works in with feeding anyway. We went away at Christmas when our DD was 4 months old. No other tips apart from that as they are too young and don't need entertaining as then end up sleeping most of the time anyway.

Just try and stick to your rountine as much as possible. At this age they are constantly changing their routines so it shouldn't make much difference.
Hi everyone the first time we ever had a long drive was at Christmas time and that was down to Sydney and that was 15 hours and our daughter was only 6 months old at the time,

And the only way I could keep her busy was by singing, giving her toys, feeding her and play music for her and it did some of the way, be we all couldnt wait to get out of the home.

Than we had to drive be to home that is Brisbane and that was other 15 hours.

Tracey,Jaye (girl)12/06/05, Sam (boy)10/07/09

hey
id definetly be taking regular breaks.....every 3 hours at the most. it is not good for bub to be in the same position for long periods....plus its good to get out and stretch ur own legs, have a toilet break and give buba a feed and grab sum much needed fresh air.
take cd's with you ! and if bub gettn grizzly then sit in the back with him and sing and play while she sits in his car seat. sings songs, clap hands etc etc.
gluk n hope it goes well.
don't worri about ur routines at the moment, go with the flow and have a good time, try and stik to it but don't stress.

Danni, WA,

Sign in to follow this topic